Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

Old Jan 24th 2009, 3:15 pm
Forum Regular

scooby109 will become famous soon enoughscooby109 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

Originally Posted by dboy
I think that you have to look at the entire cost of motoring. Insurance is higher (In BC I'm paying about 1600 per year for an 03 Audi A4) but no road tax. Manchester is likely going to introduce a 5 quid a day fee to enter the city centre.

Gas, as we all know is cheaper; and vehicles themselves are generally cheaper. Even pay parking in the cities is cheaper. I had a shock in Manchester last year when i payed 8 quid for a couple of hours. I live in downtown Vancouver and only pay $35 per year that allows me to park in permit designated areas and never have probs finding parking. Prior to that i had off street parking for about 40 per month.

The problem is I think Brits tend to get carried away when they come over and buy bigger, less economical vehicles than they would have in the UK; thus, losing any gains over what they would have been paying in the uk.

I think if you were to a own a comparable vehicle to what you owned in the UK, you would come out ahead.
Hi I am staying in Saskatoon at the mo, so out of curiosity i went and got a quote from a local insurer.

The car was a chylser PT cruiser, brand new. Assuming I had 6 yrs, verifiable, no claims in the UK and a clean licence, drivers abstract from swansea, it would cost almost 1000 csd a yr
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:38 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by scooby109
Hi I am staying in Saskatoon at the mo, so out of curiosity i went and got a quote from a local insurer.

The car was a chylser PT cruiser, brand new. Assuming I had 6 yrs, verifiable, no claims in the UK and a clean licence, drivers abstract from swansea, it would cost almost 1000 csd a yr
As noted above, the type of car makes very little difference to the premium here, in that regard you may as well have the GT or turbo version of whatever car it is.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:43 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

The pace of driving in Canada is such that I'd die of boredom were I not eating, drinking, phoning and flossing.

I suspect YOU omitted an activity here.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 4:45 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
The pace of driving in Canada is such that I'd die of boredom were I not eating, drinking, phoning and flossing.

I suspect YOU omitted an activity here.
Wanking was discussed above, what else do you have in mind?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
And I thought a thread about Car insurance would be dull
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:13 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps too subtly for brian?
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:16 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute

How flexible are you? Although somewhat difficult and dangerous while car in motion, for most of the rest of us.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 5:31 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Auld Yin
How flexible are you?
When masturbating? Not at all, it doesn't work if you're bendy.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:51 pm
riding the saltchuck

Edna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond reputeEdna Bucket has a reputation beyond repute

Oh good Lord, no. The pace of driving in Canada is such that I'd die of boredom were I not eating, drinking, phoning and flossing. It's when driving that I most regret not smoking, I have nothing to do with the hand not holding the phone.
Anything that requires more than one hand is worrying
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:07 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Originally Posted by Edna Bucket
Anything that requires more than one hand is worrying
Flossing only works on straight roads.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 7:27 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by scooby109

I have never actually owned a car in the uk (could never afford one) so i'm totally out of touch as far as insurance costs go. Is that a good deal or not?

Over here, the vehicle itself has little effect on the cost. I had a piece of s--t sunfire that was worth about 15 pence which i traded in for an audi. The audi was two years old and cost 35,000 at the time- difference in insurance - around
250 dollars per year! Its all about the liability.

As i said though, you have to look at the total cost of motoring.