Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian government petition site?

Canadian government petition site?

Old May 27th 2011, 2:37 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of
Default Canadian government petition site?

Is there any government petition site in Canada like the No. 10 one?

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

We need to do something to change the monopoly system, like mobile phone network, the banking system, etc..
Old May 27th 2011, 3:26 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian government petition site?

Originally Posted by davidsk
Is there any government petition site in Canada like the No. 10 one?

http://petitions.number10.gov.uk/

We need to do something to change the monopoly system, like mobile phone network, the banking system, etc..
Canada's banks and cellphone companies are monopolies?
Old May 27th 2011, 3:44 pm
Forum Regular

davidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud ofdavidsk has much to be proud of

I feel they are.
Here is the CBC news in 2009.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...sive-oecd.html

2010 New America Foundation’s Open Technology Initiative (OTI) report
Canada’s Cell Phone Rates: the Highest in the World
http://www.iphoneincanada.ca/iphone-...-in-the-world/

I didn't use a fancy phone (Sony Ericsson C903) in the UK. I paid £5 per month for a free phone but got 700 mins anytime any network, 300 text, 300 mins anytime same network, and only outgoing charge. Here is ridiculously expensive.

ATM charging for $3 from different banks is expensive as well!

Last edited by davidsk; May 27th 2011 at 3:56 pm.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:53 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvy
Canada's banks and cellphone companies are monopolies?
Cartels is how I'd describe them.
Old May 27th 2011, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Alan2005
We need to voice ourselves to get the government do something about it.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:00 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

We need to voice ourselves to get the government do something about it.
Annoyingly it won't happen. Government works for them not us.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:01 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I feel they are.
Here is the CBC news in 2009.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/st...sive-oecd.html

I didn't use a fancy phone (Sony Ericsson C903) in the UK. I paid £5 per month for a free phone but got 700 mins anytime any network, 300 text, 300 mins anytime same network, and only outgoing charge. Here is ridiculously expensive.

ATM charging for $3 from different banks is expensive as well!
So you want to complain to the government that you feel you're being charged too much for the service of your choice? And your argument is "it was cheaper in the UK therefore i expect the same in Canada"? If Canadians accept and pay the prices, it's these people you need to rally for boycotting the businesses in the same way the UK folk did when banks began charging customers to take money out via another banks ATM.

While you're at it, petition about ICBC. Now THEY'RE a monopoly
Old May 27th 2011, 4:01 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

Surely the cell phone costs are to be expected though considering the vast difference in population density between the UK and Canada.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:03 pm

Originally Posted by el_richo
If Canadians accept and pay the prices.
This is the real problem. With telecomms, Canadians actually defend the high prices cos "it's a big country", and with banking it's "our banks are safe", even though ripping off customers has no relevance to that whatsoever.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by BTJ
Surely the cell phone costs are to be expected though considering the vast difference in population density between the UK and Canada.
People say this, but I think it's just the excuse they use to rip people off. Most of the population in Canada is in cities just and it's not like those people that live in remote areas get good coverage.

They charge what they can get away with and I'm certain they collude on pricing (like when all the cell phone companies said they were going to start charging for incoming texts on the same day a couple of years back)
Old May 27th 2011, 4:13 pm
BTJ
Occasionally Useful

BTJ is on a distinguished road

They charge what they can get away with and I'm certain they collude on pricing (like when all the cell phone companies said they were going to start charging for incoming texts on the same day a couple of years back)
The incoming thing on texts and calls does seem mightily unfair, but I'm not sure if that is my UK upbringing or that it is genuinely unfair. I can understand for a friendly chat that it would be fair to share the costs, but a company phoning you, seems less fair then.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:37 pm
Slob

Souvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond reputeSouvy has a reputation beyond repute

A better word but hardly unique to Canada.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by el_richo
So you want to complain to the government that you feel you're being charged too much for the service of your choice? And your argument is "it was cheaper in the UK therefore i expect the same in Canada"? If Canadians accept and pay the prices, it's these people you need to rally for boycotting the businesses in the same way the UK folk did when banks began charging customers to take money out via another banks ATM.

While you're at it, petition about ICBC. Now THEY'RE a monopoly
We need to get the government attention to create a policy to stop the cartel. When enough people sign a petition, the government will put the issue into the next agenda.

Is there any consumer union to organize a rally?
Old May 27th 2011, 4:51 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BTJ
The guy in Roger's shop confessed the mobile phone market is very lucrative in Canada. Surely the main reason is not because of vast land or population.
Old May 27th 2011, 4:58 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

This is the real problem. With telecomms, Canadians actually defend the high prices cos "it's a big country", and with banking it's "our banks are safe", even though ripping off customers has no relevance to that whatsoever.
Silly buggers

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.