Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Passports getting a makeover

Wikiposts

Canadian Passports getting a makeover

Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Passports getting a makeover

Thought this might be of interest to those of you who can apply for your Canadian passport soon.

http://www.cbc.ca/technology/story/2...passports.html

I know my OH will be glad that he will be able to get a 10 year passport by the time he needs to renew.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 5:27 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Passports getting a makeover

Cheers, I filled out the survey here, that the CBC didnt seem to have a link to:
http://www.passportcanada.gc.ca/consultations

Surely if the government is mandating these security changes, then they should pick up at least some of the tab rather than passing the cost on to the traveler all the time.

So much of the "security" implemented in the last few years looks like stuff designed to make people feel secure, rather than actually catch bad guys to me. The more our civil liberties are infringed and the general public inconvenienced, and costs of travel increased, the more it seems to me that the terrorists are able to win without having to lift a finger....

But yes, a ten year passport would be great.

Last edited by iaink; Apr 7th 2010 at 6:33 am.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:00 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Surely is the government is mandating these security changes, then they should pick up at least some of the tab rather than passing the cost on to the traveler all the time.
So you are saying that all taxpayers should pay for it rather than just those that travel? I will never understand the thinking of those out east
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:04 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
So you are saying that all taxpayers should pay for it rather than just those that travel? I will never understand the thinking of those out east
Thats exactly what Im saying... I feel safe enough traveling as it is and dont want any extra security measures or further intrusions on my civil liberties for the sake of the tiny minuscule chance something might happen, so if "they" want it, then they should pay for it. Like thats gonna happen.

Keep people scared by upping the security levels all the time and the proles wont think about what the government is doing will they
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:18 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Thats exactly what Im saying... I feel safe enough traveling as it is and dont want any extra security measures or further intrusions on my civil liberties for the sake of the tiny minuscule chance something might happen, so if "they" want it, then they should pay for it. Like thats gonna happen.

Keep people scared by upping the security levels all the time and the proles wont think about what the government is doing will they
I agree with AC. There is no "they" with government spending - it's all our money. It's unfair to ask people who can't afford to travel to subsidise those that can.

(though I completely agree with your 2nd point too)
Old Apr 7th 2010, 6:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

I thought the chip simply contained the same information that is found in the non chipped passport, but is more difficult to forge. I don't understand the "intrusion on my civil liberties" bit, but I accept I may be wrong. In Alberta, driving licences state one's height and weight, no one particularly complains about that, but put one's name, date and place of birth, picture and gender on a chip (such info is already on a current passport) and everyone cries civil liberties.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 12:11 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Most western countries already have e-passports because the USA mandated it for the visa waiver program. It's surprising Canada has managed to resist USA pressure for so long.
Old Apr 7th 2010, 2:20 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JAJ
Most western countries already have e-passports because the USA mandated it for the visa waiver program. It's surprising Canada has managed to resist USA pressure for so long.
It has been under trial for about three years with diplomatic and special passports. The original mandate was to introduce it generally by 2011.