Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car Insurance for Ontario.......

Car Insurance for Ontario.......

Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:40 pm
Forum Regular

yorkiebar99 is on a distinguished road
Default Car Insurance for Ontario.......

Morning!

I have searched through past posts but just thought we could do with some more feedback regarding car insurance in Ontario. We are moving from Quebec to Ontario and have just had 2 quotes of 2000$ for fully comp. Is this about average?
yikes. at the moment we are paying 700$.bit of a difference. its all worth it though just to get out of this province...they don;'t make anything simple.
off now to work out the bloody taxes.....

thanks
Old Apr 28th 2005, 3:51 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance for Ontario.......

Originally Posted by yorkiebar99
Morning!

I have searched through past posts but just thought we could do with some more feedback regarding car insurance in Ontario. We are moving from Quebec to Ontario and have just had 2 quotes of 2000$ for fully comp. Is this about average?
yikes. at the moment we are paying 700$.bit of a difference. its all worth it though just to get out of this province...they don;'t make anything simple.

thanks
Average for what? How many vehicles, how long in canada, where in Ontario etc?

FWIW I pay a little under $1600 fully comp with $2M liability for a Subaru Legacy and Mazda Protege, but thats away from the GTA and with many years here now.

2k may be in the ballpark for a newer vehicle in the GTA with a short canadian driving record. I think you may be able to get comparative online quotes through www.kanetix.ca Sometimes it will accept non canadian driving history, sometimes not. might be worth a go?

Last edited by iaink; Apr 28th 2005 at 3:54 pm.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:34 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning!

thanks
Where are you going in Ontario? A chum of mine is an auto insurance broker in the GTA.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink

FWIW I pay a little under $1600 fully comp with $2M liability for a Subaru Legacy and Mazda Protege, but thats away from the GTA and with many years here now.

2k may be in the ballpark for a newer vehicle in the GTA with a short canadian driving record. I think you may be able to get comparative online quotes through www.kanetix.ca Sometimes it will accept non canadian driving history, sometimes not. might be worth a go?
Thanks Iain.
checked it out on that link and it is about right. we have only been here 2yrs so maybe that is why. We drive a Chevy Cavalier 1999. Just found out though that we can get a corporate rate through my work so that won't be so bad.
Old Apr 28th 2005, 4:58 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Where are you going in Ontario? A chum of mine is an auto insurance broker in the GTA.
Thanks for the offer Souvenir!
We are off to Kingston, Ontario!
Old Apr 30th 2005, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

daisydoo is an unknown quantity at this point

Morning!

thanks
My husband insured a chevvy silverado for $1400 but it was insured as a works vehicle. They did take into account his previous experience. We went to a broker but the company was Pilot insurance and I've seen there name pop up a few times on here.
Old May 1st 2005, 1:42 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by daisydoo
My husband insured a chevvy silverado for $1400 but it was insured as a works vehicle. They did take into account his previous experience. We went to a broker but the company was Pilot insurance and I've seen there name pop up a few times on here.
Ours is Pilot (through a broker) I have read that sometimes they are not the best for paying up...but I havent had to claim, and am happy to take that chance for the lower premiums.
Old May 1st 2005, 2:41 am

Covenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond reputeCovenant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Hmm, Interesting link Iain, I made up some details, but in general gave the correct information including the fact that I was a UK passport holder, and I got quoted 2944 for both me and my wife to drive a chrysler Voyager, assuming we move to Oakville.

That's not too bad all things considering.
Old May 1st 2005, 5:12 am
Deep in the red C.

Iginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond reputeIginla has a reputation beyond repute

What about TD Canada trust?

They were the cheapest I could find in Alberta and the only ones that would give us credit for our UK insurance.

http://www.tdcanadatrust.com/tdinsurance/auto/index.jsp
Old May 4th 2006, 12:39 pm
Just Joined

nickb is on a distinguished road

We are looking at (finally) getting a car. I've had my 'G' license for a couple of years, the missus has had hers for a month.
We've been in Canada for 5 years, and both have been driving for 15+ years.
All our auto insurance history has been in the UK,

We're in downtown Toronto. I got an auto insurance quote for a 2002 Ford Focus, just as a guide for what we may have to pay.
Online, I got a quote of $3750 with TD.
I phone Meloche Monnex last night and they came back with $4900.

Arghhhhh!
Anyone have any tips on who esle we could try. Otherwise we're just gonna keep on renting!!