Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

car licence (ontario)

car licence (ontario)

Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute
Default car licence (ontario)

Hello,

We'll be moving to Ontario in the next few weeks now. My UK licence will be 2 years in December, I'd rather wait for that 2 years before exchanging so I get the full license in Ontario and don't have to do any tests. I've read that licenses should be exchanged within 60 days. Is that IF you wish to continue driving in Ontario? If that is the case, I'll just not drive until December hits then exchange it and not have to do anything. I'll likely return to the UK for a few days before December also, so would want my UK licence for that anyway.

Anyone able to clarify on this?

Edit: Can this please be moved to the general section, put it in the wrong place.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Jun 18th 2019 at 7:12 pm.
Old Jun 18th 2019, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car licence (ontario)

Originally Posted by jimmynoshoes
Hello,

We'll be moving to Ontario in the next few weeks now. My UK licence will be 2 years in December, I'd rather wait for that 2 years before exchanging so I get the full license in Ontario and don't have to do any tests. I've read that licenses should be exchanged within 60 days. Is that IF you wish to continue driving in Ontario? If that is the case, I'll just not drive until December hits then exchange it and not have to do anything. I'll likely return to the UK for a few days before December also, so would want my UK licence for that anyway.

Edit: Can this please be moved to the general section, put it in the wrong place.
Hmmmmm….. That is a good question! My GUESS (and only my guess) is that your plan should be OK.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 1:36 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Hello,

I would suggest reading the official line rather than hoping that you can slide under the table to a full license. You will have to show proof of driving experience in the UK (i.e. such things as drivers extract / potentially insurance proof) if you are borderline on the experience required to not have to go through graduated licensing... you would get CREDIT for the months you have held your license regardless, so would likely only have to do a few months of graduated licensing (hint - if you take a course your insurance will be lower).

If you don't exchange within 60 days they are likely to ask you why you haven't. You are treading on shaky ground... and to be honest if you are not an experienced driver (i.e. not used to driving on motorways / 8 lane highways etc.,) then a few months on graduated licensing probably wouldn't hurt Adding in to say, if you are moving over in July then you will be 5 months short of experience, it's not like it's just a couple of weeks.. and that's presuming you have been continuously driving since December 17 when you presumably passed your test in the UK. They have been known to ask for the record of your insurance to show proof you have been driving, not just holding the license since you passed.. (as well as the drivers extract which is required) - so be prepared!

https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc..._exchange.html

for credit: https://drivetest.ca/licences/licenc...e-credits.html

for insurance reduction (courses) https://www.yd.com/blog/lower-auto-i...ver-education/

Last edited by Siouxie; Jun 19th 2019 at 10:52 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2019, 10:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute

You may also have a bit of a job buying a car if you only have a UK licence - not sure how much (or even if) this is a problem in Ontario. I also suspect you will have the devils own job finding car insurance with a UK licence. Of course not a problem if all you intend to do is RENT a car.

Honestly, your 'workaround' may well cause more problems than it solves.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 2:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Twitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond reputeTwitcher1958 has a reputation beyond repute

Added to all that has been said above, it’s generally accepted that the driving test in Ontario is far less challenging than the UK one. The downside however is that it’s a graduated system, with two driving tests a minimum of 8 months(I think, or is it 12?) between them - I don’t know if your experience and achievement to date will at least get you out of doing the first one and the need to drive with an experienced driver until you pass the second.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 6:48 pm
Forum Regular

jimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond reputejimmynoshoes has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hurlabrick
You may also have a bit of a job buying a car if you only have a UK licence - not sure how much (or even if) this is a problem in Ontario. I also suspect you will have the devils own job finding car insurance with a UK licence. Of course not a problem if all you intend to do is RENT a car.

