Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Summers!!!

Canadian Summers!!!

Old Jul 14th 2008, 1:55 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Summers!!!

After a lovely hot day today the wind has picked up a fair bit and the electric keeps flickering.

Mmmmmm thinks I - I'll just check on the weather network and see whats occuring weatherwise (wheres Souv when you need him!!!)

Holy crap - this is what was on the site for Drumheller

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED OFF THE FOOTHILLS AND ARE MOVING EASTWARD. REPORTS OF ROTATION IN THE CLOUDS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED. CONDITIONS ARE SUCH THAT TORNADOES MAY BE PRODUCED BY THESE THUNDERSTORMS. CONDITIONS ARE FAVOURABLE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE TORNADOES. THESE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL ALSO HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE VERY LARGE HAIL..FLOODING RAIN..DEADLY LIGHTNING AND POWERFUL WINDS. USE THIS TIME TO SECURE OUTDOOR PROPERTY AND TO ENSURE FAMILY MEMBERS AND CO-WORKERS ARE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD THE SEVERE WEATHER APPROACH. ENVIRONMENT CANADA CONTINUES TO MONITOR THE SITUATION CLOSELY FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT AND POSSIBLE TORNADO WARNINGS. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OR WEATHERADIO FOR FURTHER UPDATES. SHOULD SEVERE WEATHER APPROACH OR IF YOU FEEL THREATENED DO NOT WAIT FOR WARNINGS TO TAKE ACTION..TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. SHOULD YOU SPOT A FUNNEL CLOUD OR TORNADO...AND ONLY IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO...YOU CAN CALL 1-800-239-0484 TO REPORT YOUR SIGHTING. PLEASE NOTE THIS PHONE NUMBER IS FOR REPORTING SEVERE WEATHER ONLY.

Sorry for the caps but their warnings are in caps - anyhoo - if anyone needs me I shall be in the basement
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:29 am

Mrs Miggins is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Summers!!!

we have had a few of them here in the Bridge this summer - chill! (this comes from someone who nearly crapped herself at the first one lol)

Mrs M X
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Journeyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of lightJourneyman Electrician is a glorious beacon of light

Canada is a place that gets plenty of severe weather just ensure that you are prepared should you get a prolonged power outage (i.e. transistor radio, bottled water, tinned food, etc,etc......

Calgary is still under severe thunderstorm watch, you can see the storm front coming in if you look out your window.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:46 am
Happy Bunnies

Flossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond reputeFlossie and Jim has a reputation beyond repute

Got caught up in a humungus hail storm just north of Rocky Mountain House this afternoon on our way back from a trip to Jasper. Must admit we nearly cr*pped ourselves in the car. Had to pull off the road as we couldn't see a thing. Hailstones about half the size of a golf ball and we thought the windscreen was going to go.

Half hour up the road.....lovely blue sky and fluffy clouds.

By the way.....the hail was heading east.....
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mandymoochops
After a lovely hot day today the wind has picked up a fair bit and the electric keeps flickering.

Mmmmmm thinks I - I'll just check on the weather network and see whats occuring weatherwise (wheres Souv when you need him!!!)

Holy crap - this is what was on the site for Drumheller

SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED OFF THE FOOTHILLS AND ARE MOVING EASTWARD. REPORTS OF ROTATION IN THE CLOUDS HAVE BEEN RECEIVED. CONDITIONS ARE SUCH THAT TORNADOES MAY BE PRODUCED BY THESE THUNDERSTORMS. CONDITIONS ARE FAVOURABLE FOR THE DEVELOPMENT OF SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WITH THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE TORNADOES. THESE SEVERE THUNDERSTORMS WILL ALSO HAVE THE POTENTIAL TO PRODUCE VERY LARGE HAIL..FLOODING RAIN..DEADLY LIGHTNING AND POWERFUL WINDS. USE THIS TIME TO SECURE OUTDOOR PROPERTY AND TO ENSURE FAMILY MEMBERS AND CO-WORKERS ARE PREPARED TO TAKE ACTION SHOULD THE SEVERE WEATHER APPROACH. ENVIRONMENT CANADA CONTINUES TO MONITOR THE SITUATION CLOSELY FOR SEVERE THUNDERSTORM DEVELOPMENT AND POSSIBLE TORNADO WARNINGS. PLEASE CONTINUE TO MONITOR YOUR LOCAL MEDIA OR WEATHERADIO FOR FURTHER UPDATES. SHOULD SEVERE WEATHER APPROACH OR IF YOU FEEL THREATENED DO NOT WAIT FOR WARNINGS TO TAKE ACTION..TAKE SHELTER IMMEDIATELY. SHOULD YOU SPOT A FUNNEL CLOUD OR TORNADO...AND ONLY IF IT IS SAFE TO DO SO...YOU CAN CALL 1-800-239-0484 TO REPORT YOUR SIGHTING. PLEASE NOTE THIS PHONE NUMBER IS FOR REPORTING SEVERE WEATHER ONLY.

