Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance - please help!

Car insurance - please help!

Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:12 am
TLB
Forum Regular

TLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the rough
Default Car insurance - please help!

Hi all,

We've just landed in Canada and have done most of the legal stuff.. SIN, OHIP, opening a bank account...etc..etc.. and by chance we bought a new van (we only went looking ~ as you do). The problem is we need recommendations for insurance companies as we don't have much of a clue. We have been advised by the dealership that some of the larger insurers will take into account our insurance history and will contact them to verify our no claims bonus. We do have a statement to show them of this, in the vain hope it may make the insurance cheaper

I hope someone can help as we can't drive the van away until we show we are insured to drive!

Thanks,
Tracey
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

apfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant future
Default Re: Car insurance - please help!

Originally Posted by TLB
Hi all,

We've just landed in Canada and have done most of the legal stuff.. SIN, OHIP, opening a bank account...etc..etc.. and by chance we bought a new van (we only went looking ~ as you do). The problem is we need recommendations for insurance companies as we don't have much of a clue. We have been advised by the dealership that some of the larger insurers will take into account our insurance history and will contact them to verify our no claims bonus. We do have a statement to show them of this, in the vain hope it may make the insurance cheaper

I hope someone can help as we can't drive the van away until we show we are insured to drive!

Thanks,
Tracey
Hello Tracy, we landed in Calgary on the 15th and we too have been busy little bees. We found a broker on this sight called Lakeview Insurance and they provided us with car insurance for our Dodge caravan and Chrysler Sebring through a Company called Economical Mutual Insurance. This was the only company to take our no claims history into consideration and it saved us alot of money. If you want to contact Lakeview the person you need to speak to is Terri ynn on 403 287 2521. Re house insurance, unfortunately we have found that to be quite expensive because we as most Brits claim on their insurance even for freezer damage. Good luck.
Old Sep 11th 2006, 2:29 am
TLB
Forum Regular

TLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the roughTLB is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by apfairhurst
Hello Tracy, we landed in Calgary on the 15th and we too have been busy little bees. We found a broker on this sight called Lakeview Insurance and they provided us with car insurance for our Dodge caravan and Chrysler Sebring through a Company called Economical Mutual Insurance. This was the only company to take our no claims history into consideration and it saved us alot of money. If you want to contact Lakeview the person you need to speak to is Terri ynn on 403 287 2521. Re house insurance, unfortunately we have found that to be quite expensive because we as most Brits claim on their insurance even for freezer damage. Good luck.
Thank you for the information, did she look into your insurance history? If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to insure your Dodge as that is the same vehicle we have bought!!
Tracey
Old Sep 11th 2006, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

apfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant futureapfairhurst has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by TLB
Thank you for the information, did she look into your insurance history? If you don't mind me asking how much did it cost to insure your Dodge as that is the same vehicle we have bought!!
Tracey
We had to provide her with written confirmation from our previous insurers of our claims history. My Wife had 9 years no claims history and because I had a Company car for the last 10 years which people kept hitting with shopping trolleys the claims were small so did not affect the price. We are paying $1,900 for the two cars to cover us both with full cover. Other Companies had quoted up to $4,000.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 12:12 am
TLB
Forum Regular

We had to provide her with written confirmation from our previous insurers of our claims history. My Wife had 9 years no claims history and because I had a Company car for the last 10 years which people kept hitting with shopping trolleys the claims were small so did not affect the price. We are paying $1,900 for the two cars to cover us both with full cover. Other Companies had quoted up to $4,000.
Thank you, we've got ourselves a full policy, with State Farm, they didn't really take into account our history , although they did photocopy our history. We paid $1100 with a $200 discount as we bought a cheap home insuraance policy. We were pleased with the car insurance as it included breakdown cover. We were chuffed that the insurance covered the car rather than the person!! So all in all we were satified with the result!
Tracey
Old Sep 12th 2006, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TLB
Thank you, we've got ourselves a full policy, with State Farm, they didn't really take into account our history , although they did photocopy our history. We paid $1100 with a $200 discount as we bought a cheap home insuraance policy. We were pleased with the car insurance as it included breakdown cover. We were chuffed that the insurance covered the car rather than the person!! So all in all we were satified with the result!
Tracey
Hello Tracey

Can you give me the contact details for State Farm because we are still shopping around for our cover. We get the keys to our house on the 18th Sept and the quotes have all been around $900 pa because we made a claim in the U.K 2 and a half years ago. P.S, where did you move to...Calgary, Vancouver etc?

Alex.
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:10 am
TLB
Forum Regular

Hello Tracey

Can you give me the contact details for State Farm because we are still shopping around for our cover. We get the keys to our house on the 18th Sept and the quotes have all been around $900 pa because we made a claim in the U.K 2 and a half years ago. P.S, where did you move to...Calgary, Vancouver etc?

Alex.
Hi Alex,

We are in Ontario and I understand the State Farm are a national company, but we went into the local office and did it there and then. The phone number for London is 519 473 1147 but have a look in the yellow pages (or perhaps online) to see if there is an office closer to you. We weren't asked about our previous home insurance history details, but the price we paid was $248 and that was contents only (I don't know if your quote was for buildings cover, too).

Good luck to you,
Tracey
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:14 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Hello Tracey

Alex.
You tried Broker Link?
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by TLB
Hi Alex,

We are in Ontario and I understand the State Farm are a national company, but we went into the local office and did it there and then. The phone number for London is 519 473 1147 but have a look in the yellow pages (or perhaps online) to see if there is an office closer to you. We weren't asked about our previous home insurance history details, but the price we paid was $248 and that was contents only (I don't know if your quote was for buildings cover, too).

Good luck to you,
Tracey
Thanks Tracey. Yes we are in need of buildings and contents however I will try State Farm tomorrow.

Regards
Old Sep 12th 2006, 2:35 am
TLB
Forum Regular

Thanks Tracey. Yes we are in need of buildings and contents however I will try State Farm tomorrow.

Regards
Alex,

I assume you have bought if you need buildings as well as contents, how come you bought so soon after landing? I'm not being nosey just curious.

Tracey