Car in Regina

Old Dec 27th 2012, 11:24 am
To infinity and Beyond !!

tattoo99 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car in Regina

Hi Guy's ....This has probably been discussed at some stage in the past ...But Just in two minds what to do about transport ..when arrived in regina ..Buy or Hire ???
Any advice Greatly recieved
Old Dec 27th 2012, 12:48 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car in Regina

Originally Posted by tattoo99
Hi Guy's ....This has probably been discussed at some stage in the past ...But Just in two minds what to do about transport ..when arrived in regina ..Buy or Hire ???
I assume by hire you mean lease. Hiring (renting) would be very expensive. Firstly, leasing is certainly cheaper as monthly payments go but after two or three years you'll have no equity in the vehicle. You'll have mileage restrictions and the car will need to be in pristine condition at the lease end. Unless you have the capability to write off the leasing costs then IMO it's not a good idea.
Old Dec 27th 2012, 1:05 pm

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
I assume by hire you mean lease. Hiring (renting) would be very expensive. Firstly, leasing is certainly cheaper as monthly payments go but after two or three years you'll have no equity in the vehicle. You'll have mileage restrictions and the car will need to be in pristine condition at the lease end. Unless you have the capability to write off the leasing costs then IMO it's not a good idea.
Thats made up my mind then ....Maybe try a dealer to buy ..Hope that they will do credit to new arrivals
Old Dec 29th 2012, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

russjp will become famous soon enoughrussjp will become famous soon enough

Thats made up my mind then ....Maybe try a dealer to buy ..Hope that they will do credit to new arrivals
Not much chance of that mate from what i can gather, i`m just gonna buy a cheap second hand motor to see me through till i get settled, been advised by too many people to steer clear of leasing as the charges at the end of the lease can be extortionate if you dont return it in showroom-like condition
Old Dec 29th 2012, 6:40 pm
Blah Blah Blah Blah Blah

Lorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond reputeLorna_D has a reputation beyond repute

you won't get credit, we bought an old banger but when that eventually crashed on us we had to pay through the nose to Mckenzie sales and leasing on albert st. Don't go there the costs were stupid. But it did help get us a credit rating.
Old Dec 29th 2012, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

difficult one ,,,we hired a car for 2wks and picked up at airport(wpeg) had i arranged before we left uk and went back in after 2wks and extended for another 2( cheaper if done face to face not over phone).
and by the end of the month we knew what type of car would fit our needs.also we asked around what cars were not so good and ended up wi a toyota echo 1.5 (small car by Canada standards but good on fuel ,no timing belt(chain) put a set o winter tyres on and was good enough for the booniesran it for 3yrs no probs ,
jimmy
Old Dec 30th 2012, 4:31 am
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jamesmc
difficult one ,,,we hired a car for 2wks and picked up at airport(wpeg) had i arranged before we left uk and went back in after 2wks and extended for another 2( cheaper if done face to face not over phone).
and by the end of the month we knew what type of car would fit our needs.also we asked around what cars were not so good and ended up wi a toyota echo 1.5 (small car by Canada standards but good on fuel ,no timing belt(chain) put a set o winter tyres on and was good enough for the booniesran it for 3yrs no probs ,
jimmy
eewww , you came all the way here to buy an Echo'o'o'o'o'o !!
With fuel and running costs as cheap as they are here why would you do that ? Are you vegans or sandal wearers ? Never had or will have less than 6 and most of the fleet are v8's .
Currently paying 99c/LTR so more smiles per miles in our household .
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:12 am
Forum Regular

where2now will become famous soon enough

Had the same dilemma this year when I came over to Winnipeg, ended up hiring a wee Fiat 500 for a few weeks but cost was getting out of hand.
Was offered an old Dodge Neon to use and had it 4months, once wife and kids came over in October looked at getting a crew cab pick up, older ones c. $10k were over priced rust buckets and getting finance on a new one was almost as expensive as buying with a credit card LOL! Ended up buying an older Jeep Grand Cherokee privately 2003 for under $4k, touch wood it has been ok so far :-)

One point to note, if buying privately you only pay the one tax at registration, taken together with the dealers margin and warranty cost should work out a fair bit cheaper.

Good luck!
Old Dec 30th 2012, 5:17 am
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

It's possible. Our local dealer couldn't give us credit but we'd been here 4 months and our bank manager bent over backwards to get us a short term bank loan over 2 years, slightly higher payments, $190 every 2 weeks, on a Pontiac Montana family carrier!

Try Andersons Autos in Regina, I've heard they are very accomadating to 'newcomers' and have a nice range of motors. They also do short term leasing which might get you going. Good luck.
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

flat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond reputeflat to the mat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nwtrucker
It's possible. Our local dealer couldn't give us credit but we'd been here 4 months and our bank manager bent over backwards to get us a short term bank loan over 2 years, slightly higher payments, $190 every 2 weeks, on a Pontiac Montana family carrier!

Try Andersons Autos in Regina, I've heard they are very accomadating to 'newcomers' and have a nice range of motors. They also do short term leasing which might get you going. Good luck.
You've made it here then ?
Old Dec 30th 2012, 3:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

jamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond reputejamesmc has a reputation beyond repute

lol..FTTM ..picked the wee toyota because wasny going to spend money then find out we didnt like Canada ,anyway it sat in yrd all wk,while i was on the road.
so tight scot it was jimmy
Old Dec 30th 2012, 6:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jamesmc
lol..FTTM ..picked the wee toyota because wasny going to spend money then find out we didnt like Canada ,anyway it sat in yrd all wk,while i was on the road.
so tight scot it was jimmy
Ah that explains it , short arms deep pockets etc
Old Dec 30th 2012, 7:23 pm
JGK
BE Enthusiast

JGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond reputeJGK has a reputation beyond repute

When I first arrived in Canada, I didn't have the wherewithal to afford a new or secondhand car. I did manage to get a finance company to let me lease a car. After the lease was up I had enough saved to buy the car outright.
Old Jan 5th 2013, 5:08 pm
Forum Regular

nwtrucker will become famous soon enoughnwtrucker will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by flat to the mat
You've made it here then ?
Yup bud, here and loving it so far! Family settled in well, I passed Class 1A and and knocking out some decent miles for a decent company, wife starts work tomorrow. Not easy at first on one wage unless you come over with a cart load of dough but with 2 wages coming in should be all good. Put it this way, wild horses couldn't drag us back to Blighty!!
Old Jan 7th 2013, 9:07 am

Originally Posted by nwtrucker

After a bit of looking around ...Trawling the Interweb..I could possibly kill two birds ....As i need to set up a bank account ...Scotiabank are doing a Foreign workers account which covers all my needs ..Plus has an Ongoing
Finance scheme with a few Dealerships ...So Thinking Thats the way forward

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.