Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:53 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Yes, but only half-suicide. There are a lot of detailed statistics in this link...

http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/collision_stats00_e.pdf

...and down on page 5 we find that there are 1614 fatalities and 41703 personal injury collisions per year in rural areas but only 914 fatalities out of 111899 injury collisions in urban areas (where almost all Canadians live).

My take on this is higher speeds, less attention to driving and a whole bunch of redneck pickup truck drivers out in the sticks. At this rate we'll soon have none of the latter left.

Boohoo.
Does 401 outside of TO/Mississauga count as rural?

Correction: I mean, it sucks all the way down to K-W.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Urban and Rural are singularly ill defined terms anyway at the best of times.

I live in the "City of Quinte West", and the speed limit on my road is 50kmh, so technically "City" by their standards...

but does this look like city to you?

The study basically defines Rural as a limit in excess of 60kmh in the absence of anything else, so all that stat really tells us is that more accidents occur in areas with slow speed limits (ie where there are more people), but that if you are going fast then you are more likely to be killed in an accident. Well, it aint rocket surgery.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 22nd 2009 at 9:07 pm.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:03 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by iaink
Urban and Rural are singularly ill defined terms anyway at the best of times.

I live in the "City of Quinte West", and the speed limit on my road is 50kmh, so technically "City" by their standards...

but does this look like city to you?
No. BTW it made me smile. I remember I saw this photo several months back, clicked on some link in some thread. I've thought how great would be living there. Now I'm in a high-rise.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Does 401 outside of TO/Mississauga count as rural?

Correction: I mean, it sucks all the way down to K-W.
I dunno. I only skimmed the link, it's huge. I prefer to contemplate the imminent demise of pick up trucks and rednecks for a short while longer rather than go and read it in more detail.

Is that OK with you?
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:18 am
Just Joined

The Burbs is an unknown quantity at this point

I used the Cooperators who took my UK history, I pay $1500 for a Ford Freestar. $1500 seems to be a popular price, they quoted me that much on every car I considered.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:49 am

seaham gal is an unknown quantity at this point

Shouldn't the cost of fuel be taken into consideration? I know it's no justification for the high insurance premiums - but it does equal outlay out a bit.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:58 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Iain's right. I suspect there are hundreds of 'it wasn't really my fault, I just kinda slid into him" accidents every day of the winter here .... that soon adds up. And when you have your own "it really wasn't my fault, I didn't see the ice" crunch, you'll be grateful for the insurance - even if it is $1000 year ....
Last month, the Ontario Provincial Police reported 70 crashes in less than 5hrs between 6am and 10.45am just in the Barrie area. The number of single-vehicle crashes is rising according to http://www.thebarrieexaminer.com/Art...aspx?e=1354752

Originally Posted by GavinR
You are twice as likely to die in an automobile accident in Canada than the UK.
More distance between towns.
Larger commute area.
Lack of alternatives for anything other than short distances.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 12:58 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seaham gal
Shouldn't the cost of fuel be taken into consideration? I know it's no justification for the high insurance premiums - but it does equal outlay out a bit.
No, because its such a big country and you end up driving twice as far anyway, plus 2.0l is considered a small engine here, and 30mpg "good economy"

Originally Posted by The Burbs
I used the Cooperators who took my UK history, I pay $1500 for a Ford Freestar. $1500 seems to be a popular price, they quoted me that much on every car I considered.

Insurance here is much more based on the driver than the car type and performance, and the actual cost of repair is dwarfed by the liability costs, so its no suprise to me yuo got largely the same quote regardless of vehicle.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

TrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond reputeTrishP has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Diggler
Does anyone know why car insurance is so expensive in Canada compred to the UK.
I only speak for Ontario ... I work in rehab with survivors of auto accidents, so work in the (horrible and unfair) system. It's written into the Auto Insurance Act in this province that accident benefits must be paid out to certain stated maximums following an accident, depending on the extent of injury and proof of. Attendant care benefits, housekeeping and caregiving benefits, income replacement benefits if unable to work, medical and rehabilitation benefits, rehousing, etc. must all be paid out (with a lawyer's assistance, of course!). Various systems in place unfortunately create a huge wasteful drain on resources within this system (known as SABS), for example if the adjuster disagrees with my request for funding for a client or for treatment, then they will approach a different company or individual to carry out an assessment and make a judgement as to what I am requesting is reasonable - these assessments alone can cost up to $5K each and happen on multiple occasions throughout the time a client is on my caseload.

