Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Car brands/models in Canada ?

Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:03 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of
Default Re: Car brands/models in Canada ?

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Have done in the past and would do again in the future, great cars IMHO.
Neon with a mini hearse body on top
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:06 am
Meh

GavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud ofGavinR has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
Yup, it's about cars
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:07 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by GavinR
Just trying to get the topic back to cars. I thought it was interesting....
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:14 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
Because we have a big, bouncy, messy Labrador !

Ideally, I'm looking for something reliable, economical, not too big, hatchback, hopefully manual transmission.

What are the pros and cons of buying a manual transmission car in Canada?
Not so many of them around, slightly harder to sell, and a bit cheaper to buy in our experience.

Originally Posted by soontobecanadianresident
My preconception is that a smaller car wouldn't cope with the weather conditions in Canada. Correct me if I'm wrong but is a smart fortwo a viable option for the roads there?

Also I like the idea of having a bigger car for transporting friends and family and transporting items which would come into use when we move into our own place. Plus I like the comfort and features of a bigger car as opposed to the smaller compact!
Lots of Smart cars around here and in the winter too, the only things you see disappear off the roads are the sporty rear wheel types (Mustang GT's etc) and classics

Originally Posted by dbd33
I must say I rather enjoyed my stint with the 1973 Olds 98 Regency Brougham. Now that was a big car. Not excusable, but big.
OH wants the engine

Neon with a mini hearse body on top
Maybe so - I have no idea, it was roomy, cheap on gas, perfect for the dog, a manual and did fine in the snow on all seasons, I would love another one, but decent ones hold their value too well...

We have had all sorts since we've been here, the worst in the winter was a Durango - so bad OH wouldn't even let me have a go, second worse IMO was the Navigator, the 2wd trucks (without weight) were not much fun either, I don't like going sideways much. We have been thankful for having SUV's down our street on bad snow days in the past. OH likes big gas guzzlers, I like cute little things you can name, comfort on a long journey - and there are lots of those here must be a factor when choosing a car.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:17 am
Meh

I don't like going sideways much
That's where all the fun is in the winter.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:23 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

That's where all the fun is in the winter.
No it's scary - just thinking of having to face the music if a dent appears
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:25 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Seriously? You're really trying to argue that point? You're sticking to your guns that what I said is completely wrong??

This really is like banging my head against a wall. I say that in Canada there is sales tax to pay on used cars and you say that is wrong! It's like arguing with a child! So if someone asks me, is there sales tax on used cars in Canada, the correct answer is no?? The fully correct answer is yes but not if you reside in Alberta and buy from a private seller. Saying yes is also accurate. How do you not get that???
Look, this is fairly straightforward.

You posted a statement which is factually inaccurate and potentially misleading. It was corrected by Steve_P, who has lived here for a very great many years and knows a thing or two about life in Canada in general and Alberta in particular. You then quoted his (edited) message, acknowledging that you had made an error of fact. You then tried to claim that you had not made an error of fact, and that you were replying to Steve_P's unedited post, which was demonstrably not the case.

As with many things in Canada related to purchases and taxation, the correct answer to the question you pose is "it depends on where you live and what your circumstances are."

Let me make you an analogy...

Some garden plants that are perennials in Europe grow only as annuals in all of Canada except the bottom left hand corner of BC and Vancouver Island. So for most of Canada, it would be fair to say they are annuals. But it would be demonstrably wrong to say, without knowing more information, "this plant is not a perennial in Canada." Because it might be, and it would be misleading to say otherwise.

You are really not helping yourself in this thread by coming across so passive-aggressive. Defend your position, by all means, but it's sensible to concede a point when you're shown to be in error.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:32 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Unbelievable!! More idiots joining the slam train!!! Perhaps you should read all of my posts before making such crass comments!

I have not professed to be an expert and nor am I professing to know more about Canada than any of you. All I proffered was my own opinion about a few things and highlighted a small issue about sales tax that isn't commonplace in the uk but could provide a shock to someone emigrating to Canada as it shocked me.