Sorry for the caps but their warnings are in caps - anyhoo - if anyone needs me I shall be in the basement
And the best of luck
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:06 am
Loving it here!

ClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to beholdClareBC is a splendid one to behold

Funny, I was talking about this today with neighbours who are orginally from NY and California. They are of the opinion that we have the perfect summer weather in Coastal BC.

IMO: About every 7 years it is crap (last year was a bit dismal - reminded me of summers in England ) and the rest of the time we have lovely warm (hot but not too hot) summers from about mid July to mid September. The first year we lived here we "caught the sun" from an early October day trip. For this kind of weather I will put up with a bit of rain!!

Clare
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:09 am
Sawdust making harpy

mandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond reputemandymoochops has a reputation beyond repute

Cheers guys! We've had a few 'storms' but this is potentially the worst i'll have faced since being here. Its just started and the thunder and lightning is getting up.

Will see what hapens - by all accounts it tends to hit "up top" as opposed to down here in the valley so we'll see.

Mr MMC moved to Rocky today and he called earlier and mentioned the hail too.

Prepared for power outage anyway. Cellphone fully charged so at least my alarm will go off in the morning!!!!!!. If that happens this latop has about an hours battery!!!
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:30 am
Happy in Canada.

Grah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond reputeGrah has a reputation beyond repute

Ellie Manitoba

25 miles as the crow flies.

so if you watch the U- 2 video you can see what Canadians do when they see an F-5 tornado.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:05 am
BE Forum Addict

destinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond reputedestinationnovascotia has a reputation beyond repute

Batten down the hatches. Best of luck. I'm sure you will be fine.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 7:37 am
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

I've always wanted to be a storm-chaser so it sounds very exciting to me (though I'm sure if I was with you I'd be pretty scared too).
Old Jul 14th 2008, 8:36 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Funny, I was talking about this today with neighbours who are orginally from NY and California. They are of the opinion that we have the perfect summer weather in Coastal BC.

IMO: About every 7 years it is crap (last year was a bit dismal - reminded me of summers in England ) and the rest of the time we have lovely warm (hot but not too hot) summers from about mid July to mid September. The first year we lived here we "caught the sun" from an early October day trip. For this kind of weather I will put up with a bit of rain!!

Clare

The summer of 10 years ago was unreal. We'd arrived to a cool wet spring and then it was constant blue skies and sunshine all the way to October. Mind you, the following winter it rained something like 80 days on the trot and was truly awful.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 2:25 pm
Sawdust making harpy

Right thats the last time I take to heart what the weather network says! Apparently a tornado hit Carbon which is not far from here but aside from that nothing.

Was hoping it would blow all the grass away so I don't have to cut it later - pah
Old Jul 14th 2008, 3:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

Was in the Stampede Grandstand last night. We didn't need the firework display - we had a great lightening show just off the city as a great backdrop to the occasion
Old Jul 14th 2008, 5:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ClareBC
Well, it is just about perfect right now, and was last week, and will be all this week if we can believe the weather forecast.
Old Jul 14th 2008, 6:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

sinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond reputesinope has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ann m
Was in the Stampede Grandstand last night. We didn't need the firework display - we had a great lightening show just off the city as a great backdrop to the occasion
I remember watching the lightning as weather fronts moved in off the Alps when I lived in Verona - awesome.