Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian passport for a newborn

Canadian passport for a newborn

Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:05 am
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian passport for a newborn

Hi

Originally Posted by BritInParis
Consular fees pay for consular services not taxpayers.

They don't even come close to paying for citizenship/immigration applications.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:11 am
Soulless bureaucrat

Lemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond reputeLemonfish has a reputation beyond repute

Pay close attention to the photo requirements for the newborn in the passport.

When we had ours done two years ago for our daughter, there was a requirement that there was no visible support for the baby's head in the photo, despite the fact that at only a few weeks old our daughter could not support hers by herself! You have to find a way of hiding the fact the head is being supported by your hand.

We are in Canada, so photographers here were used to this nonsense; if you are in the UK and getting a photo done, they may not be. I know several people here who had baby photos in the passport application rejected and had to resubmit.

Hope helps

LF (a federal government bureaucrat)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lemonfish

When we had ours done two years ago for our daughter, there was a requirement that there was no visible support for the baby's head in the photo, despite the fact that at only a few weeks old our daughter could not support hers by herself! You have to find a way of hiding the fact the head is being supported by your hand.

We are in Canada, so photographers here were used to this nonsense; if you are in the UK and getting a photo done, they may not be. I know several people here who had baby photos in the passport application rejected and had to resubmit.

Hope helps

Times have changed. One of my children went for five years using the yellow filtered, day of birth, picture in her passport. (She's a federal bureaucrat now and, I suppose, has the proper documentation, in triplicate, always at hand).
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:29 am

BritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond reputeBritInParis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

They don't even come close to paying for citizenship/immigration applications.
I'm sure they don't but those applications are not considered consular services.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Montreal Mike : it works both ways; try getting *correct* information, & help, as a UKC, from a British Consulate in Canada; or as a French citizen from a French one.

While the British one (in Montreal) was unfailingly polite, & the French one (ditto) intransigently bureaucratic, neither actually did more than direct us back to their respective websites. From research on which our original questions had arisen...

(We were trying to register our Canadian born baby for the relevant citizenships. The Brits were right: the info & relevant directions were straight forward & easy, once we *found* the relevant website pages. The French still have us spinning in a bureaucratic limbo where one refers us to the other ... & back again ...)
Old Jan 14th 2014, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

Easiest way to get a photo of a baby with no head support is to do it with them laying down on a sheet of the appropriate colour I think. I have a feeling they need to be done by a photographer, don't they? They don't like the kiosk ones? Hope that helps.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 2:24 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Hope helps

You don't have to use a hand to support the baby's head. 20 years ago we took our baby daughter to a photographer to have her passport photo taken. He put her baby carrier on the floor, covered it with a white sheet, then placed her into the baby carrier (natural support for her head) and took her photo that way. The photo turned out great.
Old Jan 14th 2014, 3:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hope helps

As the others have said, there's no reason why the photo can't be taken of the baby just lying down. That's what we did for our newborn babies when we needed passports for them.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 5:38 am
Just Joined

Senzascusa is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jayna
Hi hope someone can help me as there is so much info its confusing..

I am trying to apply from the uk for my newborn's passport.
father is Canadian and i am British
From my understanding it cost 100 CA
and all i need to send is the Babies British long Birth certificate ..

If this is the case how can they confirm the baby is eligible
also they ask for a guarantor can this be a friend who has known me for more
than 2 years who is a teacher ?

any advice is great -Thank you

Hi Jayna, I'm about to be in the same predicament. We are planning to move to Canada in the next few months but I 33 weeks pregnant. What did you discover. Can we not fly without the cert of citizenship? Does it take over a year?

We're just trying to consider if I should be hopping on a plane asap to have this baby in Canada? Then my husband would stay behind here to tie up loose ends and ship our belongings to Canada.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 1:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Senzascusa
Hi Jayna, I'm about to be in the same predicament. We are planning to move to Canada in the next few months but I 33 weeks pregnant. What did you discover. Can we not fly without the cert of citizenship? Does it take over a year?

We're just trying to consider if I should be hopping on a plane asap to have this baby in Canada? Then my husband would stay behind here to tie up loose ends and ship our belongings to Canada.
I believe you can apply for a citizenship cert and a limited validity passport at the same time as long as the child is under 2 (which will be true in your case). The only thing I could find online regarding this is here:

Passports for new-born children

"Passports for new-born children

In general, all child passport applications must be accompanied by a proof of the child’s Canadian citizenship.

When urgent travel requirements exist, or when a newborn must have a passport in order to obtain a legal residency status abroad, parents can apply concurrently for the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship and for a passport, which will be limited in validity to the normal timeframe required to produce the child’s Certificate of Canadian Citizenship. This option is only available for children under 2 years of age."

If you contact your nearest Canadian Embassy/Consulate, they should be able to help you.

I would not travel to Canada to have the baby unless you have health insurance. For example, I know that there's a 3 month waiting period in Ontario before OHIP coverage kicks in.
Old Jun 28th 2014, 2:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond reputeDashie has a reputation beyond repute

And I'm not sure that newcomers insurance covers having babies? I have a feeling mine didn't, although that was a while ago now. What's your status in the UK? Would leaving to have the baby have a bearing on it's British citizenship status?