Reload this Page >

Canadian tax returns from the UK

Canadian tax returns from the UK

Old Feb 17th 2016, 7:16 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian tax returns from the UK

Hey,

Just got a couple of questions for anyone who has filed their return before, after they got back home. I'm in the UK now, completing my return using Turbo Tax, online, and it got all the way through to the end, charged me a fee, then wouldn't let me netfile it because I had selected that I was not a resident of Canada on Dec 31st 2015. This is obviously a massive pain because I'll have to wait ages to get my refund now!

Did I do this correctly? Is it normal that you can't do the online filing after you've already returned to the UK?

If so, is there any other way to do this from the UK (in the same way as say, money mart in Canada) that'll get me my refund through faster that the months it'll probably take to get it done by post?

Thanks

Joe
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian tax returns from the UK

I've just been helping my daughter with her Canadian tax return. It's a complete pain in the ass. Unfortunately, you can't file electronically if you're a non-resident of Canada.

Eligibility

So you'll have to mail a paper tax return.

Last edited by MarylandNed; Feb 17th 2016 at 8:33 pm.
Old Feb 17th 2016, 8:59 pm
Forum Regular

JoeJK is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian tax returns from the UK

Yeah that definitely seems to be the case. It is a massive pain. I know it's a major first world problem but it's so annoying that we can't just do it online!