Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car servicing costs?

Car servicing costs?

Old Apr 25th 2007, 9:59 pm
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light
Question Car servicing costs?

Hey

Just had my car serviced 3 years old so first MOT as well and a new tyre £468 just what we need before next weeks holiday to Ontario, I was wondering what the average car service cost in Canada compared to the uk?

Although the garage did wash my car the generous sods!!!

Danny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:17 pm
Forum Regular

Rachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant futureRachelmark has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car servicing costs?

firstly there are no MOT's here so you don't get the money spinning scenario found in the UK. The downside of course is that some of the sheds on wheels have to be seen to be believed.

The issue with car servicing is that it's generally every 5000 kilometers due to the cold and requirement for frequent oil changes. If you go fully synthetic apparently this can get you back to longer intervals. Depends on your warranty though - many insist on the 5k interval.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 10:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

I think we pay 100-150 CAD on average (Kia Sorento), haven't had any non-warranty parts need replacing/repairing yet, which is good! I know I'm not comparing like with like but we were over a grand GBP for a service on a Grand Cherokee in the UK. So we're happy

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Hey

Just had my car serviced 3 years old so first MOT as well and a new tyre £468 just what we need before next weeks holiday to Ontario, I was wondering what the average car service cost in Canada compared to the uk?

Danny
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:01 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

We just paid $395 for a service on a dodge caravan which included new transmission fluid, normal oil change and new power steering fluid.

Just put two new tyres on the 'Van - Goodyears - and that came to $412 (200 quid)
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:16 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

My Jeep Liberty Diesel cost me $130 for an oil change a couple of months ago! Apparently because it uses some exotic oil that is rarely used. (Small diesels being rare in Canada.) It must be fairly exotic since an average oil change for a gas engine is less than $50. No idea on annual service cost yet. You can figure that a main dealer will be charging somewhere around $75 an hour for labour. (probably more in AB).

We use an independent garage to fettle Mrs AX's 03 Dodge SX. Last week he changed the oil, replaced suspension bushes, two brake slave cylinders and fitted 4 new all season tires for $700 odd. That seemed pretty reasonable.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 12:47 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
My Jeep Liberty Diesel cost me $130 for an oil change a couple of months ago! Apparently because it uses some exotic oil that is rarely used. (Small diesels being rare in Canada.) It must be fairly exotic since an average oil change for a gas engine is less than $50. No idea on annual service cost yet. You can figure that a main dealer will be charging somewhere around $75 an hour for labour. (probably more in AB).

We use an independent garage to fettle Mrs AX's 03 Dodge SX. Last week he changed the oil, replaced suspension bushes, two brake slave cylinders and fitted 4 new all season tires for $700 odd. That seemed pretty reasonable.
$34.95 for an oil change at my Toyota dealer here in Calgary on a 2007 Camry Hybrid using 0W20 oil.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 7:56 am
mclauchlan35

mclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of lightmclauchlan35 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Rachelmark
firstly there are no MOT's here so you don't get the money spinning scenario found in the UK. The downside of course is that some of the sheds on wheels have to be seen to be believed.

The issue with car servicing is that it's generally every 5000 kilometers due to the cold and requirement for frequent oil changes. If you go fully synthetic apparently this can get you back to longer intervals. Depends on your warranty though - many insist on the 5k interval.
I guess you have to service your car more often so the cost works out pretty much the same then.

Danny
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:11 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mclauchlan35
Hey

Danny
Oil change every 6000km, roughly $40-50. Full synthetic would run you the $120, but why bother if you have to change it every 6000km.

More major routine services...all the filters and fluids changed etc $250-400.

Major service, including timing belt and two drive shafts replaced $1300

Thankfully some manufacturers have woken up and realised motor oil has moved on from the 1940s and are allowing much longer intervals, or are fitting oil reading systems that tell you when you need to change it now.

In Ontario, although there is no annual safety test, a car needs a safety certificate to be registered by a new owner.

Also once a vehicle is a few years old it has to pass an emmisions test every other year. The test is about $50 or something...been a while since I did it, then there is a cap of $400 or 450 if you have to spend on diagnostics and repairs to get a pass if it fails. If it still doesnt pass you can keep driving it, but it cant be reregisterd by a new owner until it passes the smog and safety tests.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 26th 2007 at 1:54 pm.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

fatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the roughfatdoc is a jewel in the rough

synthetic oil can easily last 7000 miles. more expensive but protects better and lasts longer.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 9:32 pm

Originally Posted by fatdoc
synthetic oil can easily last 7000 miles. more expensive but protects better and lasts longer.
I would expect synthetic oil to last a whole lot longer than 7,000 miles.

The maintenance schedule for my new Camry recommends oil changes every 8,000 km or 5,000 miles with regular oil.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:05 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rachelmark

so what's the annual vehicle inspection then, even on vehicles from new ?

I realise maybe it's not as thorough as a Brit MOT and not as costly, but an inspection is an inspection.
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:28 pm

Originally Posted by Tangram
so what's the annual vehicle inspection then, even on vehicles from new ?

I realise maybe it's not as thorough as a Brit MOT and not as costly, but an inspection is an inspection.
Paul,

Vehicle inspections are very much a provincial thing some do some don't.

New Brunswick does.

Here is a PDF document that spells out the requirements for the NB annual inspection. The first part is all about the licensing and setting up an inspection station but Sections Two and Three spell out what is to be inspected and what is to rejected.

Hope it helps
Steve
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
NB Vehicle Inspection.pdf (816.3 KB, 138 views)
Old Apr 26th 2007, 11:53 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Paul,

Vehicle inspections are very much a provincial thing some do some don't.

New Brunswick does.

Here is a PDF document that spells out the requirements for the NB annual inspection. The first part is all about the licensing and setting up an inspection station but Sections Two and Three spell out what is to be inspected and what is to rejected.

Hope it helps
Steve
Thats great thanks Steve. I did notice that the brand new car had an inspection sticker on the windscreen and a date stamp on it. Looks pretty similar to an MOT from a brief browse and much cheaper if my pal's estimate is anything to go by. But his License fee guess was a little cheaper than the actual was by $25.

Last edited by Tangram; Apr 26th 2007 at 11:56 pm.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 2:16 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I lease my cars and never bother with servicing. Never had a problem.
Old Apr 27th 2007, 1:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fatdoc
However the manufacturers will likely still fuss over drivetrain warranty issues if you have not met their 6000km service requirement, synthetic or not.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.