Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Pension Plan

Canadian Pension Plan

Old Jan 28th 2014, 2:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Pension Plan

As we're venturing into the wonderful world of Canadian taxes for the first time, and we're self employed, I've discovered the CPP, which is about to take 9.9% of our earnings. I'm figuring this works like NI, giving us a 'state pension' at some point (hopefully). However our earnings this year are very low, and I'm wondering if like NI there is a low earnings exemption, or if everyone just pays it all the time?
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:05 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Pension Plan

Exemption is $3,500.

As self employed you pay the full 9.9% up to max contribution of $4,851
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

izzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond reputeizzi81 has a reputation beyond repute

Great, thanks!
Old Jan 28th 2014, 3:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

montreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond reputemontreal mike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by izzi81
As we're venturing into the wonderful world of Canadian taxes for the first time, and we're self employed, I've discovered the CPP, which is about to take 9.9% of our earnings. I'm figuring this works like NI, giving us a 'state pension' at some point (hopefully). However our earnings this year are very low, and I'm wondering if like NI there is a low earnings exemption, or if everyone just pays it all the time?
the premiums are tax deductible

plus in your old age the monthly payment from the govt will come in handy
Old Jan 28th 2014, 4:45 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You can actually avoid some or all CPP if you're self-employed, using a couple of techniques, one of which is rather tricky. The most common method though is to have a corporation and pay out everything as a dividend, therefore no CPP - but dividends are not counted as an expense in the way a salary is so that means you're just paying corporation tax instead.

Strangely I've encountered people who do it though, mainly because they seem to be scared of doing payroll which I think is a bit silly, it's not that hard. There was until recently a very slight tax advantage to doing it because of the way the dividend tax credit worked but the budget last year changed the formula of the tax credit to eliminate it. (And frankly it was a bit pointless, when I calculated it, it only seemed to make sense on pretty low incomes and you only saved a teeny bit of tax - CPP would eventually pay out way more).

Anyway, just look at the payroll tables on the CRA website to calculate it, there is this tendency to use software for everything but really with small businesses a piece of paper and a calculator often works better.

Even on the CRA website they keep trying to force you into using their "PDOC": http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/tx/bsnss/tp.../tbls-eng.html

It's really not that hard.... just look up your pay in the payroll table... once you plough through all the stuff that is supposed to make your life easier and doesn't.