Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Financial Advice

Canadian Financial Advice

Old Apr 10th 2019, 2:42 pm
BE Forum Addict

Hurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond reputeHurlabrick has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian Financial Advice

We will soon be in the market for financial advice in Canada. Looking for investment advice for lump sums to generate long term income. NOT looking for anyone with UK to Canada background as I have that covered. Canada seems to be about 10 years behind the UK in terms of 'transparency' and explicit charging for advice and still relies on a blizzard of hidden charges to fund commission, but hey, it is what it is. I used to work in financial services back office in the UK, so I am familiar with a plethora of hidden charge methods from historic UK products from the 70's onwards.

I was planning on having a bit of a 'beauty parade' of a few advisers before we decide on one.

Any suggestions or recommendations or outfits to avoid? Live in London, ON.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 5:01 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Financial Advice

I karma'd you my suggestion Great guy - totally honest, up front - as is his partner Brian. Full disclosure, I worked for them years ago..
Old Apr 10th 2019, 6:21 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Does such a thing as a truly independent (charge you a fee for the advice not rely on commission) financial advisor exist in Canada? I've not found one in this part of the world. I do have a guy I trust, whose commissions seem to be reasonable or at least on a PAR with the market and who is getting me reasonable returns, but independent he is not.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
Does such a thing as a truly independent (charge you a fee for the advice not rely on commission) financial advisor exist in Canada? I've not found one in this part of the world. I do have a guy I trust, whose commissions seem to be reasonable or at least on a PAR with the market and who is getting me reasonable returns, but independent he is not.

Yes you just need to ask them what method they charge by- most advisors these days should be fee based, which means that their interests are aligned with your interest, disclosure I work for one of those companies as an associate- there are plenty of good ones out there, you should go on recommendation from friends experiences.
Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shelley748
Yes you just need to ask them what method they charge by.
and they will dance and dance and dance and not tell you.

you should go on recommendation from friends experiences.
Invariably the response is along the lines of "better to stuff it in the mattress". I can certainly find more recommendations for used car dealers than financial advisors among the people I know. Even the coffee shop owner, a CFP himself, shrugs and says, "I put it into the restaurants".

Old Apr 10th 2019, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

We've been with Assante for over 15 years, and been very satisfied with them. We went to them on the recommendation of someone who had been with them for about 30 years after signing up with them when he was only in his 30s and looking to maximize his savings and future income.

In BC, financial advisors have to disclose the fees they charge ............. Assante does so. No idea whether other advisors here do.

Assante has branches all over the country.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 1:58 am
BE Enthusiast

glendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond reputeglendem4 has a reputation beyond repute

Save your money on advice and invest following the Canadian couch potato. Open a direct brokerage account with National Bank or Questrade and you can make commission free trades. XBAL.TO is up 8% to date and yields over 2%. The etf is split 60/40 stocks to Bonds. Commission is 0.25%. Otherwise go down GIC option and look at ratehub.ca for best rates. Oaken offers around 3%.
<SNIPPED>

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 11th 2019 at 5:38 am. Reason: You cannot advertise your services in a post, 9. Advertising in Forum Posts
Old Apr 11th 2019, 12:49 pm
Just Joined

Kanukki is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by glendem4
Save your money on advice and invest following the Canadian couch potato. Open a direct brokerage account with National Bank or Questrade and you can make commission free trades. XBAL.TO is up 8% to date and yields over 2%. The etf is split 60/40 stocks to Bonds. Commission is 0.25%. Otherwise go down GIC option and look at ratehub.ca for best rates. Oaken offers around 3%.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 2:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

shelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond reputeshelley748 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
and they will dance and dance and dance and not tell you.

Invariably the response is along the lines of "better to stuff it in the mattress". I can certainly find more recommendations for used car dealers than financial advisors among the people I know. Even the coffee shop owner, a CFP himself, shrugs and says, "I put it into the restaurants".

wrong in both cases

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/c/crm2.asp
Old Apr 11th 2019, 3:01 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

"go on recommendation from friends experiences" Not wrong about that.
Old Apr 11th 2019, 9:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

CanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond reputeCanadaJimmy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by glendem4
<SNIPPED>
Yep this is the route I go. I just use Questrade and put my money in some index ETFs. You can find many that have grown around 5%-7% each year on average over the course of the past decade.

https://www.reddit.com/r/PersonalFinanceCanada/ is a great resource as well.