car insurance

Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:17 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: car insurance

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
At some point your GB driving experience ends up on your record. We swapped in ON, then went straight to MB for 2yrs and came back to ON. When getting quotes in ON this time around, the insurer was able to access our record (we had to sign something to give permission - I can't remember what the record was called, I want to say MVP but that's not it ) and they could see our full driving history - GB driving included. Well, I lost a year in the process but since I only came with 9mths, it's not important. OH's full 17yrs or whatever were visible to Canadian insurers.

MVR
Old Jun 19th 2008, 2:26 pm
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

For people moving to BC, it seems ICBC no longer accept proof of No Claims Discount from the UK. Their reason is that you can insure the NCD. What they require is proof of a claims free history.
Old Jun 19th 2008, 6:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
MVR
Ahh! Thanks
Old Jun 20th 2008, 1:25 am
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Try Aviva! They recognise previous UK driving experience and clean driving record.

Our broker used them and our quote was $1600 cheaper than the top 2 highest quotes from other companies. 1st year quote was $1050 which was reduced to $950 with house insurance multi-policy. This year our quote was reduced down to $750. This is for a 2006 Honda CRV.

Here is a link to their country-wide list of brokers
Old Jun 20th 2008, 5:04 am
Forum Regular

compchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant futurecompchris has a brilliant future

Hi

We went with Belair Direct, we currently pay $105 a month for appartment and car insurance (we bought a new Kia Rio).
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:11 pm
Forum Regular

garvard will become famous soon enough

Sorry, annabella, for using your thread but I think my following question should be useful for newcomers.
I am planning to stay and drive my car in Toronto for a 7-10 days after my landing as newcomer to Canada and then drive to mu final destination in Moncton, New Brunswick.
Can I buy a car insurance in Ontario and will it be OK for other province (New Brunswick)?
Old Jun 20th 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

geedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond reputegeedee has a reputation beyond repute

I ended up with a company called AllState. They were the most competitive and they did take the age of my UK license into account.... I don't know if it made a difference.... the premiums are still very high, but lower than two brokers offered.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 4:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Dave+Jules
Apparently Axa Equity and Law also accept UK NCB without any questions if you have an Axa policy. Well worth considering a switch to the Insurance companies who do this in the UK.
If you go to the Axa Insurance UK site, for motor insurance, it takes you to Swift Cover - any ideas if this will be treated as an Axa Uk policy by Axa Equity and Law? I'm currently changing my insurance here, and Swift Cover are giving me a good quote, just want to check if its worth moving.

Ta.
Old Jul 22nd 2008, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Hi,

If you are swapping your UK licence prior to getting vehicle insurance, ensure that you photocopy the endorsements section of your UK licence, as the insurers will want to see it.

A problem that we often encounter is that most people have to drive right up until they leave the UK and when they arrive in Canada, they purchase a vehicle and when they go to insure it, they are still waiting for their proof of no claims. Ensure that you chase your UK insurance company for your proof of no claims as it makes a big difference when you get over here.

Eddie.
Old Sep 24th 2008, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

bgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond reputebgpz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Surrey Expat
For people moving to BC, it seems ICBC no longer accept proof of No Claims Discount from the UK. Their reason is that you can insure the NCD. What they require is proof of a claims free history.
I've just come off the phone with Johnsons and hit a similar brick wall... we had protected NCB but because I had to make a claim last August, they won't touch us.

Basically, if ANY driver to be named on a policy have ANY claims history in the last 4 years, Johnsons won't touch you.

[we're in Ontario, btw]

Time to try and find a good broker...

EDIT TO ADD: our new employer has an affinity scheme with an insurance division of TD. They were incredibly helpful, and thorough - it may have helped that I ended up speaking to an English lady who seemed to appreciate the differences between UK and Canadian insurance!

Last edited by bgpz; Sep 24th 2008 at 8:17 pm. Reason: updated :)