Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

canmore - alberta whats it like?

canmore - alberta whats it like?

Old Jun 10th 2009, 2:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Solarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to beholdSolarfish is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: canmore - alberta whats it like?

Originally Posted by Tangram
What do you do for employment there ?
Same as I did in the UK, work from home for my Global Employer Technically I moved from the UK office to the Canadian office, but as that is in Toronto and I am home based it makes no difference. My boss is in the global head quarters in US so I have to go there about 6 weeks a year. My role is global anyway so physical location has been irrelevant for some time and I am used to spending about 30 hours a week on the phone.

My wife got a job at Sunshine Village after we moved here. It was actually a more senior position than she was looking for, but we were in the right place at the right time (before the recession) and it seemed that anyone else who had the right level of experience/qualification was living in Calgary and not willing to commute out.

There are a few business around here, like the ski hills, large hotels, councils etc that have the 'bigger' jobs and pay reasonable salaries. But unfortunately housing is so expensive that one 'reasonable' salary is probably still not enough. My wife gets paid well, but we would certainly be struggling if hers was the only income.
Old Jun 10th 2009, 4:46 am
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Solarfish
Same as I did in the UK, work from home for my Global Employer Technically I moved from the UK office to the Canadian office, but as that is in Toronto and I am home based it makes no difference. My boss is in the global head quarters in US so I have to go there about 6 weeks a year. My role is global anyway so physical location has been irrelevant for some time and I am used to spending about 30 hours a week on the phone.

My wife got a job at Sunshine Village after we moved here. It was actually a more senior position than she was looking for, but we were in the right place at the right time (before the recession) and it seemed that anyone else who had the right level of experience/qualification was living in Calgary and not willing to commute out.

There are a few business around here, like the ski hills, large hotels, councils etc that have the 'bigger' jobs and pay reasonable salaries. But unfortunately housing is so expensive that one 'reasonable' salary is probably still not enough. My wife gets paid well, but we would certainly be struggling if hers was the only income.
Solarfish

How the hell are you?

Gryph
Old Jun 10th 2009, 8:13 am
BE Forum Addict

newshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond reputenewshoney has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of helpful advice already above... I would only add that you should look at the mls.ca website and compare prices. You certainly pay a premium for homes in Canmore. (Of course you might be a kazillionaire laird selling off a castle and lucrative moors!)

Having seen gorgeous executive homes in Calgary for under CAD$1 million (exchange rate currently about $1.78) I was staggered to see Canmore condos with inferior build and finish at the same price. Silvertip and Three Sisters are not worth the inflated prices in my view and the small-town feel can be somewhat spoiled by thousands of skibums partying raucously into the wee hours.

Cochrane used to have a nice small-town feel but is now being massively developed - you might want to compare it with Okotoks, Bragg Creek or further afield like Sundre. In the end it comes down to what you want to afford in pursuit of the lifestyle you want. Good luck.