And instead of people just accepting that my opinion is my opinion and that I am not stating it as fact, I get idiots like you that come along and decide to belittle my opinions based on no more than 'you don't live here, you know nothing'.

From what I know about Canadians, they are not as rude, arrogant and unwelcoming as most of the grumpy British expats that I have come across on this thread. Makes me sad to call myself British with such poor ambassadors for our country as some of you here. Again, shame on all of you!
I took great pains to read your posts, all of them and the responses and it was form these that I drew my conclusion. You seem free with your opinions, seemingly offering them as if they are fact, when you have only some research to go by and not first hand experience of the Canadian market.

Contradicting others opinions and name calling, when you cannot think of anything of substance to say is at best arrogant and hypocritical. If you take this attitude when in Canada you will not get far at all, other than the odd suggestion to return from whence you came (generally not as politely as that). You may want to rethink your approach.

With sales tax, there is sales tax in the UK it is VAT. The VAT is paid once on a new vehicle and not reimbursed to the seller on a trade in, nor is it recoverable to business on non commercial vehicles. In Canada we have GST, HST,PST or the used vehicle levy, depending on the province you shop in. Federal tax is recoverable to business as an input tax credit, provincial tax is not.

When you buy a vehicle at a dealership, you pay sales tax on the agreed price. When you sell or trade a used vehicle in to a dealer, they add sales tax to the price you get. This means you only paid the tax on the depreciation. A used car buyer only pays tax on the depreciated value when they buy the used vehicle. This works OK if you trade in a vehicle and reduces the cost of acquisition.

A private sale attracts no federal tax at all. It does attract provincial tax on the depreciated value. This was an issue with the HST debate in BC.

I would suggest you regroup before spouting forth.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 12:47 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
You are really not helping yourself in this thread by coming across so passive-aggressive.
I must have missed the passive bit.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:07 am
Forum Regular

soontobecanadianresident is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I must have missed the passive bit.
Apologies JonboyE, I'm afraid you bore the brunt of my frustration from other posts!
Old Sep 13th 2011, 1:48 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Factually inaccurate? No.
Oh, for heaven's sake. YES. Factually inaccurate. On a point of fact, you were mistaken. That means that there was a factual inaccuracy in your post - which you later acknowledged to be the case. Why argue that it wasn't?

To come back to the substance of your opinions, though, I say this: your views of the automotive marketplace in Canada seem a little out of date, to say the least. "Domestic" brands are not nearly as dire as you portray them; "foreign" brands are not necessarily by definition better; it's frequently hard to tell from the badge whether, and how much of, a car is domestic or foreign anyway; an SUV is not necessary to survive a Canadian winter, and a heavy high-sided vehicle can be a distinct disadvantage in some situations; subcompacts or microcars such as the Smart fortwo are commonplace and quite capable year-round transport in most regions; buying a larger vehicle just because you can is often a false economy and has been a decision made and regretted by many expats.

You are, of course, welcome to your opinions. I happen to disagree with most of them when it comes to cars, but that's my prerogative.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:20 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Please for the love of god just read my previous posts before commenting!!!
Not a chance. It must be quite late where you are. Go to bed and try and make up the damage you've done tomorrow.

Welcome to the forum. If not to Canada.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:24 am
Don't call me MOM!!

snowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of lightsnowcandy is a glorious beacon of light

Blimey, are you lot still going! Amusing thread on an otherwise boring Monday
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:30 am
Magnificently Withering

Originally Posted by snowcandy
Blimey, are you lot still going! Amusing thread on an otherwise boring Monday
Quite. I feel much better for a bit of lively debate. However, it's approaching the witching hour for me. I am, as those unfortunate enough to have met me in person will attest, in dire need of my beauty sleep.
Old Sep 13th 2011, 2:45 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

Perhaps worthy of note, if you trade in a used vehicle of greater value than the new vehicle you're purchasing, there's no tax to pay. I did this recently and felt smug that CRA didn't get a bite out of my purchase, and it felt nice to haggle on the sticker price and not then have a % lumped back on top of the sales invoice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.