Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:53 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Car brands/models in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You really do talk a load of hogwash about cars and winter and big roads etc, get over here and live here for a few years then pontificate on the subject.
I thought you drove some huge thing
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
where are you going to be living? Canada's a big country. There are plenty of Smart FourTwos on the roads of southern Ontario all year round.
Their's even more in Switzerland where they came from originally and we get plenty of snow there too
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:55 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Aah...I was thinking they had a track. Oh well.
They claim that cant do real world testing because it wouldnt be a level playing field....it all has to be "lab controlled".

Eh? I'll fetch me hat then...

Last edited by iaink; Sep 12th 2011 at 7:58 pm.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:58 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by soontobecanadianresident
[...] a crossover that does over 30mpg, check out the Nissan Juke, real enough for ya!
Originally Posted by dbd33
My God that's ugly. It looks like the Murano.
plug ugly, indeed ... which does nothing to disabuse me of the idea that there is never a good reason to buy a crossover. They always seem to be the worst of all possible compromises: the lack of interior space associated with the extra transmission and tonka-toy bodywork, without the genuine offroading capability of a "proper" 4x4. They seem to be more and more common now - a Pyrrhic triumph of marketing over engineering
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

soontobecanadianresident is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
Exactly, so dont come up with some BS reason to do it!

The topic of cars comes up here quite often. The general way they go is someone asks cos they dont recognise half the brands, someone else says they want a big car or SUV cos of the winter, and then the people that actually live here and have experience of buying the wrong thing for the wrong reasons and eventially got over the novelty of spending $500 a month on "cheap" gas point out that there is actually snow clearance on the roads here, and as long as you have winter tires a bigger vehicle is just going to cost you more to buy and run and not be of any benefit in the winter after all...

Weve all been there once upon a time, but its noticable that the posters here who have lived in Canada for a long time just drive regular cars. There is nothing terribly special about driving in Canada that winter tires cant fix.
And then someone gets on their high horse and gives the "holier than thou" reason that 'because I live in Canada I know everything and you know nothing' excuse

I would expect a little more from a moderator

Just because someone doesn't live in Canada permanently doesn't mean they don't travel there and live there more often than their home country or have family and friends who've grown up and lived in Canada for certainly longer than someone who has emigrated to the country!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 7:59 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

given the choice I'd probably buy another R8 and drive that out there, but then it's not practical for my needs!
Will you be selling your other R8 on ebay with your other belongings before you move in with the in-laws?
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:03 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Its still not a real world test, its all done on rolling road test stands, so wind resistance at real world speeds does not appear to be a factor as far as I can tell
The actual consumption on ours is very different to the book.

The buggers!!!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:04 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Just because someone doesn't live in Canada permanently doesn't mean they don't travel there and live there more often than their home country or have family and friends who've grown up and lived in Canada for certainly longer than someone who has emigrated to the country!
So what do they drive? You yourself said you had never driven anything big here in the winter.

If you want a big car, get a big car, just dont offer advice about the reliability or lack there of of domestic manufacturers or give reasons to drive a big vehicle that are not grounded in reality, thats all I am asking.

Everyone is welcome to post here. Some people actually come here for advice based on personal experience. I leave it to them to decide what serves them best.

Last edited by iaink; Sep 12th 2011 at 8:08 pm.
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

I thought you drove some huge thing
Toyota Venza and a hardly ever used Silverado I leave the semis to my drivers
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Gremmie
You really do talk a load of hogwash about cars and winter and big roads etc, get over here and live here for a few years then pontificate on the subject.
And yet you quote something I said that has nothing to do with cars and winter and big roads

Why don't you remind me exactly what the 'load of hogwash' I was speaking refers to?

Besides, my opionion is my personal opinion, you don't agree fine but that doesn't make it 'hogwash'.

And of course on cue is the mandatory 'I live in Canada, so I know everything' mantra. never mind that I know Canadians who've lived in Canada and been Canadian for much longer than you! :sigh:
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:07 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

And of course on cue is the mandatory 'I live in Canada, so I know everything' mantra. never mind that I know Canadians who've lived in Canada and been Canadian for much longer than you! :sigh:
Of course the other side of that argument is the "I've done the research" so I know all about it...bullshit.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:07 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
Will you be selling your other R8 on ebay with your other belongings before you move in with the in-laws?
Yes its on buy it now!

