Car Insurance

Old Jun 10th 2010, 7:50 am
Just Joined

aonedoc is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Car Insurance

I am moving to Alberta in June End.
What documents are needed for Car Insurance in Alberta.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:48 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car Insurance

Originally Posted by aonedoc
Details of yourself, your car and and your address would probably be a start.

Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:16 am
Just Joined

aonedoc is an unknown quantity at this point

Do we need a letter from Insurance company in UK
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:26 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Do we need a letter from Insurance company in UK
If you want to try and get a hefty discount because you have a good no claims back in the UK, then yes. I think if you read the wiki - in the blue bar above, it will tell you the very letter you will need to request.

Old Jun 10th 2010, 11:33 am
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

Have been getting into long discussions with a car forum based in canada in the same vein

here's what you need officially

1> No claims bonus letter from your insurance company
2> Drivers Abstract letter from the DVLA cost £5
3> Swap your UK license for a Canadian License G3

However you will find yourself very quickly conned by almost all insurance companies there, it wont make a sing bit of differance, if youve got a full no claims for 10 years, you WILL get ripped.

They will see you as a brand new driver and butt rape you all the same.

I got quoted for a 19 year old Porsche with clean record and NCB of 15 years, for over $380 a month.

You will find if you can add house insurance and additonal cars to the same company you will get something.

But prepared to take it like a man or cry like a girl !

Sorry

I found out the hard way and had to sell her last minute.

Old Jun 10th 2010, 1:35 pm
agr
Occidentally Damaged

agr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to beholdagr is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jaye944
Have been getting into long discussions with a car forum based in canada in the same vein

However you will find yourself very quickly conned by almost all insurance companies there, it wont make a sing bit of differance, if youve got a full no claims for 10 years, you WILL get ripped.

I got quoted for a 19 year old Porsche with clean record and NCB of 15 years, for over $380 a month.

You will find if you can add house insurance and additonal cars to the same company you will get something.

Sorry

It's been said many times, but UK No Claims Discount is meaningless here, because it says nothing about whether you have made any claims (you can pay to protect it). Your UK insurer needs to state categorically what your claims history is. Which makes sense, when you think about it.

But yes, car insurance is fiercely expensive here whatever bits of paper you provide.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 4:31 pm
Forum Regular

mayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud ofmayersanna has much to be proud of

Hi

We were sad enough to keep several renewal notices from the UK that stated how many years NCB we had, and these were accepted. Our quote was around $1000, for the year for an 18 month old Dodge Journey. Then when we got the second car we got 10% discount, then we got contents insurance and this got 10% off also.

Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:30 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jaye944

Sorry

That sounds like a shocking quote - we've not paid anything like that for any of our cars - even the Rolls doesn't cost that much. Our no claims was also taken into account as when we supplied it our premium went down. Did you try classic insurance?

http://www.legendsinsurance.com/about_legends/index.htm
Old Jun 10th 2010, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

jimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond reputejimf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by agr
It's been said many times, but UK No Claims Discount is meaningless here, because it says nothing about whether you have made any claims (you can pay to protect it). Your UK insurer needs to state categorically what your claims history is. Which makes sense, when you think about it.

But yes, car insurance is fiercely expensive here whatever bits of paper you provide.
Canadian Direct accepted just a statement of no claims discount from the UK insurance company. I would suggest though that anyone gets a statement of when the UK insurance started, stopped and what claims there were in that period. Without the NCD the insurance would have been $4k a year which came down to $1k with the NCD (still approx double what it was in the UK for a minivan).
Old Jun 10th 2010, 8:02 pm
Forum Regular

Clay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura aboutClay Buster has a spectacular aura about

Don't believe the horror stories!!!

I was in Alberta for two years on a work permit, and then came back after a year in Dubai. The first time around, my broker got me a good rate (only had 2 years NCB then anyway). When I came back from Dubai, I had my original letter of 2 years NCB from the UK, plus 2 years in Canada, plus a year in Dubai.
I phoned AMA and got a quote based on 5 years NCB. I then went in person to their offices in Edmonton's West End with all my paperwork. They wouldn't accept Dubai experience but even so, I got the top rating (as in cheapest) on the Alberta insurance matrix. It worked out at about $2,000 for a $50,000 truck with 381 bhp.
Old Jun 10th 2010, 9:33 pm
Forum Regular

gjspain will become famous soon enoughgjspain will become famous soon enough

Hi, I will echo what people have said, be prepared. My first year insurance for a 2001 montana was $280 per month that was giving me some credit for my driving history.
You need to bring all your insurance letters with you that state you had no claims. If you were like me every year i would shop around and get the cheapest. In the UK, the last insurance is enough to get you the full discount. Here it is not, you have to get the letters from each insurance company.
Do shop around when you are here, some companys will accept the uk letters some will not. As for the drivers abstract i just photo copied my green piece of paper of my licence.
You will also have to surrender your uk licence here to get the Alberta driving licence. My advice to you, is to get a 2nd before you leave, then just hand one over. The reason they told me the insurance was so high is we dont experience the snow in the uk as they do here , lol.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 9:09 am
Edo
BE Forum Addict

Edo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond reputeEdo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gjspain
My advice to you, is to get a 2nd before you leave, then just hand one over.
I thought they return your UK license to DVLA to take it off their records when you replace it with an Alberta driving license? So even if you keep another copy of the UK license, DVLA wouldnt have a record of it
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:20 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clay Buster
It worked out at about $2,000 for a $50,000 truck with 381 bhp.
Note that it would still be about $2,000 if you had gone for a high powered, top-of-the-range truck. The type of vehicle doesn't have nearly the influence on premiums that it does in the UK.
Old Jun 11th 2010, 11:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Edo
I thought they return your UK license to DVLA to take it off their records when you replace it with an Alberta driving license? So even if you keep another copy of the UK license, DVLA wouldnt have a record of it
Nope, that's incorrect. Your details will still be valid within the confines of DVLA.

Old Jun 11th 2010, 12:29 pm
Forum Regular

adrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond reputeadrianj has a reputation beyond repute

that is "not" a drivers abstract,
they are available from DVLA for £5

Originally Posted by gjspain
As for the drivers abstract i just photo copied my green piece of paper of my licence.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.