Reload this Page >

Car insurance / Driver's License Alberta

Car insurance / Driver's License Alberta

Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:48 am
Just Joined

UndercoverHippy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car insurance / Driver's License Alberta

Hello!

Please could someone give me a couple of pointers on the procedure and timeline for driving in Alberta?

We're only going for a year but want to drive for the whole time we're there. I've heard that we can drive for 3 months on our uk licenses but then we have to get Alberta ones. Do you have to take a test or anything or is it just a straight transfer?

For insurance I've heard that in BC you can only get insurance through ICBC, are there any restrictions in Alberta?

I've had to claim twice on my insurance in the past 10 years so would it perhaps be in my favour to start off as a brand new case without bringing my history to Canada? (I promise I'm not a terrible driver, one was ice and one was a scam artist who deliberately hit me and managed to get a new van on my insurance!)

Any help you could give would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance
Old Aug 13th 2013, 11:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance / Driver's License Alberta

A good rule of thumb when driving over here is drive on the RIGHT side.
All info can be found on this website
http://www.servicealberta.gov.ab.ca/...orvehicles.cfm
Old Aug 13th 2013, 1:22 pm
Forum Regular

shunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud ofshunter1977 has much to be proud of

If you have a UK license you take that to the local license shop we went to the one stop. They then take your UK license and give you a Canadian one. Think they issue you with a temporary one at the time and then you get the actual one in the post later cant remember how long that took. As for insurance we took our drivers history with us to the insurance broker and they did the rest. Pretty sure Sarah had a recent claim when we came over but that didn't make any difference. You will find it cheaper to have some driving history rather than starting fresh I would think.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 2:11 pm
Finding my Canadian Feet

AnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond reputeAnneMarieC has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest how did you get your drivers history? from your uk insurer?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

Stu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really niceStu_g2004 is just really nice

Originally Posted by AnneMarieC
Out of interest how did you get your drivers history? from your uk insurer?
contact the DVLA and ask for your driver history record, costs about 5 quid.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:37 pm
Just Joined

So they keep your uk license? Is there any way to get it back when you leave? Those things are expensive!

Thank you all for your replies
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:52 pm
Weegie in Calgary

cbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond reputecbrown89 has a reputation beyond repute

Yes they keep your licence but you get it back if you hand in your Albertan licence i.e. leave.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 5:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Yes they keep your licence but you get it back if you hand in your Albertan licence i.e. leave.
Who will?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:04 pm
Just Joined

Marvellous, thank you.

We're not going til October, should I hold off getting the driver history record til closer the time? I'm not insured on an vehicle at present so not driving but maybe they need to see that it's super recent?
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cbrown89
Another myth or urban legend
When you hand in your UK licence they are supposed to send it back to the UK.
Im betting if you went back to Alberta Motor Vehicles 12 months after handing in the UK licence the agent would look at you strangely if you were expecting to get your UK licence back.
Chances are all licences are placed into file 13 or the shredder.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:09 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by UndercoverHippy
Marvellous, thank you.

We're not going til October, should I hold off getting the driver history record til closer the time? I'm not insured on an vehicle at present so not driving but maybe they need to see that it's super recent?
Yes, get it closer to the time of your move, otherwise the underwriter may question the gap period. Good luck with your move.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by UndercoverHippy
Marvellous, thank you.

I think you will find that the insurance companies want a record of you being insured and for how long not just what your DVLA record shows. You can legally have a licence for years but never have been insured to drive a motor vehicle.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:21 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
I think you will find that the insurance companies want a record of you being insured and for how long not just what your DVLA record shows. You can legally have a licence for years but never have been insured to drive a motor vehicle.
Yes, an insurer will welcome an insurance history along with the DVLA records. I am assuming that the DVLA record will not only show length of time licensed, but also details as to whether or not you have any driving infractions. That is important information for an underwriter.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:41 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by lf1
Yes, an insurer will welcome an insurance history along with the DVLA records. I am assuming that the DVLA record will not only show length of time licensed, but also details as to whether or not you have any driving infractions. That is important information for an underwriter.
But if Im not mistaken the DVLA record only shows the driving licence history.
I could pass my driving test and get a full licence. The new licences have to be replaced every 10 years but the old paper licences are valid until aged 70.
I could hold a valid licence for 10 years but not own a car or have an insurance policy. DVLA record will show a clean licence even if I havent driven thats why copies of previous insurers are required to lower premiums.
Old Aug 13th 2013, 6:55 pm
lf1
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian
But if Im not mistaken the DVLA record only shows the driving licence history.
I could pass my driving test and get a full licence. The new licences have to be replaced every 10 years but the old paper licences are valid until aged 70.
I could hold a valid licence for 10 years but not own a car or have an insurance policy. DVLA record will show a clean licence even if I havent driven thats why copies of previous insurers are required to lower premiums.
If that is the case, the OP should get their "driving history" from the appropriate authority. I don't know who holds that info in the UK, I just assumed that DVLA would be involved. An underwriter wants the claims history, but the "drivers history" is also important to them. Someone, could be claims free and still have a poor driving history e.g. speeding tickets etc.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.