Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Carpenter and the big question .. where to move to!!!

Carpenter and the big question .. where to move to!!!

Old Jan 25th 2010, 6:06 pm
Just Joined

konagirl will become famous soon enough
Default Carpenter and the big question .. where to move to!!!

Hi this whole forum thing is a little new so sorry if i am repeating the same questions over again but it takes hours looking through so many past post hoping to find that bit of info you need ....

Any way we are currently awaiting our PRV to come back to us then we are off to find our dream location.. or a place till that we can do, My Fiance is a carpenter and i will classify as unskilled as i am a sports therapist and they wont reconisge my qualifications. So the dilema where to move to ...

WE are not intreset in the big city's i'm just a small town couple .. we love the communitie feel, we really liked fernie, ut feel it is very isolated if you can't find work.

Sports wise in a dream world would love to live somewhere that we can snowboard, ski in winter, waterski and downhill mountiain bike in the summer, and house price's are resonable with a opptunity to renovate the odd house in our spare time....

Oh and BC/ Alberta is our focus.... Any ideas?????? Thank you
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:16 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Carpenter and the big question .. where to move to!!!

Originally Posted by konagirl
Hi this whole forum thing is a little new so sorry if i am repeating the same questions over again but it takes hours looking through so many past post hoping to find that bit of info you need ....

Any way we are currently awaiting our PRV to come back to us then we are off to find our dream location.. or a place till that we can do, My Fiance is a carpenter and i will classify as unskilled as i am a sports therapist and they wont reconisge my qualifications. So the dilema where to move to ...

WE are not intreset in the big city's i'm just a small town couple .. we love the communitie feel, we really liked fernie, ut feel it is very isolated if you can't find work.

Sports wise in a dream world would love to live somewhere that we can snowboard, ski in winter, waterski and downhill mountiain bike in the summer, and house price's are resonable with a opptunity to renovate the odd house in our spare time....

Okanagan, Cranbrook-Revelstoke Corridor, Cranbrook-Crowsnest Pass Corridor, Cochrane, Canmore.

I take on board what you say about Fernie, but with the (possible) exception of Cochrane, Kamloops and Kelowna anywhere that fits your criteria is going to feel a little isolated. Small towns in AB/BC are NOT like small towns in the UK.
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

SambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond reputeSambaDeAmigo has a reputation beyond repute

Just saw this thread on the the same page
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650984
Old Jan 25th 2010, 7:20 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SambaDeAmigo
Just saw this thread on the the same page
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=650984
The two threads (openning posts anyway) are NOTHING alike
Old Jan 26th 2010, 11:42 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Okanagan, Cranbrook-Revelstoke Corridor, Cranbrook-Crowsnest Pass Corridor, Cochrane, Canmore.

I take on board what you say about Fernie, but with the (possible) exception of Cochrane, Kamloops and Kelowna anywhere that fits your criteria is going to feel a little isolated. Small towns in AB/BC are NOT like small towns in the UK.
Yeah we understand that, we spent 6 weeks out there travelling across BC. and realized how dirrerent things are but also loved it.

Rossland has been recommended to us, but never got to visit it, also Golden, Revelstoke. Loved Salomon Arms but seem to far from the slopes as i hope to instruct in the winter.

Also considering Penticiton, Kelwona.
Old Jan 26th 2010, 3:58 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Kamloops would seem to fit your criteria quite well. Sports and recreation facilities are unusually good for a city of it's size, and house prices are more reasonable than further south into the Okanagan.

http://www.tourismkamloops.com/home_...ion_ID_68.html
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:13 am
Just Joined

ptooti is an unknown quantity at this point

If you like Sunshine on a daily basis choose the Prairies Manitoba ,Saskatchewan or Alberta else choose the coast.
My husband dislikes BC cause the weather reminds him of Cornwall
Old Jan 27th 2010, 4:31 am
Banned

Originally Posted by ptooti
If you like Sunshine on a daily basis choose the Prairies Manitoba ,Saskatchewan or Alberta else choose the coast.
My husband dislikes BC cause the weather reminds him of Cornwall
Oh dear, first post and it includes a sweeping generalisation, I'm sure R I C H and printer would say the weather in Kamloops and Kelowna is NOTHING like the weather in Redruth.
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Oh dear, first post and it includes a sweeping generalisation, I'm sure R I C H and printer would say the weather in Kamloops and Kelowna is NOTHING like the weather in Redruth.
On our visit i have to say i found once we left fernie and victoria weekend was over all we saw was the sun in BC and i love the mountians too much to be in the praires (sorry really can't spell)

Just receieved our PRV in the Post so 12 days to go and start the hunt for the town that we will call home!!!
Old Jan 27th 2010, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Strawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to beholdStrawberry is a splendid one to behold

Best of luck, it sounds like you have fallen in love with exactly the same areas as us, we toured around those places last year and loved them..
Old Jan 27th 2010, 3:21 pm
Just Joined

ptooti is an unknown quantity at this point

sorry maybe I was a little too general but the statistical data is there to back me up if you are interested in what the weather is like where you choose to live you can check out Canada's Environmental page of historical data...scroll to the bottom of the page and put in your quer
Canadian Climate Normals or Averages 1971-2000
http://www.climate.weatheroffice.gc....s/index_e.html

yes there is sun in BC but there is more grey and rain than there is sun however the prairies have snow so it's just whatever one prefers.