Canadian Experience

Canadian Experience

Old Apr 18th 2004, 4:28 pm
Forum Regular

Stupid guy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Experience

Folks,
Another question.

What about people who have worked for in the US for good well known companies like IBM/Microsoft/Oracle etc for over 8 to 10 years....and move to Canada?

Does this kind of experience meet or exceed the so called "canadian experience" or do we start from zilch like we were born yesterday again once we land in Canada ??? Just curious?
Old May 4th 2004, 8:07 pm
mickj

The answer to that is yes you start from Zilch. Don't forget most qualifications in IT have their origins in the US, and i remember being in blighty taking parts of my MCSE courses.

I have friends that worked in IBM, Accenture and microsoft by the thames in london, and we still fell into the CE trap when we came over here, even though we had a degree, MCP et al

Old May 10th 2004, 2:35 pm
Forum Regular

ThemeOne is an unknown quantity at this point

So here's a question for you. If you have to start from the bottom again due to lack of "Canadian Experience" (despite the fact that in IT it will be no different from experience elsewhere) what's the point of going to Canada?

And isn't the Canadian Experience thing just a ruse used by Canadian employers to pay new arrivals less money?
Old May 10th 2004, 2:49 pm
BE Forum Addict

CalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really niceCalgaryAMC is just really nice

Originally posted by ThemeOne
So here's a question for you. If you have to start from the bottom again due to lack of "Canadian Experience" (despite the fact that in IT it will be no different from experience elsewhere) what's the point of going to Canada?

And isn't the Canadian Experience thing just a ruse used by Canadian employers to pay new arrivals less money?
I would not recommend making a career move to Canada, unless you've been headhunted or have something quite specific in mind.

People move for other reasons, mainly quality of life reasons. There are lots of solid quality of life reasons for moving to Canada.

Most will tell you that the employment scene in Canada is parochial and riddled with patronage and nepotism. There are some exceptions. I don't know of any, but I am confident they exist.

I have wondered about this quite a lot and for the life of me can't figure out why it's like this. The only conclusion I can reach is that Canada's chronic high unemployment leads to this sort of protectionism/looking out for your own. I'm all ears to any other theories though.
Old May 10th 2004, 2:50 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by ThemeOne

What is the point in coming? Most people would say its the change in their quality of life, rather than any advancement in their career, also many people feel there children will have a better life here.

It is true that some employers will lowball new immigrants because they realise that from the prospective employees POV any job is a step up the ladder. Unfortunate but true. I think they also realise that if they dont start paying a resonable wage fairly soon, the newly "experienced" immigrant will not stay working for them for long.

I've said this many time here, do not emmigrate for financial or career advancement, it just doesnt happen that much. Emigrate because you identify with the social values and lifestyle of the country you are choosing. The job/salary thing will sort itself out if you give it enough time.

As far as the OP goes, I would think that several years of service with a US based world recognised company will not be unnoticed be canadian employers, and you are unlikely to start "at the bottom", but also unlikely to start at the same level you are at now. Once you get outside of North America though, employers will not recognise "well known" european companies to the same degree, and are suspicous of non american qualifications. The american influence is a lot stronger here for obvious reasons.

Good Luck

Iain
Old May 10th 2004, 4:17 pm
Forum Regular

SentApril2002 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Experience

Originally posted by Stupid guy
Folks,
Another question.

What about people who have worked for in the US for good well known companies like IBM/Microsoft/Oracle etc for over 8 to 10 years....and move to Canada?

Does this kind of experience meet or exceed the so called "canadian experience" or do we start from zilch like we were born yesterday again once we land in Canada ??? Just curious?
Not necessarily. The issue won't be your experience, but many places may see you as "over-qualified" or "over paid" if you have spent many years in the US. Even Canadians who go to school, then work in the US can have a very difficult time getting back into the Canadian IT industry.
Old May 10th 2004, 5:43 pm
Forum Regular

Some interesting posts here, with the comments about job seeking very much tying with my own experience on a recent recon visit to Toronto.

In view of the apparent importance of contacts in Canada, I wonder if there are local British associations or social groups that new arrivals can hook up with for a bit of networking, help, general chat etc.

A search on the internet unveiled www.calcarybrits.com, but nothing else. Anyone have any info on this?
Old May 10th 2004, 5:51 pm
mickj

Yes....there is one called " the newcomer canadian programme", they basically tell you all about writing your resume, interview skills, and send you off somewhere to work, sometimes for free to gain some experience.

In my case, its was volunteer work that did it for me, and years later, am still helping those that helped me. Red cross of Ontario, heart and stroke foundation, food bank, and i coach soccer to under 8 kids.

Old May 11th 2004, 2:26 pm
Forum Regular

Sorry, the website I mentioned should have been www.calgarybrits.com

It does seem strange there's nothing similar for, say, the Toronto area.

Is there a website for this "Canadian newcomer programme"?
Old May 11th 2004, 3:19 pm
mickj

I will find it for you and post it !