Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car insurance in BC

Car insurance in BC

Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice
Default Car insurance in BC

Hi all,

I'll (hopefully) be moving to BC (Victoria to be exact) in a month, and I'm currently going through the fun that is trying to prise information out of UK insurance companies in the required format - which is proving to be somewhat... frustrating <ungrits teeth>. Swinton seem to refuse to send any custom letters out (and have just sent me the standard no-claims letter out instead), and the AA haven't managed to find any of my previous policies so far.

So, preparing for the worst as always...

I'm 29, I plan on buying something old, cheap (less than $1,000), and I won't be driving a huge amount. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of premiums. I've had a search through the forums but it seems most people have much newer cars - I'm not sure just how much this makes a difference.

Either way, I know it's not going to be cheap, but whether it's going to be a , a , or even a

Andy.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:54 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car insurance in BC

Originally Posted by roflwell

I'm 29, I plan on buying something old, cheap (less than $1,000), and I won't be driving a huge amount. I'd be interested in anyone else's experience of premiums. I've had a search through the forums but it seems most people have much newer cars - I'm not sure just how much this makes a difference.
Age of the vehicle makes very little difference. Sometimes it may increase the insurance, depending on value.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 1:58 am
Forum Regular

roflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really niceroflwell is just really nice

Originally Posted by Aviator
Age of the vehicle makes very little difference. Sometimes it may increase the insurance, depending on value.
Understood. I was hesitant at posting this because it's such a vague question.

Out of interest, is it possible to ring ICBC and ask them for a quote, or is this a ridiculous notion best left until I get there? :0

Andy.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:08 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's old shitty Honda civic worth $1000 was nearly as much to insure our brand new one. Go figure.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:09 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Out of interest, is it possible to ring ICBC and ask them for a quote, or is this a ridiculous notion best left until I get there? :0

Andy.
I think you'll need an address and licence number before you get a quote but I could be wrong.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
My wife's old shitty Honda civic worth $1000 was nearly as much to insure our brand new one. Go figure.
Ouch. How much was that, if you don't mind me asking?
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:39 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
I think you'll need an address and licence number before you get a quote but I could be wrong.
you can get a quote in advance of actually owning the vehicle or getting your number plates, but I think you have to know what the car will be, your address, off street parking, value etc. I got a quote on a refrigerated lorry before I bought it - but I did go to ICBC in person.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 2:59 am
Beep

Ouch. How much was that, if you don't mind me asking?
It was more than the value of the car
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:08 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

I have an old work truck, 1997 GMC with almost 400,000 kms, it would cost around $2000 pr year at base rates to insure it without no claims, i pay $1100
The truck is probably worth $2000!
Of course you don't need to take all the insurance extras like collision and comprehensive on an older vehicle and it is possible to shop round for private insurance of the extra bits so long as you take the basic with ICBC, this can help lower cost if you don't have any no claims.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:13 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

I'll (hopefully) be moving to BC (Victoria to be exact) in a month, and I'm currently going through the fun that is trying to prise information out of UK insurance companies in the required format - which is proving to be somewhat... frustrating <ungrits teeth>. Swinton seem to refuse to send any custom letters out (and have just sent me the standard no-claims letter out instead), and the AA haven't managed to find any of my previous policies so far.

So, preparing for the worst as always...

Either way, I know it's not going to be cheap, but whether it's going to be a , a , or even a

Andy.
If you persevere it is possible to get the right information in the right letter for ICBC. It took us almost 6 months - one of the insurers was the AA too!
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:07 am
BE Enthusiast

sdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nicesdo1982 is just really nice

2012 Focus SEL brand new, with extra coverage for $3M liability and all the whistles and bells, including work coverage.
Im 30, been driving since 18, no accidents etc, but couldn't get a damn thing from UK insurers, premium came in at $3900.
It could be lower if I add a clause that stops people with less than 10 years driving experience driving the car.
The premium was about $20 cheaper for a 2.5 Escape 4wd that had a higher purchase price.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:09 am
Just Joined

Super Plumb is an unknown quantity at this point

Max discount here in BC is only 43%. Rates are high and if you go fully comp its aprox double that of third party. Its your choice at the end of the day, but let me tell you they cant drive. In Kelowna we have a registered weekly ave of 78 crashes a week. The test is a joke and someone has to pay for all the repairs. For the last 20 years its been me and Ive never claimed
Old Jun 13th 2012, 4:51 am
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

2005 Jetta and a 2006 Smart car, $2100 a year with pretty much max discount. But we're in Alberta, so at least we get to talk to a human being at a private sector insurance company that needs our business.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 5:40 am
BE Forum Addict

printer has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond reputeprinter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sdo1982
2012 Focus SEL brand new, with extra coverage for $3M liability and all the whistles and bells, including work coverage.
Im 30, been driving since 18, no accidents etc, but couldn't get a damn thing from UK insurers, premium came in at $3900.
It could be lower if I add a clause that stops people with less than 10 years driving experience driving the car.
The premium was about $20 cheaper for a 2.5 Escape 4wd that had a higher purchase price.
2012 Subaru WRX STI, only get 25% because of a claim. I was quoted $3710 by ICBC.
I just got the basic from them which was $807 then used Canadian Direct for the rest. Total amount for 3000,000 liability, collision, comprehensive and replacement cost from Canadian direct was less than the ICBC basic, i save in total over 50%.
If you have a poor no claim record it is worth checking out Canadian Direct.
I have to also add both my sons, one 20, one 22 are included on the policy at that price.
Old Jun 13th 2012, 3:44 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Andy.
ICBC don't directly sell insurance, you have to go through an Autoplan insurance broker. You would need a post code to get a quote as it varies by location and risk. You can get an indication from a broker, but without already having a policy for them to get information it might not be that accurate.
My 21 year old drives a high performance sports car (6 litre I believe), pays $2500 comp with $5m liability, my vehicles range from the cheapest $1200 to $1600 comp with $5m liability, with 10 year minimum driving experience restriction. (newer pick ups and 20 year old small beater sedan). Minimum libility is $200k, nowhere near enough if you have a low risk threshold, then it goes up $1m to $5m.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.