Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Career changers! Jobs before and after you emigrated?

Career changers! Jobs before and after you emigrated?

Old Mar 11th 2019, 9:13 pm
Forum Regular

JasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to beholdJasonTFord is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Career changers! Jobs before and after you emigrated?

Loss adjuster in the UK. Loss adjuster in Canada and now college instructor at a community college.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 4:00 am
Forum Regular

milly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond reputemilly_m has a reputation beyond repute

Forensic psychologist in the UK, outpatient mental health therapist in canada (getting licensed is a pain in the bum)

Husband was an IT engineer in the uk, same here - his actual job title changes every time irrespective of location and I'm still not sure what he actually does 😉
Old Mar 12th 2019, 4:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mogscat
These are really interesting!
My further ed career and quals don't appear to count for anything in Canada so I'm wondering what new directions others have taken in Canada. What's the pathway from high school teacher to store manager? I'm really encouraged to hear that you are enjoying life not only in new country but with new careers too - hoping to achieve the same!

It's not that they don't count, it's that your qualifications (PGCE) are not equal to a Canadian (most Provinces) teachers' qualification - which require a 3 or 4 year degree plus a year or more of teachers training. I know several people who have trained as teachers in the past few years and they have ALL had to undergo some additional training or qualification. Even qualified teachers have struggled to find a permanent position though, so it's not an easy profession to break into, regardless. Perhaps considering going into private schools where you won't need the same qualifications.. or even going for a TEFL certificate, perhaps? it's the equivalency for teaching in the Public School Systems that are much stricter .. and understandably so.
https://work.chron.com/become-elemen...ada-11069.html

Best of luck with your endeavors.

Last edited by Siouxie; Mar 12th 2019 at 4:48 am.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 11:45 am
Forum Regular

mogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond repute

I've already got a CELTA and several years of experience teaching TEFL and ESL in UK and Japan. Alberta Education don't award any credit for that either. Just trying to let any other forum readers know before they waste many months and a lot of money waiting to find that out...
Old Mar 12th 2019, 2:38 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mogscat
I've already got a CELTA and several years of experience teaching TEFL and ESL in UK and Japan. Alberta Education don't award any credit for that either. Just trying to let any other forum readers know before they waste many months and a lot of money waiting to find that out...

I wasn't suggesting that Alberta would give you credit for this towards a teaching certification - it won't.. however, you could use those qualifications for teaching privately, outside the Public School system, perhaps. At least it might give you other options..

https://www.atesl.ca/
https://tesl.ca/certification/tesl-c...ification.html
https://tesl.ca/certification/tesl-c...tion/plar.html
Old Mar 12th 2019, 8:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

The other problem is there are actually not enough teaching positions in Canada for all the aspiring teachers.

I've posted several times, maybe even early in this thread, that even Canadian trained teachers, with every qualification and accreditation, can often find themselves without a permanent job, having to be on the TOC list for years and years ......... unless, that is, they happen to have all the qualifications needed in one of the few disciplines that do need teachers. At the moment, those disciplines in most provinces seem to be mainly French and Special Needs

We have a family member who was on the TOC for 9 years before a permanent position became available. The family member had to move from that area after 2 years, so was back on the TOC list for another 8 years until a permanent position became available 18 months ago.

We know of other people who have been on a TOC list for 10 years or more.

That means only getting work when a permanent teacher is sick or absent for other reason. A substitute teacher gets paid the permanent rate in full, without deductions .............. ie, no medical cover, no benefits, no CPP or OAS.

Remember ....... these are people who have graduated from the Canadian system and are accredited by the College.

Teaching is not an easy profession to get into ....... and an immigrant has the added problem of having to meet the required qualifications and getting accreditation. A teacher won't get a job in Canada from outside the country unless there are very special requirements that they fill .......... and then the school or school board would have to prove to the government that there was no qualified Canadian able or willing to take the position. This means that you have to immigrate without a job, and be prepared to spend time on a TOC list.

However, I know of one private school that has just hired a new Principal (female) from England ........

that may mean that Siouxie's suggestion re trying the private system MIGHT be helpful ......... although the 2 private schools that I know most about here are just as keen on teachers getting the College's accreditation as the public system. In other words, it isn't easier to get into them!
Old Mar 12th 2019, 9:49 pm
Forum Regular

mogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond reputemogscat has a reputation beyond repute

Yes. best to look for something else! Hence the thread exploring what other career changers have done. Currently exploring different work ideas and also affordable locations on entry level salary.
Old Mar 12th 2019, 10:16 pm
Forum Regular

Hindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond reputeHindsight has a reputation beyond repute

Office Administrator in the UK before I left, Grain Plant Manager in Canada now
Old Mar 13th 2019, 5:01 pm
No beginning to my talent

crofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond reputecrofty82 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
Our ultimate aim is to operate a small winery making mead from our honey, flavoured by fruit that we also grow. However, I am in my mid 50s now and I am not sure I will live long enough to negotiate the bizarre alcohol laws in Ontario to make that happen.
Nice to find a fellow mead-making enthusiast on here! If you follow through with your aim and our PR is ever approved, you have your first customer ready and waiting.
Old Mar 13th 2019, 7:02 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

General layabout (hourly) UK...now a professional layabout (salaried) Canada