Reload this Page >

Cars in Canada ?

Cars in Canada ?

Old Apr 18th 2005, 8:45 pm
Forum Regular

Gill n Neil is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cars in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Juice is cheap by comparison, but you just know the price will rise !!!! :scared:

Long live the noveau hippies !!!!

Hi
I thought I would make a quick comment, what you have to remember is that even though the fuel is much cheaper you have so much greater distances and to be honest it it could work out not that much cheaper - overall might help to take this into consideration when purchasing...

Best wishes

Gill

Last edited by Gill n Neil; Apr 18th 2005 at 8:47 pm.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:11 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
...SNIP...

The SUV is all about marketing and image and the car companies cant believe there luck that people will buy a tarted up $30k truck for $50k plus. The manufacturers also love them because technically they are regulated as light trucks, which means that they dont contribute to the regulated limits for average fuel economy required for the company to avoid heavy fines. In simple terms SUVs dont have to be either as clean or efficient as a passenger vehicle. Its a free country, and people will drive what they want to. I felt I needed a SUV when I landed...partly cos of the weather, partly cos of the sheer size of everything else on the road here. I made an expensive mistake.
Well, my status on eClient changed this evening and Mississauga have written to me with their decision on my spousal application (didn't actually tell me what the decision is...) - all I wanted to say is (hopefully) I am going to make an expensive mistake in September... I need to get it out of my system...

Having just put £54 petrol in my 1.8 litre Renault Laguna I think I deserve a silly vehicle for a while.
Old Apr 18th 2005, 9:15 pm
kerri

iaink....didn't you say you use to own a 4x4 at one point? For those that like it big, the spring will see the introduction of the new Hummer 'H3'. Get your wallets out big boys and girls

Old Apr 18th 2005, 10:49 pm
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Well, my status on eClient changed this evening and Mississauga have written to me with their decision on my spousal application (didn't actually tell me what the decision is...) - all I wanted to say is (hopefully) I am going to make an expensive mistake in September... I need to get it out of my system...

Having just put £54 petrol in my 1.8 litre Renault Laguna I think I deserve a silly vehicle for a while.
OUCH thats a sore one

I gave up filling my Vectra up, I think thats about £55 as well
I only put in what I need, a bit of false ecomomy in a sense, its just the thought of parting with nearly £60, its a sore one !!!!!!!!!!

Eddie
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pchapman
Yes, that's why I like small, nimble cars that are easy to keep under control. I pay attention to the road and keep my car in top shape. The most survivable crash is one that never happens.

Fifteen years accident-free, so something's going right.
Originally Posted by iaink
Doesnt necessarily tell you how likely you are to avoid the accident in the first place though, or what would happen to anyone you happen to hit, and many SUVs are very bad in both cases.

These factors mostly show up as more expensive premiums for SUVs than regular cars, as they get in more trouble and do more damage when they do.
Good driving skills are no guarantee of freedom from accidents! If that were the case, we wouldn't NEED insurance
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:56 am
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road

Nevermind your SUV's.
anyone driving any Campervans???!!!
We are missing our Bedford
Old Apr 19th 2005, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

Calgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond reputeCalgal has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
Nevermind your SUV's.
anyone driving any Campervans???!!!
We are missing our Bedford
Some of 'em are like houses on wheels...lol
Old Apr 19th 2005, 4:25 am
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally Posted by Subj
Have it your way people I, for one, am getting me a used V8 Grand Cherokee to drive for a couple of years before (hopefully) moving to something like an Hummer H2. Yes, they do drink a lot of gas, but hey, my 2.3 4 cyl Merc in Germany was consuming (in terms of cash) more than any V8 will in Canada (gas is at almost 2 CAD$/l here). And even if the gas prices go up - there are worse way to spend your cash. Plus, I love big-a$$ engines, and having a mighty sports car in a country with the speed limit of 100Km/h is not exactly the wisest strategic move. So it is the Jeep.

