Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian milk?

Canadian milk?

Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian milk?

Originally Posted by Hangman

Brown Cow was half and half milk and root beer.

There you go, all you never wanted to know about A&W drinks.
Sounds lush! I'll have to make some. I used to love Spezi in Germany, which was half coke, half fanta...a dirty brown colour. Not averse to mixing my drinks
Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:24 pm

hot wasabi peas is an unknown quantity at this point

If you go back far enough. Fifties and sixties, "Brown Cow" was a drink at A&W.
This is in the days when A&W was still a drive-in.

They also had Swamp Water, that was half and half root beer and orange drink. A personal favourite for many years.
There was another I believe called Jungle Juice that would have been thirds milk, root beer and orange drink.

Wow! Blast from the past! I loved A&W as a kid! Such a treat and to eat in the car! and have all your teenburger, fries and swamp water brought to you by girls on rollerskates... on a tray that hung on to your half-rolled down window. Pure genius!

Thanks for that Hangman
Old Aug 25th 2005, 6:25 pm
Cowtown

At the risk of being flamed ......there is some sort of difference between Canadian and UK milk. A number of nutritionists in Calgary will confirm that they are seeing increasing numbers of British children who used to tolerate UK milk but cannot drink Canadian milk. So if you start to see strange reactions/behaviours dont discount milk as the cause just because your child has always had milk.

A blender will froth your milk nicely. Or Rubbermaid drinks containers work in an emergency - just shake really well

Old Aug 25th 2005, 7:23 pm
It's a Barbie world

Indigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really niceIndigo is just really nice

If you go back far enough. Fifties and sixties, "Brown Cow" was a drink at A&W.
This is in the days when A&W was still a drive-in.

They also had Swamp Water, that was half and half root beer and orange drink. A personal favourite for many years.
There was another I believe called Jungle Juice that would have been thirds milk, root beer and orange drink.

We used to drink Swamp Water too! It was a favourite at birthday parties. Ew. And remember "milk and pepsi"? (Laverne and Shirley, that's showing my age I think) It was so foul... but I kept trying it over and again...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Why would you be flamed - do we have secret milk marketing board members amongst us?!

Seriously though, that's interesting. Do they have any idea what has caused that? Is it just a milk intolerance or other dairy too? We haven't been affected by anything, that we've noticed, lucky I suppose. I can't attribute Jr's moodswings and tantrums to anything more than being 2 and inheriting bad genes. And not getting his bubbly milk!

Originally Posted by Cowtown
At the risk of being flamed ...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:44 am
BE Enthusiast

sysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to allsysclp is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Thanks HWP. If British milk is homogenised (assuming it is - I just googled and see that Waitrose ORganic is not, implying everything else is) - maybe it's just my temperature that's wrong. I'll set the fridge colder, or maybe try 1% or skim? Or tell the little monkey that the bubbler thingy is broken for good and he can lump it
My husband has a frother for his cappucino and it works fine on 1% which is what we buy. They also sell little battery operated ones at The Bay so yours is probably similar (mini hand blender looking thing) so it should work. Ours is a glass thing that you pump a plunger up and down to make it froth.
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:53 am
Cowtown

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
Why would you be flamed - do we have secret milk marketing board members amongst us?!

Seriously though, that's interesting. Do they have any idea what has caused that? Is it just a milk intolerance or other dairy too? We haven't been affected by anything, that we've noticed, lucky I suppose. I can't attribute Jr's moodswings and tantrums to anything more than being 2 and inheriting bad genes. And not getting his bubbly milk!
I thought perhaps there might be a flaming for suggesting something as "good and wholesome" as Canadian milk might be a bad dietary choice. Trust me - I know I sound completely insane when I say milk affects my sons behaviour/digestion. I know there are people who dont believe me - but you have to see it in action to understand it.

If those moodswings/tantrums dont go away at the right sort of time just bear in mind what I said. It took us two years to figure it out.

Also watch out for tartrazine in candy - I think its banned in the UK so your son might never have had it before........just dont mix it with pop!

Old Aug 26th 2005, 5:53 am

Originally Posted by Indigo
And remember "milk and pepsi"? (Laverne and Shirley, that's showing my age I think)

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Schemeal...schlemazel.... Hasenfell (?) Incorporated!
We're gonna do it.... "

I tried the milk and pepsi too (because I sooooo wanted to be Laverne ) but hated it as well. I did like a few scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass with orange pop poured over though. Was a name for that?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 6:30 am

I thought perhaps there might be a flaming for suggesting something as "good and wholesome" as Canadian milk might be a bad dietary choice. Trust me - I know I sound completely insane when I say milk affects my sons behaviour/digestion. I know there are people who dont believe me - but you have to see it in action to understand it.

If those moodswings/tantrums dont go away at the right sort of time just bear in mind what I said. It took us two years to figure it out.

Also watch out for tartrazine in candy - I think its banned in the UK so your son might never have had it before........just dont mix it with pop!
Tartrazine is not banned in the UK. It's called E102 in the UK and it's in a lot of stuff. I'm an avid label reader and finnicky about what I eat (for the most part) and see it on labels all the time.

It's called 'Yellow Number 5' in Canada (and the US) and also found in a lot of products there as well ... most notably, for me, it's in wasabi .

(For those who also have a wasabi addiction, you can get wasabi without it - it's just not as pretty loooking.)
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:08 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas

"1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8.
Schemeal...schlemazel.... Hasenfell (?) Incorporated!
We're gonna do it.... "

I tried the milk and pepsi too (because I sooooo wanted to be Laverne ) but hated it as well. I did like a few scoops of vanilla ice cream in a glass with orange pop poured over though. Was a name for that?
Well, most pop with ice cream is called a float (i.e. a coke float, a rootbeer float, etc)...so I guess it would be an orange float?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 8:09 am
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

When I was little, it was a coke float made of diet coke, a scoop of vanilla ice cream, and chocolate syrup. I've got my husband drinking them now, but we leave out the chocolate syrup!
Old Aug 26th 2005, 9:55 am

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Well, most pop with ice cream is called a float (i.e. a coke float, a rootbeer float, etc)...so I guess it would be an orange float?
Float! Yes, that's it... creamsicle float! Thanks...

Oh... I'm now remembering vanilla ice cream and cream soda (that really red, really sweet pop). Even as a kid I thought that was too sweet. :scared:
Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:33 pm
Cowtown

Originally Posted by hot wasabi peas
Tartrazine is not banned in the UK.
Hence why I said "I think..." rather than "I know..." Is it allowed in candy?

Old Aug 26th 2005, 2:58 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Hence why I said "I think..." rather than "I know..." Is it allowed in candy?
I know of it mainly from orange squash, I must be the only mum not missing the stuff in Canada, it was banned in our house there just as I hope to keep this place Kool Aid free (or is that really naive?!)

Just googled and got some hits for tartrazine in Bachelors Marrowfat peas, mushy peas, Walkers football crisps, bubble gum, cookie making kits, muffin making kits, icing pens...

I also see a report that showed 14 of 196 samples of various products showed E numbers to be present that were not listed on the ingredients, including things such as tartrazine in Haribo supermix gummi sweets and Kola Kubes. Scary.

I was speaking to a British mum the other day who said she thought it was great that there were no E numbers on labels in Canada...doh...had to explain to her that Canada was unlikely to use the EU numbering system for additives but the same old junk was in junk food here as there. She probably thought Lucky Charms were healthful for wee Johnny or whatever his name was
Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:02 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Judging by the odd behaviour displayed by kids for about a week after Halloween, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that most candy is laced with speed.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.