Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car dealerships & Cars

Car dealerships & Cars

Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:42 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car dealerships & Cars

Originally Posted by el_richo
The Audi Q7 has a nice TDI
I know, we had an A3 in the UK, I loved it!
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:52 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
I know, we had an A3 in the UK, I loved it!
Part Ex your Pontiac for one
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:37 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by el_richo
The Audi Q7 has a nice TDI
The Q5 is a better deal all round..cheaper and a better ride
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:39 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

cant do anything yet, Pontiac is on finance attached to it, so cant sell it until released from the loan, so need more money to release it, cant get that yet as just started new job... have to wait
Old Apr 10th 2012, 6:51 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Howefamily
cant do anything yet, Pontiac is on finance attached to it, so cant sell it until released from the loan, so need more money to release it, cant get that yet as just started new job... have to wait
If you trade it in the dealer will pay off the loan for you and refinance the new car
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:01 pm
Happy

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
If you trade it in the dealer will pay off the loan for you and refinance the new car
thats what I was hoping but according to Scotia bank, we have to pay it first, I am going to look into this
Old Apr 10th 2012, 7:02 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Eh? A dealer will pay you what it's worth in trade in, which may or may not be more than you owe. If it is, and the dealer allows you to carry that debt forward and add it to the purchase cost of your new car, then you are not avoiding costs, merely adding interest to the debt. And in the context of trying to reduce your monthly outgoings i.e. fuel costs, that's a bit silly. If you have a thirsty car, you need to suck up the fuel costs until such a time as it's paid off and/or depreciated enough to make it worthwhile changing.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 10:17 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Eh? A dealer will pay you what it's worth in trade in, which may or may not be more than you owe. If it is, and the dealer allows you to carry that debt forward and add it to the purchase cost of your new car, then you are not avoiding costs, merely adding interest to the debt.
Not necessarily
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:05 am
Forum Regular

laidback4 is on a distinguished road

When we first arrived in Canada we bought a Dodge Caliber as we needed a car and had one as a rental previously. It became apparent that we should have researched first as the thing drank gas and was very unreliable. I ended up trading it in for a VW Jetta TDI and it's perfect for my 110 mile a day round trip commute. I've managed to get over 1000 km's out of a single 67 dollar fillup. I used to get barely half that with the Caliber.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

I've just changed from a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager to a 2009 Ford Edge AWD.

Can hardly feel the difference.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:45 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

They simply add any negative equity to the new loan.
Old Apr 11th 2012, 9:49 am
Just Joined

debbie2801 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by spaceace
We just bought a Ford Escape from Denise Josey @ Fairley & Stevens on Windmill Road...I would recommend them.

We've got the Ford and I've got a Saab 95...I run the Saab on performance tires and the Escape on winters in the winter and we'll be swapping them to all seasons soon.

4x4 not really, but winter tires are recommended if you're not confident in the snow as it can get quite hairy on the highways, especially if you get caught in the initial snow fall where it can get quite slippery.

Johnsons really is the only choice for UK NCD recogonition.
Thanks so much Spaceace, we've had so much advise to get 4WD, don't get 4WD....but know that snow tyres a must. Thank you for the heads up re dealership and insurance. So gratefully received!
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:27 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by PeterF
I've just changed from a 1997 Plymouth Grand Voyager to a 2009 Ford Edge AWD.

Can hardly feel the difference.
Exactly im getting shot of my 2010 Edge its been a shower of shit
Old Apr 11th 2012, 1:28 pm
Every day's a school day

Originally Posted by jericho
They simply add any negative equity to the new loan.
not always..its called negotiating a deal
Old Apr 11th 2012, 4:28 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by debbie2801
Thanks so much Spaceace, we've had so much advise to get 4WD, don't get 4WD....but know that snow tyres a must. Thank you for the heads up re dealership and insurance. So gratefully received!
I don't think snow tires are a must, we had this thread before. If you live somewhere where the snow clearance is good I'm not sure they are that important, I've never had them and never had a problem really. NS gets a lot more snow though. Nice to have but "must" is going a bit far I think, depends on the amount of driving you do and where.

Several points that seem to apply generally to cars in Canada:

Costs more to get them fixed generally, so the more exotic the make the more expensive to get scratches and dings fixed, which you will be likely to get living in Canada. Tip #1 - if you live near the US border, see what the support is like for the car you are thinking of buying on the other side, as you can usually get it fixed for less there.

If you live in a province with private car insurance, shop around, and make sure you have five years or so of provable history of your foreign insurance as this will help. Also a copy of your foreign licence, as you may have to surrender it when you get a Canadian one. Usually I think going for a higher deductible is the key to getting a decent rate, as insurers expect there to be more minor damage to cars here.

Get windshield insurance. Windshields usually don't last too long.

The final tip is to think about buying a car in the US as it can be cheaper. More information on how to do this at www.riv.ca The trick to this is that usually you have to be a cash buyer as you can't lease it or make payments, as you are not resident in the US (but you might be able to get a bank loan in Canada if you haven't got the cash). Also - the warranty may not be honoured in Canada. This may or may not be a problem because obviously you can drive to the US if you have to, if the car is drivable (so don't buy something crap). Or you might be buying a used car, so not as big of a problem.

US dealers near the border are usually familiar with the paperwork to export to Canada, such as getting the approval letter. The car has to comply with Canadian safety requirements, which in most cases means taking it to Canadian Tire and getting the DRLs turned on.

Also something I've had a lot from dealers (unsurprisingly) - horror stories about how x part is not to "Canadian spec" or US servicing is inferior, etc. My experience is entirely the reverse.

In fact, as one simple example - www.tirerack.com Almost always lower prices on tires than Canadian prices and most importantly they are GST/HST registered so you simply order from them and they are delivered to your doorstep, no hidden fees.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.