Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

carpenter - job hunting british col or alberta??

Wikiposts

carpenter - job hunting british col or alberta??

Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:10 am
Forum Regular

fester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the rough
Default Re: carpenter - job hunting british col or alberta??

Hi,

I have arrived back but husband stopped on for another week making sure everything in place re: Job offer.
We started in Calgary and headed towards Vancouver, reached Kelowna and got no further, its fab there. Got 4 job offers, employers agreeing to go thru PNP etc. Headed back to Calgary to follow up a job offer there which we are proceeding with. We have a registered immigration consultant who is taking care of temp work permit, liaising with employer and also dealing with PR application etc, everything seems to be going to plan, fingers crossed.

The job offers received ranged from $20 - $35 per hour starting rate, the best rates seem to be in custom homes rather than general housing developments. It was hard work driving round all the building sites, dropping resumes off etc. but its got to be worth it. The quality of life there just does not compare. I would recommend contacting the major custom home builders rather than building sites/developments as most carpenters there work in teams/crews. Also, we found everyone to be very helpful in our job search, always trying to point you in the right direction. We could of got 10 times the amount of job offers, but the problem is getting someone prepared to wait for permits etc. From my experience there I dont think the stories are true regarding only giving the good jobs to Canadians.

Well just wish we could fast-forward 3-4 months now and get back there.

Hope this info helps.

Fester.....

Originally Posted by wizfox
Hi Fester would be interested to hear how you got on on your rekki, my husband is also a carpenter/joiner time served with over 25 years experience we were in Banff, Calgary, Jasper and Edmonton over the New Year period, papers full of jobs, we are considering applying but we here some stories about only giving good jobs to Canadians, and as joiners are also in short supply here we have to weigh that up as wages are so good here, so would like to know how you got on.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 9:24 am
Forum Regular

fester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the roughfester is a jewel in the rough

Hi Jackie,
Just got back, posted reply on web-site, you should take a look.
We also had applied for loads of jobs via internet etc. with no replies, from what we have experienced on our visit, your husband needs to get out there for at least two weeks and travel around and meet people. All we did was approach as many companies as possible (looked thru local yellow pages) with resume, references and copy trade certificates in a file, and tried to sell ourselves, must have handed out about 15 resume packs. If you are determined to go you will succeed, all you are having to cover is the cost of flights(look at zoom airlines), car hire and cheap digs, but I'm sure you will get the results you want. I lot of the carpenters out there are self employed and work in crews but they are not on that good a wages. Try the custom home builders, thats where we found the best response and pay.
hope this helps and good luck.

Originally Posted by jackie owens
HI, We are hoping to move to Chestermere nr Calgary in May, my husband is a carpenter and we have also been told they are desperate for carpenters, but he has applied for loads of jobs but no one wants to know until we actually move there. We were hoping to be able to get a job offer to try and speed up our visa's but this also seems to be a no go! It also seems that most carpenters are self-employed so it might be worth looking into sub-contracting. Good Luck in job hunting, if you find anyone willing to sponsor you let us know!!

Chestermere is a beautiful Town, with all amenities close to hand, except for supermarkets, but one is currently being built. Highly recommend you take a look here, its only about 20-25 minutes from Calagary airport which is ideal for visitors.
Old Jan 26th 2006, 7:47 pm
Forum Regular

wizfox will become famous soon enoughwizfox will become famous soon enough

Congratulations, you must let me know how it all pans out and also if the immigration officer is worth his dosh. Bet you cant wait.