Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

car insurance and driving licence - Ontario

car insurance and driving licence - Ontario

Old Apr 16th 2005, 1:25 am
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough
Default car insurance and driving licence - Ontario

Right, has anyone got an experience they can share regarding getting car insurance? I am especially interested in companies that will accept no claims bonuses from insurnace companies from the UK (I have been to www.kanetix.com any other website to try?)

I guess that I will also have to take a new drive test to get an Ontario driving licence (60 day rule and all that) - again any experiences?

Thanks.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 6:40 am
kerri

Default Re: car insurance and driving licence - Ontario

If you are coming from one of the countries that are exempted from the driving test, and you've had your licence for more than 2yrs, not neccessarily driving, you can just walk into ministry of transport KIOSK, take your photo, pay the fee for the licence, and just swap your FOREIGN licence for an ONTARIO one.

Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

They do swap <2yrs ones too - I only had mine 9mths when I swapped in Feb. I joined the graduated thingy but it's no big deal - 0 blood alcohol and no more passengers allowed than working seatbelts, as if either would ocurr to me anyway!!!

I think in ON you have to do another test before you get to 2yrs experience but thankfully we're off to MB and they don't test again, you move to full license after 15mths without a test.

Sorry can't help with insurance Nivlad, it's provincial in Manitoba.
Old Apr 16th 2005, 9:54 am
kerri

That is true, if you have had ur licence 4 less than 2yrs, ontario will give u a G2 licence, but like biiiiink said, there are limitations to it. To get the the full G licence, you will have to take a HWY test.

Old Apr 16th 2005, 7:13 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

What is the difference between a G2 and G licence? I have had my british licence since 1985 (showing my age) so I should automatically get a G2 licence?
Old Apr 16th 2005, 8:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nivlad
What is the difference between a G2 and G licence? I have had my british licence since 1985 (showing my age) so I should automatically get a G2 licence?
You'll get the full one if it's more than 2yrs since you passed your test. It's really easy to swap, take the license, some other ID and CAD 75 (debit cards and credit card accepted) to your nearest place. Hand it over, take the eye test, get your pic snapped and that's it. They give you a temporary paper permit (valid for 3mths max) and your photo card gets mailed out to you.

I thought we'd have to struggle to swap them but the agents we had knew the drill and had obviously done it many hundreds of times.

Good luck with the insurance hunt, I think we're going to have it easy (and cheaper!) in Manitoba

Biiiiink
Old Apr 16th 2005, 11:26 pm
kerri

A FULL G licence is the main licence for those that have passed the written, neighbourhood, and hwy test, G2 refers to written and neighbourhood only.

Originally Posted by nivlad

Old Apr 17th 2005, 12:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by kerri
If you are coming from one of the countries that are exempted from the driving test, and you've had your licence for more than 2yrs, not neccessarily driving, you can just walk into ministry of transport KIOSK, take your photo, pay the fee for the licence, and just swap your FOREIGN licence for an ONTARIO one.
OK - does this apply to motorcycles too? I've had a (full) UK bike licence since 16 - much longer than two years ... and one of the first things I'm doing when I settle is getting a bike to use for four months of the year.
Old Apr 17th 2005, 1:36 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snave
OK - does this apply to motorcycles too? I've had a (full) UK bike licence since 16 - much longer than two years ... and one of the first things I'm doing when I settle is getting a bike to use for four months of the year.
Snave you will lose your entitlement to drive bike
I also have full bike licence and also HGV Class one, which I have had for the past 15 years. I will lose both of them which is a real bummer. I dont fancy sitting my Class one HGV again, or my bike licence

Thats the downfall if you have a lot of UK driving classes, you only get to drive a car in Ontario

Eddie