Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in Canada?

Car insurance in Canada?

Old Sep 7th 2008, 8:29 pm
Just Joined

Fiona2110 is an unknown quantity at this point
Smile Car insurance in Canada?

We're doing a recce visit to Vancouver in October whilst visiting my husband's aunt. She has offered us the use of her car (nice!) but when I asked her about insurance she came up with some vague answer saying it was included in her license! Does anybody know what that means? Do we need to take out additional insurance on her policy, or do we take out our own, or what?!

Fiona, confused ...
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in Canada?

Hi Fiona

If you are just coming for a visit, you will be covered under your husband's Aunt's insurance policy. If anything were to happen, it would go against her policy as owner/operator of the vehicle. One thing to check is if she has a 021 rating (only drivers in the household with over 10 years experience can operate the vehicle)... and if you have over 10 years, you're good to go.

If you were to be here for months, and planned to use the vehicle all the time, you would have to look at changing the policy to include you as the Principal Operator.

If you have any further questions, feel free to drop me a line... or check out ICBC's website at www.icbc.com.

Cheers

Oggy

(PS) My hubby is from just outside of Edinburgh too

Last edited by NessieOggy; Sep 7th 2008 at 9:10 pm.
Old Sep 7th 2008, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Fiona2110 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks NessyOggy

Whereabout just outside Edinburgh? Have you been there long?

My husband loves the Okanagan and if he could only get a job there, he (we'd) be there in a shot! One of the reasons for our visit is to try and suss out the job market.

Cheers m'dear
Fiona
Old Sep 7th 2008, 10:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

No probs at all, Fiona Hubby grew up in Bathgate & then they moved over to Livingston. Our application was spousal, so he was my wee import a few years ago!

The Okanagan is a beautiful place to live, but does have it's drawbacks.... employment being one of them. It really depends on what type of work you do as some occupations (trades especially) are in demand, but for the most part, the wages could be much better!

Oggy