British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   Canada (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/)
-   -   Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone (https://britishexpats.com/forum/canada-56/canadian-pay-you-go-uk-phone-679773/)

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 5:40 pm

Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
I know my uk mobile is unlocked. Are individual pay as you go SIM cards available for purchase in Canada that I could use in my existing 'phone for the week we'll be there "landing" to activate our newly acquired Permanent Resident status. It would be useful for liaising with schools, realtors, storage firms etc. We only have 1 week to cram as much in as we can before returning to wrap up the UK side of things.

Many thanks

Conal

iaink Aug 4th 2010 5:44 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
Only Rogers and their subsidiaries offer SIM card technology in Canada. Its usually more cost effective for occasional users to just get a cheap and cheerful PAYG phone from Virigin or Koodoo or whoever is cheapest this month.

Paul_Shepherd Aug 4th 2010 5:48 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752724)
I know my uk mobile is unlocked. Are individual pay as you go SIM cards available for purchase in Canada that I could use in my existing 'phone for the week we'll be there "landing" to activate our newly acquired Permanent Resident status. It would be useful for liaising with schools, realtors, storage firms etc. We only have 1 week to cram as much in as we can before returning to wrap up the UK side of things.

Many thanks

Conal

Yes, I know Rogers offers a pay as you go SIM card, however these are VERY expensive, but will work in your UK phone, and are good if you are just setting up your new Canadian life and want a Canadian cell phone contact, I did this initially.

However was just way too expensive when I came to use it, so now I have a month to month contract with Fido, but still kept my initial number. I still use my old unlocked O2 phone and ive been here for 14 months now, its still a more advanced phone than what many of Canadian cell phone companies are offering on contract....you have to really pay through the nose if you want something decent.

Paul

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 5:53 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by Paul_Shepherd (Post 8752742)
Yes, I know Rogers offers a pay as you go SIM card, however these are VERY expensive, but will work in your UK phone, and are good if you are just setting up your new Canadian life and want a Canadian cell phone contact, I did this initially.

However was just way too expensive when I came to use it, so now I have a month to month contract with Fido, but still kept my initial number. I still use my old unlocked O2 phone and ive been here for 14 months now, its still a more advanced phone than what many of Canadian cell phone companies are offering on contract....you have to really pay through the nose if you want something decent.

Paul

Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.

jericho Aug 4th 2010 5:57 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752750)
Thanks for the replies. Does anybody have a rough idea what "expensive" means in dollar terms? When we land for good we'll sort out proper contracts for work purposes, but on this occasion it will only be for 1 week.

You'll have to pay a registration fee just to get the SIM. When I did it, I think it was $50.

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 6:03 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
get fido..cost nothing for the sim..then rates start at $10 a month on PAYG..calls cost around 20c a min incoming and outgoing...works in any unlocked UK phone..no set up fees either.

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 6:06 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 8752773)
get fido..cost nothing for the sim..then rates start at $10 a month on PAYG..calls cost around 20c a min incoming and outgoing...works in any unlocked UK phone..no set up fees either.

With Fido, do you have to sign up for a certain period of time? Also, does anybody know what the coverage might be like in southern Vancouver Island?

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 6:10 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752783)
With Fido, do you have to sign up for a certain period of time? Also, does anybody know what the coverage might be like in southern Vancouver Island?

You dont have to commit to any time..they just require you top up every month to keep the number open..vancouver will be covered by fido

iaink Aug 4th 2010 6:11 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
http://www.comparecellular.com/fido-...MapRegionID=23

Fido is a Rogers subsidiary.

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 6:20 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey (Post 8752790)
You dont have to commit to any time..they just require you top up every month to keep the number open..vancouver will be covered by fido

Where could I buy a Fido SIM card? Do they have a chain of shops like, say, O2 in the UK? Also, can I buy a SIM with for example CAN$20 for just that, $20? I don't mind if I subsequently loose the number as this is literally a 1 week exercise.

Thanks everyone

Conal

fledermaus Aug 4th 2010 6:23 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752724)
I know my uk mobile is unlocked. Are individual pay as you go SIM cards available for purchase in Canada that I could use in my existing 'phone for the week we'll be there "landing" to activate our newly acquired Permanent Resident status. It would be useful for liaising with schools, realtors, storage firms etc. We only have 1 week to cram as much in as we can before returning to wrap up the UK side of things.

Many thanks

Conal

We used and are still using a UK phone with a Rogers pay as you go. We don't use it very much though and usually for text messages. It also won't send or receive photos, email, and there was something odd about international texts receiving or sending. I can't remember which way.

We wondered if it would even be cheaper just to carry on using the Tesco Pay As You Go = for the amount we use

I think you can rent cellphones from places at the airport

cheeky_monkey Aug 4th 2010 6:25 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike (Post 8752817)
Where could I buy a Fido SIM card? Do they have a chain of shops like, say, O2 in the UK? Also, can I buy a SIM with for example CAN$20 for just that, $20? I don't mind if I subsequently loose the number as this is literally a 1 week exercise.

Thanks everyone

Conal

You can find a fido shop/booth at any mall and electronic shops like future shop best buy etc and also can get them at wall mart

alexisatk Aug 4th 2010 6:36 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
Rogers Sim Cards now cost $10. I just got one a month and a half ago.

johngrimes Aug 4th 2010 6:37 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 
Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!

rivingtonpike Aug 4th 2010 6:40 pm

Re: Canadian pay as you go in a UK 'phone
 

Originally Posted by johngrimes (Post 8752841)
Bring some headache tablets when you try and sort it out!! It ain't like the UK!

When we did a 3 month recce last year we just bought cheap Rogers PAYG 'phones. They have subsequently been trashed by the kids so I think the $10 Rogers SIM card is the answer. I presume any outstanding credit is lost at the end of the month? (not that this will matter in this instance)


All times are GMT. The time now is 2:46 pm.

Powered by vBulletin: ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.