Reload this Page >

Are Canadians workaholics?

Are Canadians workaholics?

Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Chipotle will become famous soon enoughChipotle will become famous soon enough
Default Are Canadians workaholics?

Hello to all

They say UK workers are the ones who work the longest hours in Europe. What is your impression about Canadian work life so far? Are (unpaid) extended working hours common in your area of work or do most people stick to the 9to5 routine?

I hope this thread is of interest.

Chipotle
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:14 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Are Canadians workaholics?

It's more common here to work unpaid overtime unless your in a union or the government. Two week vacations are the standard- you'll be lucky if you can negotiate 3 weeks - and you have to work 1 whole year before your eligible to take them, at least here in BC. A lot has been written about this already I think. Also getting the job in the first place is a much more arduous process involving multiple interviews even for retail work in a shop.

Originally Posted by Chipotle
Hello to all

They say UK workers are the ones who work the longest hours in Europe. What is your impression about Canadian work life so far? Are (unpaid) extended working hours common in your area of work or do most people stick to the 9to5 routine?

Chipotle
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 10:24 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Hello to all

Chipotle
In our business people are usually at work from about 8 until 5, no one takes lunch. Most people do some work in the evening and on weekends. It used to be that people had to be in the office a lot of hours but now the internet and cell phones allow a great deal of mobility. Everyone has a cell phone and must always be available; we don't allow vacations in locations where the phone won't work and have fired people who refused to answer while driving. None of us is paid anything but a flat rate for hours worked; we don't, for example, have vacation pay and don't take stat hols unless they coincide with US ones.

I work on and off in the UK and with companies based there. We view the UK companies as a bit of a joke, in one case a firm there initially refused to work through Christmas on a deal we found in December; I had to speak to them quite roughly before they sent technicians to America for the Christmas and New Year period. It was as if they didn't especially want the business!
Old Mar 22nd 2006, 11:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
In our business people are usually at work from about 8 until 5, no one takes lunch. Most people do some work in the evening and on weekends. It used to be that people had to be in the office a lot of hours but now the internet and cell phones allow a great deal of mobility. Everyone has a cell phone and must always be available; we don't allow vacations in locations where the phone won't work and have fired people who refused to answer while driving. None of us is paid anything but a flat rate for hours worked; we don't, for example, have vacation pay and don't take stat hols unless they coincide with US ones.

I work on and off in the UK and with companies based there. We view the UK companies as a bit of a joke, in one case a firm there initially refused to work through Christmas on a deal we found in December; I had to speak to them quite roughly before they sent technicians to America for the Christmas and New Year period. It was as if they didn't especially want the business!
All I can say is your employees must be desperate for work if they would put up with those conditions.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:35 am
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

It totally depends on the particular company.

In the UK my hub worked his socks off. Officially 8.30 - 5 but always worked over, always worked through the 30 min lunch break, and was always tired and stressed. He felt he had to do this to get anywhere.

Here, he works 8 - 5, gets a full hour for lunch which everyone generally takes at casual staggered times. They all leave around 5pm, even the boss.
Its informal, he no longer has to go to his office job in shirt and tie. Polo shirts and casual trousers are the attire. He negotiated 3 weeks holiday, and although he isn't entitled to those holidays until he's been with the company for 10 months, they closed between Xmas and New year, so he had an extra bit of time off. Very unexpected and very appreciated.

He feels he has a much better working environment here......................So......Canadians workaholics????..................We wouldn't say so.!
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 2:56 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Hello to all

Chipotle
In Calgary people tend to start and finish earlier. I start around 7:30am and leave around 4:00pm. I always take an hour for lunch and rarely take work home either during the week or at weekends.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 3:21 am
Forum Regular

ramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really niceramac is just really nice

Glad I dont work for your Organization! :scared:
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

shelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to beholdshelly1 is a splendid one to behold

As the old saying goes "You don't know what you've got till its gone"
This is another good reason to be back in the uk
Shelly
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:09 am
pkc
Forum Regular

pkc will become famous soon enough

I work 8:30 to 4:30 (half hour lunch which everyone takes sitting around the table chatting together, and a tea break in the morning which has seen everything from a St Patrick's day quiz to a potluck breakfast - neither being the norm, but neither unheard of!) We get 3 weeks holiday immediately and, as is the case for a lot of Canadian organizations, you accumulate a certain number of holiday days every month worked. In our case, you're eligible to begin taking them immediately. Flex time is allowed and it's definitely been emphasized that people should leave on time and not do overtime. I should confess that this is a not-for-profit and I think they've decided to do all this to compensate for the lower salaries... No complaint here
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 5:34 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shelly1
As the old saying goes "You don't know what you've got till its gone"
This is another good reason to be back in the uk
Shelly
What, the fact that someone claims to work under sweatshop conditions?

Some of us have decent well-paid jobs with good conditions.

But, I'll ask the family if they would like to swap all that we have here for a life in West Yorkshire.

BTW I've lived in W Yorks so I am well qualified to expect that they would run a mile at the prospect.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:33 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

My word :scared: Can't imagine what motivates you to work for a company like that ......

J
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 7:47 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jenwren
My word :scared: Can't imagine what motivates you to work for a company like that ......

J
He doesn't work for the company......he is the company....
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:07 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Not this Canadian. I've got avoiding work down to an artform.
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:54 am
BE Enthusiast

dozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond reputedozzzzy has a reputation beyond repute

What kind of person would sack some one for not answering there cell phone while they are driving or while they are on holiday, geesh, your company really need to get the work/life balance adjusted.

What kind of business is this in, I'll make sure that I stay away from it, if this typical of the working conditions.

Dozzzzy
Old Mar 23rd 2006, 8:56 am
Curiously Wise

Jingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond reputeJingle has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by 1066
He doesn't work for the company......he is the company....
LOL ...... you may be right!!

J

Last edited by Jingle; Mar 23rd 2006 at 8:59 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.