Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian, .. So?

Canadian, .. So?

Old Dec 6th 2004, 6:59 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road
Default Canadian, .. So?

Did anybody see the 'Canadian, .... So?' two-part documentary on CBC last week (Wed/Thu nights, I think)? Was it not the most sickening exercise in self-congratulation and 'patting one's self on the back' that you've ever seen? A veritable 'love-in' for self-flattering blowhards!

Personally, after 29 years here it's my firm belief that Canadians are no more gentle/nice/quiet than anywhere else in the world. Where on earth did this myth start? Wishful thinking, I'd say.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 7:08 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian, .. So?

Didnt see it, but after just 7 years here I can hardly remember what the UK was like anymore, but I do remember being favourably impressed with canadian behaviour relative to the UK in the first few years after I landed.

Maybe after 29 years here its time for you to spend a few months in the UK to remind you just how good we really do have it in Canada?

I suspect that as far as this myth goes, there is no smoke without fire, but of course not all canadians are peace loving tree huggers in the same way not all Englishmen are football hooligans.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 7:39 pm
the-smiths

Caught the second part, but not the first part. If the road rage thread on here last week is anything to go by, amongst other issues going on in the country at the moment, then it just goes to prove some of that myth wrong.

Don't get me wrong here, we all meet some wonderful canucks in our everyday lives, but some just go beyond proving that myth wrong, but hey....I will take that road rage abuse anyday, than have some CHAVS attack my family.

Originally Posted by Pearly_Spencer
Personally, after 29 years here it's my firm belief that Canadians are no more gentle/nice/quiet than anywhere else in the world. Where on earth did this myth start? Wishful thinking, I'd say.

Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:40 pm
mañana is my busiest day

oceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to beholdoceanMDX is a splendid one to behold

Here in this tourist town (mostly Americans and Canadians) in Mexico, many of the locals would disagree with you. The Mexicans I know, think the Canadians are a much quieter and modest bunch - at least compared to the Americans.
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:41 pm
Forum Regular

Pearly_Spencer is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Canadian, .. So?

Originally Posted by the-smiths
Don't get me wrong here, we all meet some wonderful canucks in our everyday lives, but some just go beyond proving that myth wrong, but hey....I will take that road rage abuse anyday, than have some CHAVS attack my family.
We've got more than enough chavs and spides out here in Alberta ... could always export a few back East!!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 9:48 pm
Once bemused

Rhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really niceRhodes is just really nice

What are spides? And do you use the expression chav over there?

We've got more than enough chavs and spides out here in Alberta ... could always export a few back East!!
Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:20 pm
the-smiths

You are a very funny individual, we have enough on our plate here in Ontario ! Keep your spides and chavs eh........LOL

Old Dec 6th 2004, 10:37 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Did anybody see the 'Canadian, .... So?' two-part documentary on CBC last week (Wed/Thu nights, I think)? Was it not the most sickening exercise in self-congratulation and 'patting one's self on the back' that you've ever seen? A veritable 'love-in' for self-flattering blowhards!

Well, with all due respect to you, why do you stay if you dislike Canada so much? Perhaps there are greener pastures elsewhere where you might be happier?

And please don't pull the prejudice against immigrants line with me - I'm the product of immigrant parents. It's just a question.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

Did anybody see the 'Canadian, .... So?' two-part documentary on CBC last week (Wed/Thu nights, I think)? !

After seeing the program you may have have missed some key points such as.

1) The terrain and climate demand a collaborative relationship by the inhabitants simply for survival . (This is more evident in small towns where you can always rely on your neighbour to look after you and if any family has a misfortute there's usuallly some local support.)

2) As a result Canadians have a more collabarative than competitive philosophy.

3) Any country that has enabled the French and the English to coexist for a couple of centuries must have something going for it eh!
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:40 am

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe Canadians you've met, just don't like you.
Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:41 pm
Velouria

Originally Posted by willmore
Well, with all due respect to you, why do you stay if you dislike Canada so much? Perhaps there are greener pastures elsewhere where you might be happier?

And please don't pull the prejudice against immigrants line with me - I'm the product of immigrant parents. It's just a question.
here here!

is the grass greener tho?... every country has their fair share of idiots and morons, its just a matter of degrees.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:46 pm
the-smiths

What like BA's, BSc's, Masters, MBA's, and Phd's?........LOL

Originally Posted by Velouria
here here!

is the grass greener tho?... every country has their fair share of idiots and morons, its just a matter of degrees.

Old Dec 7th 2004, 6:47 pm
Velouria

LMAO

i knew a few people who could have easily had Phd's!

Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:19 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Just watch it now......
Old Dec 7th 2004, 7:35 pm
the-smiths

Those are degrees aren't they? Oh.....I left out BEng, MSc, MBBS, LLB et al.....LOL

Originally Posted by willmore
Just watch it now......

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.