Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Old May 18th 2009, 10:48 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian resale housing market continues to recover in April

Originally Posted by Alan2005
You are thinking of wage inflation - this isn't the same as price inflation.
I am aware of the difference. If I was thinking of wage inflation I would have said so.

Wage inflation will reduce the proportion of my wages that are needed to pay off the mortgage. Price inflation will reduce the value of my mortgage relative to everything else.
Old May 18th 2009, 10:55 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
A good one I was told the other day,
as to find out when the housing market was bottoming is to watch the current gas prices at the pumps, if they are slowly creeping up it means people are spending and the oil companies think they can get away with more as the economy is improving.
An interesting theory I will be watching this year.
I like talking with long term vancouverites, who have seen it all happen before,they have great stories
like the see saw effect of east - west canadian economy.
if it's bad in the east it's better in the west.. & vise versa

Often wonder if it was the $4 gas price last year that killed the economy and not the negative equity.
cheers
Jerry
What a load of tosh.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:39 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am aware of the difference. If I was thinking of wage inflation I would have said so.

Wage inflation will reduce the proportion of my wages that are needed to pay off the mortgage. Price inflation will reduce the value of my mortgage relative to everything else.
Which will be cold comfort if your wages haven't increased. It's wage inflation that erodes debt, not price inflation, that just makes you poorer.

Price inflation (or monetary inflation) will, however, reduce the value of your house - in fact this is normally what happens. People often get confused between nominal and real house prices.

Last edited by Alan2005; May 19th 2009 at 12:45 am.
Old May 19th 2009, 12:48 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Melmouth
Thought there will undoubtedly be fluctuations in its price it doesn't reassure me because I don't think governments would not allow that much value to land in the hands of those who have hoarded it... they have a habit of confiscating it when feeling worried, or broke.

These are unsettled times. I'd think in terms of basic necessities.
Haha - I tell my friends that stocking up on baked beans, tuna, whisky, cigarettes is the way to go. However, the missus says i've been hanging out on the wrong websites.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:03 am
Just Joined

Melmouth is an unknown quantity at this point

Haha - I tell my friends that stocking up on baked beans, tuna, whisky, cigarettes is the way to go. However, the missus says i've been hanging out on the wrong websites.
Ha ha ha... I'm more in favour of investing in farms than bunkers. But beans is a resourceful start!
Old May 19th 2009, 1:18 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
I dont say it was an indicator that the market has bottomed, I dont have crystal ball and I am not prepared to say with any certainty what will happen tomorrow.

Very dependent on your market and (in a lot of cases) how lucky you have been. At the moment 75-80% of FB that I come across are prepared (at least partially) to buy because their mortgage payments would be lower than they are currently paying in rent.

What has concerned me MOST this week is the current promotion by ATB where they are offering cashback mortgages (upto 25k back which you can use for the down payment) at just shy of 6%. Assuming you can qualify on income this raises your budget for a home by UPTO half a million. Now THAT is INSANE
Oh my God . you're a Realtor ?
Old May 19th 2009, 1:44 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Which will be cold comfort if your wages haven't increased. It's wage inflation that erodes debt, not price inflation, that just makes you poorer.

Price inflation (or monetary inflation) will, however, reduce the value of your house - in fact this is normally what happens. People often get confused between nominal and real house prices.

Wage inflation increases your ability to service debt as the debt, and its payments, remains constant - all other things being equal.

Price inflation reduces the relative value of your debt. The dollar value of your debt remains constant while the dollar value of your non-cash assets increases.

It is not that hard to understand is it? (See - I can be patronizing too. )

Last edited by JonboyE; May 19th 2009 at 2:09 am.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:07 am
Binned by Muderators

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What a load of tosh.
I am probably going to regret this because I suspect Novo knows a lot more about the oil business than I do, but still ...

The wholesale proce of oil has increased by almost 50% in the last few months. This suggests that the markets think global economic activity is on the up rather than down. I am not convinced that the wholesale price of oil has that much influence on the retail price of gas. However, if you do, then an increase in the retail price of gas does reflect a view than the global economy is ready to recover.

My opinion is that the retail price of gas is a consumer pricing issue: it is set at the lower of what the market will bear, or what maximizes the industry's profits. While some of the demand for gas is price inelastic, some is highly elastic. Prices are pushed upwards until the volume of sales decline. The fact that the price has gone up over 25% in the last few months suggests that people still have disposable income and sufficient confidence in the future to spend it. This confidence can spread to the housing market.

Not exactly scientific proof, I agree, but I don't think jerry's comments are complete tosh.
Old May 19th 2009, 2:14 am

Wage inflation increases your ability to service debt as the debt and its payments, remains constant - all other things being equal.

Price inflation reduces the relative value of your debt. The dollar value of your debt remains constant while the dollar value of your non-cash assets increases.

It is not that hard to understand is it? (See - I can be patronizing too. )
Price inflation does not reduce the relative value of your debt. If you are spending 30% of your income servicing your debt, then without wage inflation you will always be spending 30%. Price inflation without wage inflation just makes you poor as you spend more of your income on day-to-day living, which makes your debt harder to pay, not easier.

I guess we are arguing the same thing, you are comparing your debt against the value of your asset that you purchased it with*, and i'm comparing it against incomes. This is probably due to my expectation of inflation being in items that are NOT bought with leverage (i.e. your groceries) - items bought using credit are going to continue to deflate (at least imo)
Old May 19th 2009, 2:16 am

I am probably going to regret this because I suspect Novo knows a lot more about the oil business than I do, but still ...

The wholesale proce of oil has increased by almost 50% in the last few months. This suggests that the markets think global economic activity is on the up rather than down. I am not convinced that the wholesale price of oil has that much influence on the retail price of gas. However, if you do, then an increase in the retail price of gas does reflect a view than the global economy is ready to recover.

My opinion is that the retail price of gas is a consumer pricing issue: it is set at the lower of what the market will bear, or what maximizes the industry's profits. While some of the demand for gas is price inelastic, some is highly elastic. Prices are pushed upwards until the volume of sales decline. The fact that the price has gone up over 25% in the last few months suggests that people still have disposable income and sufficient confidence in the future to spend it. This confidence can spread to the housing market.

Not exactly scientific proof, I agree, but I don't think jerry's comments are complete tosh.
There are those that think the current price is due to some QE liquidity soaking it up. Anyway - I always thought that the margins at gas stations were very low due to the high level of competition in that market - can't remember where I heard this tho.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:16 am
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
Actually Tangram I am NOT a realtor, I spend my working day dreading seeing Realtors. Realtors can cost me upto $8000 on a deal and will cost me a minimum of $4000.
Old May 19th 2009, 5:23 am
9 months, start to finish

gibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond reputegibsonslanding has a reputation beyond repute

i know that i'm going to regret this statement too, as no doubt novocastration will be along to shout me back into my box but hell, i like to live on the edge......

seasonal peak! that's all it is, a seasonal peak!!!!!! plus little housing stock available versus buyers.......

i'm heading for the box now........
Old May 19th 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
What a load of tosh.
Hi
to each his own opinion.

but the guy who told me earns more in a year, than i probably will in my life.

cheers
Jerry
Old May 19th 2009, 10:49 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Actually Tangram I am NOT a realtor, I spend my working day dreading seeing Realtors. Realtors can cost me upto $8000 on a deal and will cost me a minimum of $4000.
Oh thank God.... I can sleep again.
Old May 19th 2009, 1:12 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Oh thank God.... I can sleep again.

Wall.

Head.

BANG .. . .

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.