Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance question

Car insurance question

Old May 4th 2004, 11:30 am
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road
Default Car insurance question

yes i know its a thread thats been started loads of times but this time its my turn to be searching for a good quote.

we are currently with a broker in ns and are paying $1600 a year for just the bare bones 3rd party with royal sun and alliance. my husband, much to my annoyance, has a drink drive conviction from 1997/1998 time which is why (and rightly so!!) he has been paying over the top for the past year though it did only add $100 onto the final figure. we have got a 1996 mazda 4wd mpv. is there anyone out there who got a really good quote and are willing to share?

the cheapest ive found so far is with a company through insurancehotline.com for $829 but im waiting to hear a final figure from them and have a feeling its going to be a lot more.

also ive had my licence for 13 years but my canadian for only 2 months. now when you apply and they ask how long youve had your licence im confused as to which one they mean. my friend said her company asked for both but when im filling out the online quotes im unsure as to which one to put down. any help?

thanks
Old May 4th 2004, 2:07 pm
mickj

Since Nova Scotia doesn't have an exchange agreement with the UK, i doubt your experience from the UK will count in that province. Here in Ontario, and New Brunswick, Quebec, Saskatchewan where there is an agreement, when asked how long you've had your licence, you basically tell them the date you got it in blighty.

A check on the Ministry of transport's computer will confirm that, i.e your experience from the UK automatically gets transfered onto the computers here. Kind of like how it works on continental Europe ( EU States ).
Attached Thumbnails Car insurance question-26.jpg  

Last edited by mickj; May 5th 2004 at 2:38 pm.

Old May 4th 2004, 2:25 pm
Forum Regular

pjb001 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Car insurance question

Originally posted by ukjo

also ive had my licence for 13 years but my canadian for only 2 months. now when you apply and they ask how long youve had your licence im confused as to which one they mean. my friend said her company asked for both but when im filling out the online quotes im unsure as to which one to put down. any help?

thanks
I exchanged my UK licence for an Ontario class G under the newly announced exchange programme.

When I renewed recently I obtained several excellent quotes from Kanetix based on having held a full licence since the date of issue of my UK one (after all, it's an exchange programme right?)

I rang two of the insurance companies to try and proceed with these quotations - and both refused as the system used to verify licencing history/convictions/etc. shows the date of issue of the Canadian licence and not the date of issue of the UK licence.

Canadian insurers also really only consider North American driving history - State Farm were the only company I found willing to consider UK history, although I am still paying 2.5x what I was in London before I came over here.

Therefore even with the licence exchange programme, my experience demonstrates that drivers with foreign driving experience are still treated as brand new drivers when they come to Ontario.

Peter
Old May 4th 2004, 2:50 pm
mickj

Am with state farm too, and we pay $1,700 for a Van and a new Sube, and both are fully comp. I won't dream of going to a small company to get a quote, a friend of mine that just came over, didn't have problem with them recognizing the exchange thing either.

http://www.insurancehotline.com/

Last edited by mickj; May 4th 2004 at 3:45 pm.

Old May 4th 2004, 3:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

ukjo is on a distinguished road

Originally posted by mickj
Am with state farm too, and we pay $1,700 for a Van and a new Sube, and both are fully comp. I won't dream of going to a small company to get a quote, a friend of mine that just came over, didn't have problem with them reconising the exchange thing either.

http://www.insurancehotline.com/
im glad you mention that site as thats the cheapest quote ive got so far and also putting in that ive had my licence since march. i guess it goes in our favour that the insurance is in my candian husbands name and not mine. i remember he had loads of problems last year as he had been living in the uk for 3 years and didnt have any insurance here of any kind so he had to start from scratch and was classed as a uk driver coming to canada.

youre right there are a lot of companies that dont touch NS but why i dont know. my friend managed to bring her no claims form the uk and has used it but then their primary policy holder is british so i dont know if having mine will make any difference. ive tried contacting her company but its always the same story, they dont get around to returning my calls. what is it about insurance in this country?????
Old May 5th 2004, 2:30 pm
mickj

This one came up in a conversation yesterday " Economical Group", don't know if you have it over there, but they are meant to be really good, but couldn't tell you how good.
Attached Thumbnails Car insurance question-24.jpg