Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian, .. So?

Canadian, .. So?

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:49 am
Velouria

Default Re: Canadian, .. So?

Originally Posted by willmore
But if we didn't nag, nothing would ever get done!!!!
you remind someone more than once to do something, it's considered nagging. you don't remind, it doesnt get done! its impossible!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Velouria
you remind someone more than once to do something, it's considered nagging. you don't remind, it doesnt get done! its impossible!
Right and then the woman has to do it herself to make sure it's done properly - when will men ever understand this?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:57 am
Velouria

Right and then the woman has to do it herself to make sure it's done properly - when will men ever understand this?
LOL that and the 'where is <insert commonly used household object>?' and when you tell them where it is, they can't see it unless its jumping up and down in front of them...

omg... i sound like an old married woman! rofl!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:10 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Velouria
LOL that and the 'where is <insert commonly used household object>?' and when you tell them where it is, they can't see it unless its jumping up and down in front of them...

omg... i sound like an old married woman! rofl!
This one was explained to me in a perfectly logical way. Man (allegedly)evolved as the hunter/provider, and as such has eyes that were more finely attuned to detect movement than are female eyes, as women (allegedly) evolved to be nesters and nurturers. THEREFORE, IF IT ISNT MOVING, MEN CANNOT SEE IT. This also explains the overriding male interest in sports / car races etc on TV...we can see those, whereas if its a period costume drama the screen (and our mind) just goes blank

Can't argue with evolution...unless you are an educator in the deep south!

Addendum. Jerry Seinfeld extended this to TV remote control usage...men hunt..women nest
Old Dec 10th 2004, 2:26 am
Velouria

Originally Posted by iaink
This one was explained to me in a perfectly logical way. Man (allegedly)evolved as the hunter/provider, and as such has eyes that were more finely attuned to detect movement than are female eyes, as women (allegedly) evolved to be nesters and nurturers. THEREFORE, IF IT ISNT MOVING, MEN CANNOT SEE IT. This also explains the overriding male interest in sports / car races etc on TV...we can see those, whereas if its a period costume drama the screen (and our mind) just goes blank

Can't argue with evolution...unless you are an educator in the deep south!

Addendum. Jerry Seinfeld extended this to TV remote control usage...men hunt..women nest
riiiiiiiiiiiiiiiight! its all clear to me now! that would explain a lot actually!

Old Dec 10th 2004, 6:58 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Ah, my new best friend - a person that can appreciate Botanical Beach - my favourite place in the entire world.
One of my favourite places too.

Another great idea is to go down to the beach and watch the waves during one of the wind/rain storms.
Yeah, I love doing that. I nearly got blown off the breakwater during a particularily fierce storm (and moment of youthful careless abandon). I stick to the shore now but I love getting completely drenched by the waves and then wandering home to a hot shower and hot chocolate.

To be able to see really fascinating tidal pools, you really need to be on the west coast, where there is the constant pounding of the powerful waves during high tide.
Yeah, it's fantastic out there.

Sometimes we can see blue heron along the beach going towards Clover Point, as you go past Ross Bay Cemetry early in the morning, and also the owls are very friendly and hang out there.
Ross Bay Cemetery is one of my favourite places in Victoria. I've spent so much time there - I'll have to go early in the morning and see if I can spot any owls. I've never seen them there. Is there a particular area of the cemetery where you see them?

Would have been great to meet up with you (seriously), but we are on our way to Ontario for 3 weeks. Hope you and your family have a wonderful holiday season.
Well perhaps next time I'm in Victoria - I come and go every so often. I hope you have as good of a time one can have away from paradise.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:10 am

Originally Posted by Rhodes
So it's some sort of bizarre 'politically correct' expression, is it? Where will this lunacy stop?
Bizarre? Hardly! It's a pretty standard greeting in Canada given that Christmas (as a Christian holiday) is irrelevant to a large portion of the population.

Of course you could be just trying to pester Willmore...
Old Dec 10th 2004, 7:23 am
Cheese & Onion Member

Crispie will become famous soon enoughCrispie will become famous soon enough

How do you know what a feminist wants? I'm a feminist and I love to have my husband still open the door to places for me, draw a bath, and many other things. Not everything is black and white.
Why do you like your man to draw a bath?
Once I drew a picture of a rose for my lady and she became my wife....but I don't think a bath would have had anything like the same impression!
Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:05 am
the-smiths

Has this been the case with all the men you've been with ( if you have ), or just the one you are married to? Surely you as a scientis ( if you are one ), should know it's wrong to generalize, without carrying out a research with specimens?

Am begining to wonder......

Old Dec 10th 2004, 12:42 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Has this been the case with all the men you've been with ( if you have ), or just the one you are married to? Surely you as a scientis ( if you are one ), should know it's wrong to generalize, without carrying out a research with specimens?

Am begining to wonder......
And I'm wondering why you're asking such a personal question?
Old Dec 10th 2004, 4:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

[QUOTE=hot wasabi peas]One of my favourite places too.

We have been semi-seriously considering moving somewhere on the west coast, unfortunately, we really need to be close to Victoria. But perhaps one day when the kids are finished university and if we have any money left and property is a reasonable price. There are days when I would just love to take my tent and sleeping bag and just hibernate at Botanical Beach - although high tide might cause a little bit of a problem...

Yeah, I love doing that. I nearly got blown off the breakwater during a particularily fierce storm (and moment of youthful careless abandon). I stick to the shore now but I love getting completely drenched by the waves and then wandering home to a hot shower and hot chocolate.

We've done that as well with the kids, now we have to bribe them to come with us with hot chocolate with whipping cream. Nothing finer than getting soaked with freezing cold salt water.

When I go running I usually go through the Dallas Road side.Walk really quietly towards the middle of the cemetary. Some mornings I can get within a couple of feet. A few times they will continue to sit on the tree brannch and just watch you watching them. When you can get that close, you realized how beautiful they really are.

As well, if you go early in the morning or late in the evening you can see the blue heron along the beach across from RBC.

Have a great holiday season with your family in paradise.
Old Dec 10th 2004, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Bizarre? Hardly! It's a pretty standard greeting in Canada given that Christmas (as a Christian holiday) is irrelevant to a large portion of the population.

Of course you could be just trying to pester Willmore...
Pester Willmore are his new middle names...(although I would substitute the word pester for annoy).......
Old Dec 11th 2004, 9:13 am

We have been semi-seriously considering moving somewhere on the west coast, unfortunately, we really need to be close to Victoria. But perhaps one day when the kids are finished university and if we have any money left and property is a reasonable price. There are days when I would just love to take my tent and sleeping bag and just hibernate at Botanical Beach - although high tide might cause a little bit of a problem...
Hey, I've similar plans (west coast or a gulf island) ... maybe we'll end up as neighbours

Nothing finer than getting soaked with freezing cold salt water.
Agreed!

When I go running I usually go through the Dallas Road side.Walk really quietly towards the middle of the cemetary. Some mornings I can get within a couple of feet. A few times they will continue to sit on the tree brannch and just watch you watching them. When you can get that close, you realized how beautiful they really are.
Ok! That's definately on my 'to do' list. I'll take my camera. Fingers crossed. Thanks for that suggestion!