Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canuckistan is Amercica lite: The Reality Checck(tm): Pt IV

Canuckistan is Amercica lite: The Reality Checck(tm): Pt IV

Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:03 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canuckistan is Amercica lite: The Reality Checck(tm): Pt IV

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Wow...I'm having a flashback. Good old hoib and ronhelf. I would say good old ScottW49 too but that would be immodest.
Ah. I thought you used to be Whicker.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:13 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

[deleted user] - 08:12pm Oct 27, 2000 GMT (#62 of 2059)

hoib, Canadians don't "lurk", they observe with polite interest.

err, is "raging fascism" perhaps just a touch over the top?

From further down the same thread dbd linked to. I liked that.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:14 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Ah. I thought you used to be Whicker.
I vaguely remember Whicker. Why did you think that was me?
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:24 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I vaguely remember Whicker. Why did you think that was me?
The era and the place of origin, that's all.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 5:25 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canuckistan is America lite: The Reality Checck(tm): Pt IV

Originally Posted by kt0157
What exactly is it they souviening? The Plains of Abraham?

K.
I think they have unfortunaly forgotten by now. Disparate stories circulate, but the most likely is

"Je me souviens que né sous le lys, je croîs sous la rose"

....I remember that born under the lily, I grew under the rose"

Its a sort of separatist war cry???
Old Oct 27th 2006, 8:29 am
BE Forum Addict

neill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond reputeneill has a reputation beyond repute

In the context of quebec nationality, it comes from what iaink said, and means pretty much "i must remember who i am"...

However it is also used by the French Canadian military, in the context of "I must remember"... equivalent to "Lest we forget".... I prefer the latter interpretation :-)

Originally Posted by iaink
I think they have unfortunaly forgotten by now. Disparate stories circulate, but the most likely is

Old Oct 27th 2006, 11:54 am
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by iaink

... I thought they were still pissed at losing the rest of Canada to the Anglos.
Old Oct 27th 2006, 1:03 pm
Born again atheist

Originally Posted by windward
... I thought they were still pissed at losing the rest of Canada to the Anglos.
Ha! The rest of Canada (and the rest of Quebec) is not Anglo.

Vive la difference!