Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian House Sale Prices

Canadian House Sale Prices

Old Nov 18th 2008, 4:00 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of
Default Re: Canadian House Sale Prices

Originally Posted by NSpaul
destinationnovascotia is absolutely right - if the buyer's agent's share is, say, 2.5% of the sale price and they negotiate you a discount of $20k the price they are only loosing $500 which is better than the sale not going ahead at all because you (the buyer) thinks the price is too high.
The buyers realtor does get paid on commission and here is where the ethics of the realtor comes in. Some realtors grab the money now and will not negotiate a lower offer, but it is very short sighted. If I negotiate a lower offer for one of my clients, then it may be a few hundred dollars I have lost. But chances are that person will either 1) move again and will use me again or 2) recommend me to a friend.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:02 pm
Forum Regular

chrishoward99 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Dave and Jo
Hi Guys,

Can any one help with details of a web site that gives actual prices paid for property in Canada {Nova Scotia}.

We have sold our place in the UK and are moving next June but like most in the UK we have taken a big {£75,000} reduction on our price to sell.

We are hoping to make up some of the "loss" on our purchase and are hearing lots of stories about vendors taking big reductions on the MLS price but we are hoping to get some idea of the actual trend.

Any references for sites will be really useful.

Many thanks,

Dave and Jo.
any idea on what sort of percentage they are cutting of the mls price? we are in the same boat, but haven't sold yet
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Helen Parnell
Another house up the road, listed in January 08 $562,000. sold in October $400,000.
I hope that house was very over priced to begin with
Old Nov 18th 2008, 6:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=Silverdragon102;6985117]We offered $10,000 below asking price and was accepted. Had a great realtor that advised us on what to offer and when counter offer came in told us to stick to our original which we did and was accepted.

Hi S.D
Same sort of scenario we offered 9,000 less than listed price , but were under pressure to offer more to secure the house ,stuck to our guns as we thought it was a fair price to pay for the property .It paid of and we got it at our initial offer but they left us in no doubt that they had 'begrudginlgy accepted our offer '
Old Nov 18th 2008, 7:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Silverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond reputeSilverdragon102 has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Eastbound;6986169]
Originally Posted by Silverdragon102
We offered $10,000 below asking price and was accepted. Had a great realtor that advised us on what to offer and when counter offer came in told us to stick to our original which we did and was accepted.

Hi S.D
Same sort of scenario we offered 9,000 less than listed price , but were under pressure to offer more to secure the house ,stuck to our guns as we thought it was a fair price to pay for the property .It paid of and we got it at our initial offer but they left us in no doubt that they had 'begrudginlgy accepted our offer '
We didn't do to bad as the seller's realtor said to ours that the sellar said make sure not to loose this sale which was why she said stick to our offer. Guess a lot depends on market and how long it has been on the market. I looked at over 30 in 4 1/2 days which was rather mind boggling but worth it in the end. First house we put an offer on they wanted more and when we said no and gone for this one as we accepted they came back and asked if we was still interested at price we offered. This house we bought has worked out bette as more land for the dogs and more rural
Old Nov 18th 2008, 8:07 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by emmae
Just struggling with the concept of a realtor working on behalf of the buyer yet being paid for their services from the seller.

From my understanding the buyer's realtor receives half of the seller's realtor fees. Probably, stating the obvious but if this is the case, why is it in the buyer realtors interest to negotiate lower prices? Surely lower prices equal lower commission?

There is the ethical and legal side as to why we should always negotiate for our clients benefit, and that is very important, but a Realtor will only become successful if they get repeat business and referrals. So the few $$ we don't make when we negotiate a lower purchase price is not important, but the goodwill we generate when we do a good job is.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:31 pm
Banned

Helen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud ofHelen Parnell has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by chrishoward99
any idea on what sort of percentage they are cutting of the mls price? we are in the same boat, but haven't sold yet
Reading all the threads it really depends on what part of Canada you are moving to.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:36 pm
RETIRED Realtor

MB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond reputeMB-Realtor has a reputation beyond repute

Reading all the threads it really depends on what part of Canada you are moving to.
We (Winnipeg) have some homes where you can put in a lower offer, but we still have homes (the really good ones) where we are getting multiple offers and these are still going for over list price.

The vast majority of homes are still selling at or very near list price.
Old Nov 18th 2008, 10:38 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Posidrive
I hope that house was very over priced to begin with
There is a story to this house sale, and as the original listing agent it was about $10,000 too high in January. They were offered a guaranteed sale by their builder of $480,000. (These are traditionally lower than current value but are guaranteed with the builders agent) They wanted more and refused.

Unfortunatley there are some people in this world who think they know better than builders and realtors. You know the sort, 'I love my house and so it is worth $562,000 and I am not selling it for a cent less

I refused to relist with them, when they refused to listen to me. They had to go back to the builder and their realtor.

As for the $400,000, a Calgary realtor basically did his job for his buyers, saw desperate sellers with two mortgages on the market for 10 months and went for the kill.

The house is worth more than $400,000 but the buyers got a great deal.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 4:43 am
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute

http://app2.interfacexpress.com/pcs/...SearchID=13945

Original, current, and where appropriate, sale prices are listed in these pages. Perhaps there's a similar site for where you're planning to move to.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 12:09 pm
Wanna-be Canadian

loser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant futureloser40 has a brilliant future

Just wondering - are real-estate auctions common in Canada ?

Surely large city's like Toronto and Vancouver must have them regularly !

Does anyone know any Toronto/GTA auction company's... and, generally speaking, I assume prices are notably lower than agent's prices and bargains are their to be had - right ?

TIA,

M.

Last edited by loser40; Nov 19th 2008 at 12:14 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:37 pm
RETIRED Realtor

Originally Posted by loser40
Just wondering - are real-estate auctions common in Canada ?

Surely large city's like Toronto and Vancouver must have them regularly !

TIA,

M.
Auctions are Very Rare.

Lenders in Canada normally sell through Realtors as usually they are selling under a power of sale (prior to foreclosure) legally they have to get the best price they can for the property and the Banks know that Realtors get the best price.

Last edited by MB-Realtor; Nov 19th 2008 at 1:40 pm.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 1:53 pm
Forum Regular

barrett will become famous soon enoughbarrett will become famous soon enough

I have heard from realtor friends that you can count on about being able to come down about 5% in most cases.
I live in rural Halifax (Porters Lake) if you have further questions.
Old Nov 19th 2008, 2:01 pm
BE Forum Addict

Posidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond reputePosidrive has a reputation beyond repute

There is a story to this house sale, and as the original listing agent it was about $10,000 too high in January. They were offered a guaranteed sale by their builder of $480,000. (These are traditionally lower than current value but are guaranteed with the builders agent) They wanted more and refused.

Unfortunatley there are some people in this world who think they know better than builders and realtors. You know the sort, 'I love my house and so it is worth $562,000 and I am not selling it for a cent less

I refused to relist with them, when they refused to listen to me. They had to go back to the builder and their realtor.

As for the $400,000, a Calgary realtor basically did his job for his buyers, saw desperate sellers with two mortgages on the market for 10 months and went for the kill.

The house is worth more than $400,000 but the buyers got a great deal.
That's a bit of a relief. I was starting to panic if it was the general trend.