British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Car insurance Ontario (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/car-insurance-ontario-902858/)

CRAY Sep 3rd 2017 10:42 pm

Car insurance Ontario

I'v been browsing some old threads regarding car insurance. It seems finding a good deal is a pretty popular subject considering the price difference compared with back home.

Anybody have any more recent recommendations for companies over here for a good deal? Particular any Canadian companies that will recognise UK no claims, or at least a clean drivers record.

I use Aviva back in the UK and when I called the Canadian side of things to ask for a quote they hit me with $500 per month! I knew I was gong to have to pay considerably more over here but didn't expect it to be half of my pay check! Especially considering I'm almost 30 and have never had a claim or even minor offence in over 12 years of driving.

As always, any input is appreciated guys, Kind regards
Cray

plasticcanuck Sep 3rd 2017 10:55 pm

Re: Car insurance Ontario

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 12330608)
I'v been browsing some old threads regarding car insurance. It seems finding a good deal is a pretty popular subject considering the price difference compared with back home.

Anybody have any more recent recommendations for companies over here for a good deal? Particular any Canadian companies that will recognise UK no claims, or at least a clean drivers record.

I use Aviva back in the UK and when I called the Canadian side of things to ask for a quote they hit me with $500 per month! I knew I was gong to have to pay considerably more over here but didn't expect it to be half of my pay check! Especially considering I'm almost 30 and have never had a claim or even minor offence in over 12 years of driving.

As always, any input is appreciated guys, Kind regards
Cray

I hope your pay cheque is more than $1,000 p/m or you're not going to make it here.

CRAY Sep 4th 2017 2:10 am

I was just using the "half my paycheck" expression to convey how discruntled I was at the $500 PM insurance quote.

My pay cheque is actually zero at the moment as I only arrived 2 weeks ago ;)

Siouxie Sep 4th 2017 4:08 am

Johnsons or TD Molineux both accept UK experience.

There's a few options mentoned on these threads

http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...ntario-896923/
http://britishexpats.com/forum/canad...urance-855796/

Where in Ontario are you? I'm asking as there's a couple of others you could try but it's only relevant in a specific area.

:)

AtlanticMoose Sep 4th 2017 3:33 pm

I'd second Johnson insurance, I pay around 150 a month (Barrie area) for a Subaru Forester crossover. They recognised 5 years of driving experience with just a photocopy of my UK licence.

Also if you ever have to call them - they usually pick up straight away ! Refreshing when every other company I've dealt with you end up on hold for ages.

Statham2016 Sep 5th 2017 12:03 am

I recommend Johnsons also.

CRAY Sep 5th 2017 1:09 am

Thank you guys. I will definitely check out both Johnsons' and TD. I did a coupe of online quotes that were around the $200 mark, so anything less than that is a bonus.

I live about an hour north or Barrie.

DandNHill Sep 5th 2017 2:59 am

We're with Johnsons too. Think we pay approx $400 for two cars and tenancy insurance...

bgpz Sep 5th 2017 3:13 am

TD Molineux... do you mean TD Meloche Monnex? We use them, no issues, we get a corporate discount as well. As I recall, they took our UK no-claims record (and my wife's previous Canadian claims history) in to consideration, and I'm sure they came up with the best premium for us compared to the other quotes we picked up.

Not heard of Johnsons, but they definitely sound worth checking out

Siouxie Sep 5th 2017 7:03 am

Originally Posted by bgpz (Post 12331329)
TD Molineux... do you mean TD Meloche Monnex? We use them, no issues, we get a corporate discount as well. As I recall, they took our UK no-claims record (and my wife's previous Canadian claims history) in to consideration, and I'm sure they came up with the best premium for us compared to the other quotes we picked up.

Not heard of Johnsons, but they definitely sound worth checking out

Apologies, yes I did mean TD Meloche Monnex - I always get that wrong! My son's friend who came over from the UK obtained insurance with them, they were the lowest and took his UK driving experience into consideration.

:)

SchnookoLoly Sep 5th 2017 12:53 pm

We are with TD Meloche Monnex as well, they gave us the best rate for two cars plus homeowners insurance. Have had to make one claim through them when I was rear-ended about 3 years ago while pregnant, very smooth experience.

CRAY Sep 6th 2017 12:08 am

1st class advice as always from the folks here. My thanks.

A related thought comes to mind. I'm about to get my Ontario licence within the next couple of days. I'm under the impression that they will want to keep both my card and counterpart UK licence. Will I not have to 'show' the insurers said counterpart to demonstrate the driving experience in the coming weeks?

Aviator Sep 6th 2017 12:41 am

Originally Posted by CRAY (Post 12332048)
1st class advice as always from the folks here. My thanks.

A related thought comes to mind. I'm about to get my Ontario licence within the next couple of days. I'm under the impression that they will want to keep both my card and counterpart UK licence. Will I not have to 'show' the insurers said counterpart to demonstrate the driving experience in the coming weeks?

Insurers are interested in driving history and claims history. They require documentation from previous insurers in the UK to get the discount.

quiltman Sep 6th 2017 1:06 am

Originally Posted by Aviator (Post 12332071)
Insurers are interested in driving history and claims history. They require documentation from previous insurers in the UK to get the discount.

didn't I read somewhere on BE that the letter from the UK insurers had to be in a specific format, not just confirming no claims discount?

Aviator Sep 6th 2017 7:36 pm

Originally Posted by quiltman (Post 12332085)
didn't I read somewhere on BE that the letter from the UK insurers had to be in a specific format, not just confirming no claims discount?

'Insurers are interested in driving history and claims history'

It has to state claims history. Any break in coverage is usually as far back as they will go. In BC ICBC now require a letter in a specific format.