Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Seats for Toddlers

Car Seats for Toddlers

Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Bsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud ofBsidebaby has much to be proud of
Default Car Seats for Toddlers

Hi

I want to know if there is any point me bringing my forward facing car seat with integral harness straps for my 3 year old?

I have done a bit of research and the harness straps look different with chest clips and tether straps/hook etc on the Canadian ones.

Is it best to buy one out there?

We are going to Ontario.

Thanks
Old Oct 20th 2006, 10:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Stu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond reputeStu-pot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Seats for Toddlers

We took our two car seats with us when we went in 2004, my two were only 2 and 4 then, they fitted the vehicle we'd hired no problem.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

zannahb is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Bsidebaby
Hi

I want to know if there is any point me bringing my forward facing car seat with integral harness straps for my 3 year old?

I have done a bit of research and the harness straps look different with chest clips and tether straps/hook etc on the Canadian ones.

Is it best to buy one out there?

We are going to Ontario.

Thanks
Hi, I asked same question a few weeks ago and people told me on the whole to get them when we are out there. However i would like to take ours with us so i know we have car seats from as soon as we get off the plane and hire a car. I have used our ones (britax hi-liners) in a couple of different cars and they have fitted in them fine so I see no problem with what ever we use in Canada. Hope this helps
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:52 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

If you have a crash and it's discovered your seat was non-compliant, your insurance will be void.

The Canadian seats seem to rely heavily on the tether in the boot and less so on the seatbelt (no clips, levers and complex tensioning stuff on the seatbelt part as there was on my UK Britax Renaissance seat) - I'd be really wary of using one in the other country for any period of time.
Old Oct 20th 2006, 1:56 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Check your seat to see if it has been agreed by Canadian authorities. Write to Britax if necessary.

As a side note, many "nursery" product (sorry, don't know the correct word in English - puriculture) manufacturers* are owned by the Canadian company Doral, so their products may be ok in Canada. To check.

* Bebe confort, Maxi-cosi, Quinny...
Old Oct 20th 2006, 3:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Canada2006
Check your seat to see if it has been agreed by Canadian authorities. Write to Britax if necessary.

As a side note, many "nursery" product (sorry, don't know the correct word in English - puriculture) manufacturers* are owned by the Canadian company Doral, so their products may be ok in Canada. To check.

* Bebe confort, Maxi-cosi, Quinny...
Hope my daughter's maxi-cosi ff seat is ok 'cos it cost a fortune (and only nine months after spending £100 on a rear-facing one).
Old Oct 20th 2006, 5:36 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sinope
Hope my daughter's maxi-cosi ff seat is ok 'cos it cost a fortune (and only nine months after spending £100 on a rear-facing one).
Depends where you are headed. In BC, no you cannot use anything other than car seats with the Canadian Safety marks. That generally means Canadian or US made only in the West. Britax do sell car seats here that have been marked as acceptable, but imported ones do not have the mark and are therefore excluded. Car seats here are crap too, which is really annoying. I used my Britax though, as when I got here they were still using three point harnesses.

http://www.icbc.com/Road_Safety/carseat.asp
Old Oct 20th 2006, 8:04 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

I was stopped at a Police spot check here in AB

Officer checked the car over, looked inside and said to me.."wheres your tether strap on the car seat?"

My 'what ? ' I replied.

So apparently, my UK car seat (A Maxi Cosi Priori) wasn't compliant as it wasn't tethered to the inside of the car using the bolts provided in the vehicle. An extra safety feature that is "LAW" here.

She warned me that I should have been fined!!!! :scared: But, as I was ignorant of the fact and I played my,<new to the country> card, she let me off, but told me in no uncertain terms to get a new seat.!!!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 9:32 pm
C'est correck

Canada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud ofCanada2006 has much to be proud of

Golly, we've just paid out for an ISOFix Maxi Cosi that cost a fortune and a Romer (Britax) one that was less - thinking about it, the expensive version of the Romer had a tether and our Yaris has a tether hook, but the guy in the shop said the Maxi-Cosi was safer.

Oh well - looks like it'll be another item for ebay...

BTW daughter much prefers the cheaper Romer seat!
Old Oct 20th 2006, 11:12 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

What you could do , if your seat didn't come with a long tether strap, is maybe contact the manufacturer in the UK, and see if they:
a) do one for your seat
b)can get one fitted to your car seat in preparation for using it here.

I didn't bother as my sons car seat was used by my elder son too, and was over 6 yrs old, so I didn't really mind replacing it.
I bought one here (an Eddie Bauer seat, which is actually good quality) that splits down to become a booster eventually, and will do him for the next 4 yrs or so.
Old Nov 10th 2006, 10:10 pm
Forum Regular

KarenT is an unknown quantity at this point

I have 2 year old. I would bring your seat fo the first few days, then go and find a Canadian one. I have to say that I have more confidence in the Canadian seats than the British ones. Other thing is you can use the Canadian one on a plane but not a British one.
Old Nov 11th 2006, 1:39 pm
sticky beaking

Originally Posted by KarenT
I have 2 year old. I would bring your seat fo the first few days, then go and find a Canadian one. I have to say that I have more confidence in the Canadian seats than the British ones. Other thing is you can use the Canadian one on a plane but not a British one.
Not the case. I had used my sons UK seat on 2 flights with different airlines.
As long as it is a fixed frame, 5 point harness and you check with the airlines, then chances are you'll be able to use it.
Virgin didn't let us, as they have their own baby seats (which were pretty naf I have to say), but we had no issues elsewhere.