Honestly, your 'workaround' may well cause more problems than it solves.
I don't intend to drive there until next year. Might drive a rental occasionally although that is doubtful. I'll be relying on public transport until such time that we can actually afford 2 cars and insurance to go with it. Hence my query of whether I actually have to change my license over or just let it run to December then do it when I might actually intend to drive something. Again, reiterating the point I'll probably be popping back to UK a few months after we land for a week to tie up loose ends, and i'll be driving a car here that i'm already insured on.

Last edited by jimmynoshoes; Jun 20th 2019 at 6:52 pm.
Old Jun 20th 2019, 8:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

I'll probably be popping back to UK a few months after we land for a week to tie up loose ends, and i'll be driving a car here that i'm already insured on.
I believe that if you do this, you will technically not be insured and therefore driving illegally. Your insurance company will very likely refuse liability as you did not change your address with the DVLA when required to do so. You MUST update your address on your UK driving licence when you move. Of course it cannot be updated to a Canadian address as they will tell you, you need to convert it to a Canadian licence. If you have any form of accident in the UK or are stopped for any reason, they will check the address on your licence, that is where a world of hurt will start. See what I mean about your 'workaround' causing problems?

http://www.gov.uk/change-address-driving-licence

Old Jun 21st 2019, 12:17 am
BE Forum Addict

Oh and OK, it is the Daily Express, but my point regarding invalidating UK car insurance if you don't change address:

http://www.express.co.uk/life-style/...-job-update-UK
Old Jun 21st 2019, 1:29 pm
Forum Regular

Address is currently registered at family, which is also where i'd be living when returning for periods of time, so address doesn't technically need updating at this point, but I get the point you are making.

At the end of the day, I won't be driving in Toronto until next year unless we suddenly get some more money lol, so I'll probably just do what I planned to do. I'll either get lucky and get the 2 years credit, or they'll say no and I'll have a restricted license and a silly test to do.
Old Jun 21st 2019, 3:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Address is currently registered at family, which is also where i'd be living when returning for periods of time, so address doesn't technically need updating at this point, but I get the point you are making.

At the end of the day, I won't be driving in Toronto until next year unless we suddenly get some more money lol, so I'll probably just do what I planned to do. I'll either get lucky and get the 2 years credit, or they'll say no and I'll have a restricted license and a silly test to do.
They may not allow you to get an exchange of license without proof of your continuing to drive for the full 2 years - it's not just holding a license, it's also driving experience.. will you be able to show you have 2 years driving experience by December? The longer you delay exchanging your license after taking up residence in Ontario, the more chance there is of them refusing. Have you got experience in driving an automatic? It's a SIMPLE test, not a silly test.. you would get credit for the time you have held the license and you would likely only have to do the final one, not the whole graduated bit with being supervised with driving for a year.. regardless it's probably a good idea to start reading the drivers handbook online https://www.ontario.ca/document/offi...ivers-handbook

As to the UK side of it, you will not be residing in the UK, so your license won't be valid once you leave and take up residence in Canada.. don't forget DVLC aren't the only government agency that keep tabs on you - you'll need to submit forms to the Inland Revenue if you are leaving the UK too -
Old Jul 10th 2019, 4:05 am
Forum Regular

GrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to allGrandmaLynn is a name known to all

Hello,

Hi, I am doing the same thing as you next month so I will let you know what happens

Last edited by GrandmaLynn; Jul 10th 2019 at 4:08 am.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 12:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Engineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond reputeEngineer_abroad has a reputation beyond repute

Address is currently registered at family, which is also where i'd be living when returning for periods of time, so address doesn't technically need updating at this point
It won’t matter that you are staying there. At that point you will have moved to Canada and no longer be a resident of the uk do not entitled to a uk driving license. I strongly encourage you to not chance these things when it comes to insurance and especially where the impacts could be so devastating.

