Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:35 pm
G77
BE Forum Addict

G77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond reputeG77 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CAR INSURANCE AAAARRRRGGGGG!!!!

I live on the border, so go to the US regularly - I was told $2m liability should be a minimum for me....

BTW - I pay $1500 ish for me on a 2005 Ford Freestyle, I recently added the wife for another $190 who only has a G2 license...
Old Jan 21st 2009, 10:38 pm
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

Originally Posted by GavinR
You are twice as likely to die in an automobile accident in Canada than the UK.
WOW are the drivers really THAT bad!
Old Jan 21st 2009, 11:07 pm
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by skyturner
WOW are the drivers really THAT bad!

I don't know why it should be when the roads are straight and the speeds slower, it must be down to poor driving. Can't even blame it on the snow as the worst time for fatal accidents is on a Sunday afternoon in the summer.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 9:18 am
Forum Regular

skyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really niceskyturner is just really nice

I don't know why it should be when the roads are straight and the speeds slower, it must be down to poor driving. Can't even blame it on the snow as the worst time for fatal accidents is on a Sunday afternoon in the summer.
Yeah! Canada's got Sunday drivers too!
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 11:06 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mike Bond
We are relocating to Canada this year, just as soon as we sell the country pile. My wife has been reading some real horror stories about insurance costs in Canada, the figure of $1800 was mentioned and that set the alarm bells off :curse:. We will be living in or near Saskatoon, my wife is flapping like a big bag of flappy things about haw much the car & house insurance is going to cost (we live in France at the moment and insurance is NOT expencive) Can anybody cast some light on the murky place called "Insurance"?

Here is a link to Aviva Insurance Brokers in SK. They gave us an excellent quote when we first arrived in NS with a clean driving history - $950 for 10 month old Honda CRV. That quote went down to $750 after one year and I am waiting for this year's quote to come through.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 3:58 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Why no one mentions kanetix.ca ? Actually, BelairDirect is a good one and always the lowest on Kanetix in the unlucky case when they don't take European experience into account.

Johnson's rules differ from country to country, and in my case they said I'd get a discount for my European history only if I already have one year here or in US.

I got relatively good price with State Farm, few hundred per year better than with BelairDirect. The only discount was for "package insurance" with household and general liability for $20 extra. Otherwise for them it was a clean G license with no history at all.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:04 pm
Just Joined

deedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the roughdeedogar74 is a jewel in the rough

i can recommend Brittney at BIGI group in Anderson, SW, we got insurance on a pontiac montana van for $699 for 2 drivers, they are a family business and are very very helpful, her details are ph: 403 251 1700 and email is [email protected]
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 4:11 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Off the top of my head;

: Lots of older vehicles that dont have to do an anuual MOT type check, and perhaps not in the best shape for a crash.

: Likelyhood of collision with heavy pickup truck type object..ladder frames dont really do much in the way of energy absorption, passive safety of vehicles is not a high priority here

: People simply drive more here

: Drunk driving is clearly still not unacceptable here, although its getting less common as a result of recent programs.

Its an interesting stat though, and perhaps goes towards explaining the higher premiums
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Diggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to allDiggler is a name known to all

Yes, your right ( i never realized) - we have similar number of road deaths every year yet twice the population on an island a fraction of the size ! Its hard to get your head around that statistic. But for sure, that explains the premiums !
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 7:23 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
What's odd is that similar conditions exist in the US, which is even more litigious, and has even more punitive medical expenses, but AFAIK the insurance costs are far less than Canada....
In our case, the Canadian plated cars are about C$1,000/yr each. The Toyota, with similar coverage but on US plates, is US$112.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:17 pm
Forum Regular

Settlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really niceSettlers_Unlimited is just really nice

Originally Posted by Diggler
Yes, your right ( i never realized) - we have similar number of road deaths every year yet twice the population on an island a fraction of the size ! Its hard to get your head around that statistic. But for sure, that explains the premiums !
I didn't find numbers from UK on Nationmaster. But in France and Belgium, 50% deaths more than in Canada. Canada is comparable with Germany, Austria and Switzerland. But driving in Canada for me is twice more scary than in France, forget about calm German-speaking countries.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:20 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
I didn't find numbers from UK on Nationmaster. But in France and Belgium, 50% deaths more than in Canada. Canada is comparable with Germany, Austria and Switzerland. But driving in Canada for me is twice more scary than in France, forget about calm German-speaking countries.
Where in Canada? In my little backwater I find it infinately more relaxed than the dog eat dog world of UK driving. In the city (TO) its a nightmare, but thats just cos there are too many people there anyway.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:21 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Not quite. http://www.driveandstayalive.com/inf...apita-2004.htm

...about 50% more likely. But that can't be the (main) reason for our very high insurance costs, because the US rate is about 80% higher than ours and as someone else said, they're way more likely to sue for big bucks.

I think it's a ripoff, but what're you going to do?
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by iaink
Where in Canada? In my little backwater I find it infinately more relaxed than the dog eat dog world of UK driving. In the city (TO) its a nightmare, but thats just cos there are too many people there anyway.
Yes, you are right. I know you live in rural area, and recalling our trips out of city, it did feel much easier. In GTA it's half-suicide.

My job is going to be in a smaller city, not GTA, and the insurance agent said that if we decide to move closer to work, insurance is going to be significantly cheaper.
Old Jan 22nd 2009, 8:48 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Settlers_Unlimited
Yes, you are right. I know you live in rural area, and recalling our trips out of city, it did feel much easier. In GTA it's half-suicide.
Yes, but only half-suicide. There are a lot of detailed statistics in this link...

http://www.ccmta.ca/english/pdf/collision_stats00_e.pdf

...and down on page 5 we find that there are 1614 fatalities and 41703 personal injury collisions per year in rural areas but only 914 fatalities out of 111899 injury collisions in urban areas (where almost all Canadians live).

My take on this is higher speeds, less attention to driving and a whole bunch of redneck pickup truck drivers out in the sticks. At this rate we'll soon have none of the latter left.

Boohoo.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.