If you'd actually read my posts you'd see that I actually drive a smart fortwo at the moment. Granted its a little less nippy and top speed is a little lower but it's very economical!
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

I've been doing a lot of research on cars in Canada for when I finally move there with my OH.

I'm not sure if you're aware but you also have to pay sales tax on used cars in Canada, daylight robbery I know! and not only that, you will have to pay tax based on it's wholesale value from the Canadian Red Book, regardless if you pay less than that! Don't know about you but I really can't understand how they get away with charging sales tax on a car every time it's sold, daylight robbery if you ask me

Anyway as for hatchbacks, there are loads in Canada that we also have in the UK, you just need to check the manufacturers' websites. Here's a list of a few you could check out:

Mini Cooper
Nissan Versa Hatchback
Mitsubishi Lancer Sportsback
Volvo C30
Mazda 3
Lexus CT200h (nice little hybrid hatch)
Smart
Toyota Yaris hatchback
Volkswagen golf
Audi A3
BMW 1 series
Fiat 500
Ford Fiesta

Just be prepared that in North America in general, the trims are a lot lower quality than the European models due to much higher standards of the European market. For example higher level trims of Nissan in the UK usually come with sat nav standard whereas in North America, sat nav has to be paid for as an extra on top of supposed higher level trims.
Also, as a general rule, stay away from the American brands (lower quality, lower specs, lower reliability) unless you're on a tight budget as they are the cheaper brands in Canada. Japanese cars are more reliable and better equipped but also more expensive. European models are the most expensive and you may be surprised by some of the costs for supposedly cheaper models. In fact some of the European models cost exactly the same if not more than what you would pay in the UK.
I'm afraid I'd have to disagree. Whilst I acknowledge that the American car brands have made enormous strides in recent years to improve along with their European counterparts, even by your own admission it's 10 to 20 years behind. While American brands have started to improve standards recently, European and Japanese brands have continually improved.

VW's made in Mexico? Ok well that explains a lot about those then.

I'm not just bashing American car brands, I have owned several over the years, I'm just saying that they're still not quite as good or reliable as European or Japanese makes. That's not to say that all American cars are unreliable and rubbish because they're not. There are some very good brands and makes that I would consider buying when I emigrate to Canada, but that said, I will almost certainly end up buying a Japanese or European car.
And yet you quote something I said that has nothing to do with cars and winter and big roads

Why don't you remind me exactly what the 'load of hogwash' I was speaking refers to?

Besides, my opionion is my personal opinion, you don't agree fine but that doesn't make it 'hogwash'.

Just go back to every post you've made on this subject and see how after each comment its been shot down by people that know beter than you. Ergo tons of hogwash from you.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
What sort of a discount should I be aiming for on a new vehicle?
It depends, not all manufacturers offer the same markups to the dealers and there can be dealer incentives you don't know about.

Google Car Cost Canada. You can buy a report (it is only $40) that will tell you the price a dealer pays for your target vehicle and its nearest competitors. Add 5% because the dealership has to make some profit and that is about what you should pay.

Then all you have to worry about is all the extra costs the dealer will try and add on. Wear comfortable shoes as you might have to walk out once or twice, but if dealer one says they won't sell for that then dealer two or three will.
Old Sep 12th 2011, 8:19 pm
Forum Regular

So what do they drive? You yourself said you had never driven anything big here in the winter.

If you want a big car, get a big car, just dont offer advice about the reliability or lack there of of domestic manufacturers or give reasons to drive a big vehicle that are not grounded in reality, thats all I am asking.

Everyone is welcome to post here. Some people actually come here for advice based on personal experience. I leave it to them to decide what serves them best.
Wow this is getting to be a very hostile environment, I thought these forums were meant to be a place for people to seek help and offer their opinions, not to get slammed down for giving them and get attacked!!

Sure you may have gotten p***d off with the whole debate about bigger cars and in your opinions they are not the best cars to get in Canada but all I have done is offer my opinion throughout. In my opinion the bigger roads are suited to bigger cars based on my experience of driving bigger cars and other Canadians experience of driving bigger cars. In my opinion I would stay away from American brands as I believe in my opinion that Japanese/European cars are more reliable and better overall which is based on my experience with cars and through speaking with family members in Canada! Now if you don't agree with my opinions then fine, you can be polite and just say, 'sorry I don't agree here's why, here's my experience' not 'you don't live in Canada, you know nothing, you're wrong and that's all hogwash'

Surely as fellow expats we should be polite and helpful to one another rather than getting on someone's back just because you don't agree with their opinion?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.