For instance say you are pulled over or worse have an accident and cop finds out your license and insurance are invalid, you get charged with a crime, on arriving back in Canada (when you finally get it all sorted) you could now be criminally inadmissible to Canada.
Old Jul 10th 2019, 2:59 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by GrandmaLynn
Hi, I am doing the same thing as you next month so I will let you know what happens
Are you moving from Alberta to Ontario (I can't remember if you moved to Edmonton or not in the end).. ? Inter Provincial transfer/exchange of license is slightly different; if you have been in Ontario since 2014 then you may be out of luck - there is a requirement to exchange within 60 days... it will be interesting to see what they say.
Proof of driving experience

You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence.

If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French.

You do not need a letter if you are exchanging a novice licence from another province.
This might help
https://www.ontario.ca/page/exchange...rivers-licence

I don't understand the reluctance of the OP to do this the right way..
Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)

You need to take:

an eye test, when you apply
one road test (the G2 road test)

You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 10th 2019 at 3:08 pm.
Old Jul 15th 2019, 11:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

J-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond reputeJ-A-UK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Siouxie
Are you moving from Alberta to Ontario (I can't remember if you moved to Edmonton or not in the end).. ? Inter Provincial transfer/exchange of license is slightly different; if you have been in Ontario since 2014 then you may be out of luck - there is a requirement to exchange within 60 days... it will be interesting to see what they say.
Proof of driving experience

You can self-declare one year of driving experience, by showing a valid, original foreign driver’s licence.

If you want to earn credit for more than one year of driving experience, you will also need an official letter from the foreign government or agency that issued the driver’s licence, confirming that the licence is authentic. This letter needs to be written in English or French.

You do not need a letter if you are exchanging a novice licence from another province.
This might help

I don't understand the reluctance of the OP to do this the right way..
Less than 2 years driving experience (with exchange)

You need to take:

an eye test, when you apply
one road test (the G2 road test)

You will not be able to do the G2 road test right away. You need to wait until you gain two, full years of driving experience. For example, if you had a licence for 21 months in your home province, state or country, you can do the G2 road test after 3 months in Ontario. After you pass the G2 road test, you get a full licence.

While you wait, you can drive with your G1 licence, under certain conditions.
that lot doesn’t sound quite right !

im in Ontario
G1 is a provisional license - only drive accompanied and no 400 highways plus other stuff

G2 allows you to drive alone - if you have taken drivers ed you can take your G test after 8 months of not its 12 months

with the OP coming over in July he would need to exchange for an Ontario license within 90 days but I’ve not heard of any issues when exchanging - they don’t ask !

the issue will be an issue if the OP gets a moving violation before 90 days and again 90 days later

but the biggest issue - you cannot register a vehicle without an Ontario license nor can you get insurance for that vehicle.

A rental and returning to the UK might be a legal solution

i did not need any uk paperwork to exchange my licenses other than the license itself
Old Jul 16th 2019, 6:23 am
Banned

Originally Posted by J-A-UK

that lot doesn’t sound quite right !

im in Ontario
G1 is a provisional license - only drive accompanied and no 400 highways plus other stuff

G2 allows you to drive alone - if you have taken drivers ed you can take your G test after 8 months of not its 12 months

with the OP coming over in July he would need to exchange for an Ontario license within 90 days but I’ve not heard of any issues when exchanging - they don’t ask !

the issue will be an issue if the OP gets a moving violation before 90 days and again 90 days later

but the biggest issue - you cannot register a vehicle without an Ontario license nor can you get insurance for that vehicle.

A rental and returning to the UK might be a legal solution

i did not need any uk paperwork to exchange my licenses other than the license itself
You get credit for 'time served' if you have held a licence but not for the full 2 years.. so for many they would not have to undergo the full graduated licensing rigmarole, missing out the first stage and going onto being able to drive unaccompanied (whilst still having sosme restrictions.. such as not being able to drive after midnight / on 400 series highways).. for however many months they would have left between the amount of 'credit' the received for prior experience and the full 2 years of experience required to exchange

That came from the OFFICIAL Website
Attached Thumbnails car licence (ontario)-g-license.jpg  

Last edited by Siouxie; Jul 16th 2019 at 6:28 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.