P.S. To all those who will call me an environment killer or whatever - please be aware that I don't buy that tree hugging crap .
I recommend that everyone fresh off the boat goes and buys the biggest North American vehicle they can get their hands on. I think it's healthy to go through that phase.

It's a bit like North American beer: I drank lots of it in college because it was cheap and served by the pitcher. But once you start earning some money you move on to better stuff...
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:03 am
Forum Regular

Subj is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
FWIW, when you're in your Hummer and you see Canadians wiggling their pinky fingers at you, they aren't waving 'hello'. lol...
FYI - Canadians that will be "wiggling their pinky fingers" at me can stick their wiggling pinky fingers up their wiggling a$$es , sorry could not resist.

The point I was trying to get across was that not everybody views a car as a brick on four wheels that gets you from point A to point B with as much interior space as possible. There are also those that enjoy the low-pitched growl of a V8, the overwhelming low-rev torque, off-road capabilities or simply the looks of an SUV. So do not prejudge people based on what they drive, this is strictly the domain of personal preferences.

Last edited by Subj; Apr 19th 2005 at 7:13 am.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 7:23 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
But once you start earning some money you move on to better stuff...
Please define "better stuff" as far as driver's cars in Canada are concerned. I, personally, would think something like a Mercedes SL500 would classify as "better stuff" - but then again what do you do with a car like this in a 100Km/h country? So I guess the only choice, for those of us wanting a bit more power and torque than an average four-wheeled shoebox can deliver, is the SUV.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 9:57 am
kerri

Kudos for your first sentence there !

Originally Posted by CalgaryAMC
I recommend that everyone fresh off the boat goes and buys the biggest North American vehicle they can get their hands on. I think it's healthy to go through that phase.

It's a bit like North American beer: I drank lots of it in college because it was cheap and served by the pitcher. But once you start earning some money you move on to better stuff...

Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:21 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Please define "better stuff" as far as driver's cars in Canada are concerned. I, personally, would think something like a Mercedes SL500 would classify as "better stuff" - but then again what do you do with a car like this in a 100Km/h country? So I guess the only choice, for those of us wanting a bit more power and torque than an average four-wheeled shoebox can deliver, is the SUV.
Well no. If you want tyre melting power and torque you want a Mustang or a Camaro, that's all you see at the drag strip because they're unbeatable bang for the buck, 390hp/$38k :

http://motortrend.com/roadtests/coup...0402_up_cobra/

It's not true that cars here are driven at 100 kilometres per hour, if the highway is clear I go at 90mph as that seems to be the speed at which one is not ticketed. Note that "if the highway is clear" though, around Toronto I reckon to average 11mph; the speed at which Kennedy was traveling when he was shot. There is that much traffic.

There aren't any corners to speak of in Ontario so handling isn't much of any issue, lack of it is something for which one can knock the muscle cars but, since you mention SUVs, you obviously don't care about that. I don't particularly object to SUVs, I have an Escape, but they're not particularly functional and they don't offer a lot of usable power; they just look nice. If what you want is to look nice by all means get one, I have a sneaking admiration for the owner of the pink H2 I see around here.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 11:56 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by dbd33
I have a sneaking admiration for the owner of the pink H2 I see around here.
Pink Hummer... god save us :scared:
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:26 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

FYI - Canadians that will be "wiggling their pinky fingers" at me can stick their wiggling pinky fingers up their wiggling a$$es , sorry could not resist.
Well, that's obvious.

So do not prejudge people based on what they drive, this is strictly the domain of personal preferences.
Anyone's 'personal preferences' open them up to prejudice from others; that's life. True, it is a prejudice that many Canadians hold that someone with a 'personal preference' for ‘muscle vehicles’ is someone who feels they lack muscle elsewhere. It's also true, people hold prejudices about me because of my personal preferences.

If the pinky wigglers really bother you, you could just drive over them all.
Old Apr 19th 2005, 12:45 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
If the pinky wigglers really bother you, you could just drive over them all.
Always an option

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.