Here in Ontario, when someone has an accident, regardless of whose fault it was, you claim SABS Statutory Accident Benefits) from your OWN insurer. The suing part, known as the tort claim, is suing the OTHER driver's insurance.
The maximum that can be gained from the SABS is set in stone by law, but you have the option when you purchase insurance of increasing these limits by paying a small addition on the premium.

I would recommend that everyone in Ontario voluntarily increases their SABS when they renew insurance - I've increased mine, as I know I couldn't survive on $400 per week income replacement benefit if I was unable to work after an auto accident! I've seen too many of my clients struggle financially, through no fault of their own. I also know how $100K medical/rehab benefit can be eaten up very quickly, so have increased mine to $1M.

I would also recommend that in the event of an accident resulting in injuries, you get yourself a good personal injury lawyer! They are worth every penny of their time - again, I've seen too many people shafted by adjusters when they don't have a lawyer!
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 1:50 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by TrishB
I only speak for Ontario ... I work in rehab with survivors of auto accidents, so work in the (horrible and unfair) system. It's written into the Auto Insurance Act in this province that accident benefits must be paid out to certain stated maximums following an accident, depending on the extent of injury and proof of. Attendant care benefits, housekeeping and caregiving benefits, income replacement benefits if unable to work, medical and rehabilitation benefits, rehousing, etc. must all be paid out (with a lawyer's assistance, of course!). Various systems in place unfortunately create a huge wasteful drain on resources within this system (known as SABS), for example if the adjuster disagrees with my request for funding for a client or for treatment, then they will approach a different company or individual to carry out an assessment and make a judgement as to what I am requesting is reasonable - these assessments alone can cost up to $5K each and happen on multiple occasions throughout the time a client is on my caseload.

Here in Ontario, when someone has an accident, regardless of whose fault it was, you claim SABS Statutory Accident Benefits) from your OWN insurer. The suing part, known as the tort claim, is suing the OTHER driver's insurance.
The maximum that can be gained from the SABS is set in stone by law, but you have the option when you purchase insurance of increasing these limits by paying a small addition on the premium.

I would recommend that everyone in Ontario voluntarily increases their SABS when they renew insurance - I've increased mine, as I know I couldn't survive on $400 per week income replacement benefit if I was unable to work after an auto accident! I've seen too many of my clients struggle financially, through no fault of their own. I also know how $100K medical/rehab benefit can be eaten up very quickly, so have increased mine to $1M.

I would also recommend that in the event of an accident resulting in injuries, you get yourself a good personal injury lawyer! They are worth every penny of their time - again, I've seen too many people shafted by adjusters when they don't have a lawyer!

This should be added to the WIKI. Awesome info... and my insurance is up for renewal soon too.

Last edited by iaink; Jan 23rd 2009 at 1:52 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:55 pm
50 and wanting to go back

jimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant futurejimbloby7 has a brilliant future
Post Re: CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

They can, and they have. Frequently. I expect there is even a wiki about it, although I haven't checked.

Some people would kill to pay only $1800, Ive seen much higher premiums mentioned in the past by those just off the boat, although in recent years insurers here have been more open to well documented good driving records elsewhere. As ever with insurance what you are insuring and where will also impact premiums, as will liability levels etc ($2M liability is becoming more and more "the norm" by the way)

Ive been here 11 years accident free, and I still pay 800 on the old Subaru and 1000 on the new civic, and that's combining discounts for multi cars, home insurance and 5% off for having snow tires. Insurance is simply not cheap here...too many lawyers and potentially expensive medical bills see to that.
Just wondered if they have a scoring system for types of cars, like they do in the UK. i.e. Group 1,2,3 etc
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:01 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

No, because its such a big country and you end up driving twice as far anyway....
I wonder if this old chestnut is actually true? I know the default annual driving distance (I nearly said mileage there but dbd33 would be on my case in microseconds) for lease cars is 20,000 Km. Anyone know what it is in the UK?

<My annual driving distance is usually about 18,000 km>
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:10 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

I wonder if this old chestnut is actually true? I know the default annual driving distance (I nearly said mileage there but dbd33 would be on my case in microseconds) for lease cars is 20,000 Km. Anyone know what it is in the UK?
I believe it's 10,000 miles or 16,000 km.

Perhaps someone who lives there can confirm or not.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:11 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

<My annual driving distance is usually about 18,000 km>
10 or 12,000 miles are the usual defaults I remember (depending on manufacturer) in the UK, so slightly less than Canada.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 8:28 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by R I C H
10 or 12,000 miles are the usual defaults I remember (depending on manufacturer) in the UK, so slightly less than Canada.
Hmmmm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.