Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance costs

Car insurance costs

Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:17 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance costs

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
I know and understand for sure, also boot on the other foot you are hit in an accident by someone that only has minimum coverage for third party liability, some provinces as low as $50 ,000 average is $200,000 k, now , if you are middle /early years in full time job and cannot ever work again and need care even $200k is not going to get you far, but this could be the max you get, also this is not per person in an accident it's per claim, so if there is hubby wife and 2 kids this limit has to cover you all, anything serious you are screwed , please obtain high limits for tp liab coverage but also ensure you request family endorsement known as endorsement 44 which means if you have a non fault accident with someone only carrying minimal limits of $ that your own policy will then kick in to cover your compensation owed up to the limit of what you carry on your own policy
The Supreme Court of Canada has limited general damages to around $350,000. One cannot claim for future earnings in the European sense, and "loss of capacity" is awarded. IIRC the maximum is around $120,000.

Now, I appreciate that one may completely unfortunate and be responsible for an accident where 15 people are all put into a PVS, but I wager there hasn't been too many of these in Canada in the past 150 years
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:28 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
The Supreme Court of Canada has limited general damages to around $350,000. One cannot claim for future earnings in the European sense, and "loss of capacity" is awarded. IIRC the maximum is around $120,000.

Now, I appreciate that one may completely unfortunate and be responsible for an accident where 15 people are all put into a PVS, but I wager there hasn't been too many of these in Canada in the past 150 years
Are you referring to claims in a certain Province where this precedent has been set? I deal with claim in Tort Provinces except one.

We still have plenty of claims in excess of limits on the policy where the insured's have been put on notice, future care costs can be significant, or we are dealing with claims under the SEF44 Endorsement well in excess of the values quoted above. A claim reaching limits is normally quick to close though, one bonus
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:30 pm

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
With due deference to the youth of the posters on this thread, I think there's a risk of an ongoing Grandmother/eggs situation. That said, ime, the coverage limit does bound the expectation of the claimant. People will shell out to sue deep pocketed insurance companies but it's not worth their while trying to collect $200,000 from the insurer and then fourteen and sixpence from someone who doesn't have two halfpennies to rub together. The claim will expand or contract to match the availability of funds.
Completely agree with above, particularly when a lawyer is involved, first question they ask, whats the limit on the policy
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Are you referring to claims in a certain Province where this precedent has been set? I deal with claim in Tort Provinces except one.
It was set by the Supreme Court of Canada. The Court whose decisions bind the whole of Canada.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

It was set by the Supreme Court of Canada. The Court whose decisions bind the whole of Canada.
So, if I`ve grasped this correctly, assuming what you say is accurate (and you have me convinced) then there is no point in buying insurance with public liability above, say, $500,000?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 6:53 pm

Originally Posted by energysolutions
So, if I`ve grasped this correctly, assuming what you say is accurate (and you have me convinced) then there is no point in buying insurance with public liability above, say, $500,000?
I have moved roles in the last 8 months and have not heard of this, I have just asked around my office and yes whilst General Damages are generally capped at around the $350k mark, the other heads of damages are still fully entitled to be claim ie future care, loss of earnings capacity etc.

I would be interested to see the case if AC can post it, either way like he said highly unlikely you may need higher, but in the scheme of the insurance premium a higher liability limit doesnt actually increase the premium too much and like I said earlier up the thread this higher limit can also be used to you and anyone travelling in your vehicle's benefit if you are involved in a non fault claim with someone carrying lower limits. I think it cost another $30 bucks a year to increase mine from $500k to $2 million
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:10 pm
BE Enthusiast

energysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond reputeenergysolutions has a reputation beyond repute

I have moved roles in the last 8 months and have not heard of this, I have just asked around my office and yes whilst General Damages are generally capped at around the $350k mark, the other heads of damages are still fully entitled to be claim ie future care, loss of earnings capacity etc.

I would be interested to see the case if AC can post it, either way like he said highly unlikely you may need higher, but in the scheme of the insurance premium a higher liability limit doesnt actually increase the premium too much and like I said earlier up the thread this higher limit can also be used to you and anyone travelling in your vehicle's benefit if you are involved in a non fault claim with someone carrying lower limits. I think it cost another $30 bucks a year to increase mine from $500k to $2 million
Sounds like its worth the extra $30......

You seem particularly knowledgable on this subject - do you have any tips on how to the get the best insurance deals and important "do`s" and "dont`s" (like the type youve just outlined) when insurance shopping in Canada?
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by energysolutions
Only if you can guarantee that you will only injure one person per claim or that there will be no property damage.
Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:25 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Andrews v. Grand & Toy Alberta Ltd.

There is no such thing as loss of future earnings in Canada. It is loss of capacity and the mutiplicand/multiplier system used in the rest of the civilised world is not known here.

Old Feb 14th 2013, 7:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Only if you can guarantee that you will only injure one person per claim or that there will be no property damage.
I see - so its ok to drive over one person with that level of cover but I need to up it for each additional person that I want to flatten
Old Feb 14th 2013, 9:04 pm

There is no such thing as loss of future earnings in Canada. It is loss of capacity and the mutiplicand/multiplier system used in the rest of the civilised world is not known here.
thanks, terminology wise I am still on UK, however we still regularly see demands received in excess of $1 million, granted majority of the time they get no where near what is claimed, however the "loss of capacity", care etc in addition to General Damages can still mount up to a sizeable claim when warranted.
Old Feb 15th 2013, 2:31 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You might want to read some of the cases in the Supreme Court of BC regarding your statement. Most Insurance claims have a decision on Past Wage Loss/Loss of Earning Capacity/Costs of Future Care
Old Feb 15th 2013, 12:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

You might want to read some of the cases in the Supreme Court of BC regarding your statement. Most Insurance claims have a decision on Past Wage Loss/Loss of Earning Capacity/Costs of Future Care
The Supreme Court on BC is bound by the decisions of the Supreme Court of Canada. If you read what I have posted above you will note that I was talking about loss of future earnings not the heads of damage you mention.