Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance Quotes!!!!!!

Car Insurance Quotes!!!!!!

Old Feb 13th 2004, 10:57 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by stepnek
Just as an aside I spoke to my brother-in-law today abour car insurance. He's Canadian and lives in Ontario. He was telling me that some Insurance Company's won't quote over the phone anymore. I thought he was joking but he wasn't. One company sent him a form and said they would give him a quote within 30 days. Isn't that strange?

Has anyone else living in Canada come across that?

we found it very hard to get a company to cover us full stop!! when we did eventually find someone it was $1500 3rd party...not even covered for fire and theft!!!

we're also getting the problem for house insurance. husband was in the uk for 3 years so the last time he had insurance was over 5 years ago. because of this nobody wanted to give us cover as they had no recent proof of cover/claims. how do first time buyers cope when they have never been insured before??

i love canada but only have the gripe of insurance with it!!!!!
Old Feb 13th 2004, 11:07 am
s1lv3rsh4dow

Originally posted by ukjo

i love canada but only have the gripe of insurance with it!!!!!
With all good things, comes bad ones

Old Feb 14th 2004, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

ray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond reputeray1968 has a reputation beyond repute

I did some research thru a broker friend of mine , he said Wawanesa and Axa and I think ING will give Brit drivers 3 star rating provided they get a driver training cert in Ontario. Might be worth checking out !!

If you need further help PM me or email me

Ray
Old Feb 14th 2004, 2:23 am
Just Joined

D Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point

Actually, you have a point about where you live effecting the quote. We all know that it has a huge bearing on premiums, and as I am only living in Toronto for a couple of months - we are moving to Bellville, or there abouts - I thought I would run a quote through the RBC website to see how much a zipcode change would make to the cost of the premium. It dropped from $8500 to $2060 !!!!!! I am still in the process of getting a policy for around $4000, wont know until monday. I will just have to start paying the higher rate and then as soon as we move, have the monthly installments brought into line with the new - out of town - zipcode.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 2:25 am
Just Joined

D Campbell is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that valuable info Ray, my wife and I will be booked in asap.
Cheers Mate.
Old Feb 14th 2004, 6:20 am
Just Joined

StetSon uk is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car Insurance.

Originally posted by D Campbell
Thanks guys for getting back to me, I have just got off the phone to RBC as it happens. They were able to quote me, but interestingly will not issue cover until they have a faxed copy of my transferred "G" class licence in their office. So that in effect scuppers any hope of getting out and looking at houses until after the beginning of march. They quoted me $8034.61 !!!!!! thats more than I paid for the car, LOL. Ha, i don't know why i'm laughing. I will take a look at the driving classes also. I was here in '96 and took my test then, I still have a "G2" licence but it's expired. Thanks again, I'll keep you posted.

Bloody hell $8000 for car insurance..are they on drugs or what
Old Feb 14th 2004, 1:01 pm
Just Joined

atcogl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally posted by Tinpusher
My insurance for my 2000 Explorer is $299/month. That came down from over $400 when I moved from Brampton out into the wilds of Caledon
Come June when my first year is up I hope it will be a bit more reasonable. I don't expect the insurance companies to change their policy on out of country experience any time soon though, even with the change in licencing rules coming next month.
We bought a 2002 Golf TDI for my wife recently and thats more to insure than the Explorer!!
Good luck
Tinpusher, by any chance are you an ex-NATS Air Traffic Controller now at YYZ?

If so, I've just arrived and ould appreciate asking a few questions.

Thanks
Old Feb 15th 2004, 3:09 am
Forum Regular

Tinpusher is an unknown quantity at this point

Sure am. Drop me an email.