Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car purchase in Vancouver?

Car purchase in Vancouver?

Old Jun 26th 2010, 12:36 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough
Default Car purchase in Vancouver?

Hi all,

I'm new to the forum, and arrived in Vancouver only a few days ago.
Was really pleased to find out I don't need to do the driving test.

So I'm thinking about cars. I'm only here for a year. Is it worth buying a car for this period of time, or would it be better to just use public transport/zip cars?

If buying is a reasonable choice, can anyone give me some pointers as to where to look; somewhere I won't get ripped off. Only looking to spend about $10K MAXimum. 4WD is prob important as I want to go out into the rest of BC, Rockies etc.

Cheers!

Mr S
Old Jun 26th 2010, 12:58 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car purchase in Vancouver?

Originally Posted by The Esses
Hi all,

So I'm thinking about cars. I'm only here for a year. Is it worth buying a car for this period of time, or would it be better to just use public transport/zip cars?

If buying is a reasonable choice, can anyone give me some pointers as to where to look; somewhere I won't get ripped off. Only looking to spend about $10K MAXimum. 4WD is prob important as I want to go out into the rest of BC, Rockies etc.

Cheers!

Mr S
If you live and work downtown - then you'll probably be better off just renting a car as and when you need/want to. This will depend on how much driving you are going to do.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 1:40 am
Forum Regular

Ikatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant futureIkatita has a brilliant future

I agree with the previous poster: Unless you need a car on more than five days a week, renting/zipping/co-op car usually works out cheaper.

4WD is _not_ necessary for the rest of BC, even a lot of the Forest Service Roads are ok with 2WD.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:45 am
BE Enthusiast

Yelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really niceYelkcub is just really nice

Hi all,

Cheers!

Mr S
Agree with the others but if you live away from downtown or not need skytrain a car might be a necessity - try Craigslist but get the car checked out by someone who knows what they are looking at. There are a few organizations that offer this services.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:00 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Or join the car coop or zip car!
Old Jun 26th 2010, 5:59 am
Forum Regular

The Esses will become famous soon enoughThe Esses will become famous soon enough

Thanks folks.
We are in downtown, so maybe buying a car isn't worthwhile.

Mr S
Old Jun 26th 2010, 6:18 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks.
We are in downtown, so maybe buying a car isn't worthwhile.

Mr S
I'd go with the grain and buy one. Renting is great and no doubt works for many people but i reckon it's much simpler and more beneficial owning one, especially during your transitional period.

Just to be able to pop out last minute or go on a road trip around the islands, into the UK, or around BC, for example, would be worth it for me. Plus if you have family, you may want peace of mind security and accessibility if your kids need driving to school/events/clubs/friends etc.

I am very lazy though.

You'll easily be able to live without 4WD.

Old Jun 26th 2010, 2:39 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I'd go with the grain and buy one. Renting is great and no doubt works for many people but i reckon it's much simpler and more beneficial owning one, especially during your transitional period.

Just to be able to pop out last minute or go on a road trip around the islands, into the UK, or around BC, for example, would be worth it for me. Plus if you have family, you may want peace of mind security and accessibility if your kids need driving to school/events/clubs/friends etc.

I am very lazy though.

You'll easily be able to live without 4WD.

Don't you mean against?

I know what you mean though. I own a car and I live downtown not more than four blocks from the office which I guess makes me a bit of an hypocrite

This is kind of where I was coming from:

Cost of car $10,000
"HST" $1,200
Insurance $2,000
Parking $800
Deprecation at 15% for the year $1,500

Total cost : $5,500

Would the OP spend more than that on car rental for the year? I guess the difference is how much of a price you are willing to spend on the convenience of ownership.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't you mean against?

I know what you mean though. I own a car and I live downtown not more than four blocks from the office which I guess makes me a bit of an hypocrite

Cost of car $10,000
"HST" $1,200
Insurance $2,000
Parking $800

Would the OP spend more than that on car rental for the year? I guess the difference is how much of a price you are willing to spend on the convenience of ownership.
Thanks....it's helpful to get an idea of the costs involved.
Would it be fairly easy to sell later on?

I just don't want to get ripped off if I did decide to buy.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:33 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I just don't want to get ripped off if I did decide to buy.
This is a good used car price guide:

http://www.vmrintl.com/makes.htm

Get the vehicle inspected before you buy. BCAA will do this for around $160 + tax for non-members. If the seller will not allow an inspection this tells you all you need to know so walk away.

http://www.bcaa.com/wps/portal/BCAA/...s.xsl/1761.htm

Get a vehicle history report from ICBC:

http://www.icbc.com/registration-lic...ehicle-history

Also verify that the vehicle has been owned and operated in BC since new.

This is about as much due diligence as you can do.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Great. Thanks for the help everyone. I'll look into this.
Old Jun 26th 2010, 3:52 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Try these - there are loads downtown and v simple to use. .www,zipcar.ca
www.cooperativeauto.net
Old Jun 26th 2010, 4:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alan2005
Don't you mean against?

Cost of car $10,000
"HST" $1,200
Insurance $2,000
Parking $800

Oh yeah, i meant against. It's the high temperatures in the UK that are giving me a brain fart.

Old Jun 27th 2010, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

FStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really niceFStone is just really nice

Hi all,

Cheers!

Mr S
Welcome!
I am quite curious as to how you know you don't need to do the driving test? I thought all non-Canadians had to do one? If there is a loophole my hubby would great appreciate it!
Old Jun 27th 2010, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

Exilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really niceExilelass is just really nice

Originally Posted by FStone
Welcome!
I am quite curious as to how you know you don't need to do the driving test? I thought all non-Canadians had to do one? If there is a loophole my hubby would great appreciate it!
You can drive here for 6 months, on your UK license, without taking a test.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.