Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian property overvalued?

Wikiposts

Canadian property overvalued?

Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:45 am
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian property overvalued?

Originally Posted by FlyingDutchman6666
I ran a little comparison of rents vs. mortgages in my area, Mississauga.

Looked on mls.ca for semi-detached 3 bedroom houses north of Streetsville.

Most asking prices are around $500k-$550k. A 25-year mortgage @ 4.5% fixed is then just over $3000/month. Add the property taxes on top - an additional few hundred a month?

Equivalent properties in that area can be rented for $1800-$2000 per month. No property tax payable.

So is property overvalued?
But interest rates are nowhere near 4.5% right now...
Old Apr 26th 2012, 5:49 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

I ran a little comparison of rents vs. mortgages in my area, Mississauga.

Looked on mls.ca for semi-detached 3 bedroom houses north of Streetsville.

Most asking prices are around $500k-$550k. A 25-year mortgage @ 4.5% fixed is then just over $3000/month. Add the property taxes on top - an additional few hundred a month?

Equivalent properties in that area can be rented for $1800-$2000 per month. No property tax payable.

So is property overvalued?
Yes.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:14 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jericho
But interest rates are nowhere near 4.5% right now...
Do people really believe that these low fairy-tale interest rates will continue? The banks certainly don't seem to: 5-year fixed mortgages are currently around the 4.5% mark.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:19 am
Banned

fletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud offletcher m has much to be proud of

Do people really believe that these low fairy-tale interest rates will continue? The banks certainly don't seem to: 5-year fixed mortgages are currently around the 4.5% mark.
No. Brief and to the point!
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:25 am
BE Enthusiast

FlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond reputeFlyingDutchman6666 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
No. Brief and to the point!
It's such a pity that there's no investment vehicle that will make money when house prices go down, and lose when they go up. Or is there...?
Old Apr 26th 2012, 6:38 am
Banned

It's such a pity that there's no investment vehicle that will make money when house prices go down, and lose when they go up. Or is there...?
Buying repo's to let in canada. A whole batch will be along very soon.......far too much doom and gloom for one night, it must be the rain that has not stopped falling for the past 36 hours.

Last edited by fletcher m; Apr 26th 2012 at 6:46 am.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 9:32 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fletcher m
it must be the rain that has not stopped falling for the past 36 hours.
Get used to it
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:22 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MikeUK
a fast DSL line is still cheaper than office furntiure and heating
You'd be a muppet not to ask for a raise to cover your home heating/electricity/phone bill.

I've had this discussion here in Calgary, because I cannot for the life of me understand the point to the Bow Tower.

There's this municipal plan to increase building density around the LRT stations which to my mind is mad because it assumes everyone will continue to commute downtown. I don't think they will. I think the future is bigger houses with home offices in them.

All of these people talking about the death of the suburbs and McMansions are wrong, at least in the long-term.

And still I cannot get a straight answer out of the CRA about whether if you claim home office expenses (for example, part of your mortgage based on percentage of the area) whether that portion of your home then becomes subject to capital gains tax.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:26 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R I C H
I purchased a Sony TV 18 months ago for my games room, it expired last week, out of warranty. It's not economic to repair, so I have to just write off $500.
I bought a top-of-the-line XBR and it went kaput (literally) after four years.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:29 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Whenever this subject comes up I mention the immigration laws - skilled worker is tougher now, the number of visas for family reunification went down, the IIP is completely oversubscribed. This year you will see a dip in the number of immigrants granted PR status because of the changes in 2008 and then in 2010.

I doubt that will have much impact in Calgary on property prices but I think in Vancouver it will and probably Toronto.

One of the reasons the property market in the SW US is in such bad shape was because it was being driven in part by immigrants, not just stupid loans.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:30 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_
And still I cannot get a straight answer out of the CRA about whether if you claim home office expenses (for example, part of your mortgage based on percentage of the area) whether that portion of your home then becomes subject to capital gains tax.
If the use of your home as a home office (or any other income generating activity) is incidental to its use as a residence then the part that is used as an office is not subject to CGT. See paragraph 32 http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it...tml#P200_51963.

Note that an employee can only claim a part of power and heating and some repairs. A self-employed person can also claim mortgage interest, property tax, and house insurance.
Old Apr 26th 2012, 11:40 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

(a) the income-producing use is ancillary to the main use of the property as a residence,
But what does that mean exactly? This is the question I can never get an answer to. It's especially tricky if you're using a corporation because the corporate address is a house. "Ancillary" is really vague.

I've seen it in the capital gains tax guide.

In these and similar cases, the taxpayer reports the income and may claim the expenses (other than CCA) pertaining to the portion of the property used for income-producing purposes.
Which is another really vague point. The portion of the property. What is that, because does your kitchen count partially as a breakroom? And what about if you happen to work occasionally in the living room using your laptop, or have to fix your car in your garage before going to a meeting?

So how do you divvy up for example your natural gas bill, because if you weren't there, obviously you would be using less gas, but presumably you're heating the whole house rather than just a portion of it so how much of the gas bill can you claim?

I've had it expressed to me on the basis of a business licence as well, i.e. if you are working from home and the locality you're in doesn't consider that to require a business licence, then you're okay in regards to things like CGT, but the requirements for a business licence vary widely from locality to locality.

It is truly vague.

Have a read of this as well: http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pub/tp/it514/it514-e.pdf

"Regular and continuous basis" - has to be used exclusively for earning business income - how many home businesses can say that about their office?

And if you're using it exclusively, doesn't that mean it is no longer ancillary?

a work space in respect of a business which normally requires infrequent meetings or frequent meetings at irregular intervals would not meet the
requirement
So that rules out telecommuters almost entirely, but then again, what is a "meeting" exactly, does that mean in person?

And so anyway now you see why the CRA and I are confused...

Last edited by Steve_; Apr 26th 2012 at 11:53 am.
Old Apr 28th 2012, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Yes of course. As soon as interest rates make the re-payments unaffordable and people start to default.

We're talking about this as if it's never happened before. It's just happened in the US (admittedly not due to interest rates per se, but people defaulted and left their homes).
Yes it will happen. When? Who knows, but it will.
Not long ago, you could get 125% mortgages in the UK too.... and the predominant bank had to be bought out by the Government.

You can get them here too- they just call it a line of credit, but it's basically the same thing.
You cannot get a home equity line of credit (secured on the property) for more than 80% of the equity you have in the home....based on the bank appraised value, less any outstanding mortgage.

And unsecured line of credit is an entirely different borrowing aspect.

Canada is an vast beast.....and so is the housing market...but some of the comments on this thread are just plain wrong....with regard to Canadian banks...my 2%.