Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Capital Streaming?

Capital Streaming?

Old Jun 2nd 2006, 10:32 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Capital Streaming?

What's with the new "licensing laws" they have put up on the Capital FM web site that states anyone outside the UK cannot listen to my favourite station anymore? I got round it by putting in my old postcode....but how do they police something like that?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:14 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Capital Streaming?

Originally Posted by dingbat
What's with the new "licensing laws" they have put up on the Capital FM web site that states anyone outside the UK cannot listen to my favourite station anymore? I got round it by putting in my old postcode....but how do they police something like that?

They can't be too serious about it if simply entering a UK postcode gets past the problem. I listen to BBC Radio 5 quite a bit online and they restrict some sporting events to UK listeners only but I haven't seen this issue for regular listening.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 1:45 am
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some bloke in a suit from a record company decided that if you broadcast over the web worldwide you have a much larger potential audience so his company should be able to charge more for the right to play the music... Some are paying the extra (the BBC - I listen to 6Music at the mo, Virgin are another) - others have decided it's not worth it.

Most stations police it by IP screening - each country has a specific block of IP numbers (the unique number your PC uses on the internet), if your number is outside the UK you will usually be blocked.

Rights to broadcast sporting events are sold on a national basis which is why the beeb have to block some sports commentaries outside the UK.

Old Jun 3rd 2006, 6:57 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

I see...thanks! I would curl up and die without Capital at work. The alternative is JR FM (still desperately trying to live down Brokeback Mountain) and Star FM which is like having a religious Terry Wogan rammed down your throat with his trusty subserviant (female, brainless) sidekick. :scared:
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:35 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

I see...thanks! I would curl up and die without Capital at work. The alternative is JR FM (still desperately trying to live down Brokeback Mountain) and Star FM which is like having a religious Terry Wogan rammed down your throat with his trusty subserviant (female, brainless) sidekick. :scared:
Beats Chris Moyles though right?
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:58 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by ziggy8080
Some bloke in a suit from a record company decided that if you broadcast over the web worldwide you have a much larger potential audience so his company should be able to charge more for the right to play the music...
It's all about money again, greedy companies always thinking of new ideas to sting whoever they can

In the UK you are lucky if you don't get a letter from your Credit Card company bi monthly saying your terms and conditions have changed....

Either your interest rate has gone up or they play around with your statement date or putting up charges for late payments, you really have to watch what they are doing, greedy b**t**ds
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:29 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Garfielduk
It's all about money again, greedy companies always thinking of new ideas to sting whoever they can

In the UK you are lucky if you don't get a letter from your Credit Card company bi monthly saying your terms and conditions have changed....

Either your interest rate has gone up or they play around with your statement date or putting up charges for late payments, you really have to watch what they are doing, greedy b**t**ds

Oh, you can claim those bank and credit card charges back btw. The OFT ruled recently that £30 a pop for going over your CC limit is an unfair penalty (who knew? ) google the 'consumer action group' and check out their banking forum. If you're anything like me with money you may be able to claim thousands back from them.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:49 am
Democracy advocate

Cape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond reputeCape Blue has a reputation beyond repute

Some bloke in a suit from a record company decided that if you broadcast over the web worldwide you have a much larger potential audience so his company should be able to charge more for the right to play the music... Some are paying the extra (the BBC - I listen to 6Music at the mo, Virgin are another) - others have decided it's not worth it.

Most stations police it by IP screening - each country has a specific block of IP numbers (the unique number your PC uses on the internet), if your number is outside the UK you will usually be blocked.

Rights to broadcast sporting events are sold on a national basis which is why the beeb have to block some sports commentaries outside the UK.
Ziggy8080 - any idea how one gets around the IP screening? Somehow I can see this becoming a greater issue with the BBC and others doing more of it in the future under pressure from the usual bleating "hard working tax payers" who don't want the content given out for free to those overseas.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:52 am
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by windward
Oh, you can claim those bank and credit card charges back btw. The OFT ruled recently that £30 a pop for going over your CC limit is an unfair penalty (who knew? ) google the 'consumer action group' and check out their banking forum. If you're anything like me with money you may be able to claim thousands back from them.
Yes I knew about that and I am currently trying to get charges back from my Argos card as they added £50+ for 3 slightly late payments over the last 9 months.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 10:17 pm
Dismember

scrubbedexpat074 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Cape Blue
Ziggy8080 - any idea how one gets around the IP screening? Somehow I can see this becoming a greater issue with the BBC and others doing more of it in the future under pressure from the usual bleating "hard working tax payers" who don't want the content given out for free to those overseas.
Check out this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362401 - I've not managed to make it work, probably not found an active server. The BBC are working on making everything they do available online globally via some sort of subscription service which I'll go for when it happens. Until then, uknova.com.
Old Jun 3rd 2006, 11:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

Purley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond reputePurley has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I tried to watch the cup final on the Internet and it said it was only available to people in the UK. But it seemed kind of strange. I mean really if it's on the Internet - it's on the Internet and how can a computer tell where the person is connected to it?

I guess that kind of technology is beyond me!
Old Jun 4th 2006, 12:47 am
BE Forum Addict

stepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond reputestepnek has a reputation beyond repute

Check out this post http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362401 - I've not managed to make it work, probably not found an active server. The BBC are working on making everything they do available online globally via some sort of subscription service which I'll go for when it happens. Until then, uknova.com.
I've tried this with very limited success. When it did work it resulted in a very slow connection and wasn't worth the effort. I'd be happy to pay a subscription to have full access to what the Beeb provides online as long as it proves to be a reasonable cost. It's frustrating to find some things not available outside of the UK although I can undersand why.

Last edited by stepnek; Jun 4th 2006 at 12:49 am.