Reload this Page >

Canadian Elections in October

Canadian Elections in October

Old May 22nd 2019, 9:21 pm
Forum Regular

Ajk1 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Elections in October

hi all,

i have been reading up on the elections in Canada in October where there is some suggestion there could be some changes made to immigration policies if the Conservatives come into power. Do you know what this could mean for the Express Entry? Could they abolish the Express Entry system? I have heard it is best to try and move to Canada before any new party takes over. What are people’s thoughts on this?

Thanks
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:32 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Canadian Elections in October

Originally Posted by Ajk1
hi all,

i have been reading up on the elections in Canada in October where there is some suggestion there could be some changes made to immigration policies if the Conservatives come into power. Do you know what this could mean for the Express Entry? Could they abolish the Express Entry system? I have heard it is best to try and move to Canada before any new party takes over. What are people’s thoughts on this?

Thanks
This is exactly the reason why I applied for citizenship when I was eligible otherwise under the last conservative government I would still not be eligible.

With express entry and PR, if you have the points apply as soon as you can
Old May 22nd 2019, 9:39 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo

This is exactly the reason why I applied for citizenship when I was eligible otherwise under the last conservative government I would still not be eligible.

With express entry and PR, if you have the points apply as soon as you can
+1. And I would say always apply if eligible, regardless of potential government changes. Things change so often in immigration, that it’s not worth risking.

I was working for an immigration consultant when ‘the list’ was introduced (29 eligible occupations only that qualified as Federal Skilled Workers). Suddenly out of those scoring over 67 and meeting the other criteria, 95% of our database were ineligible. It wasn’t fun.

Old May 23rd 2019, 1:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Vulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond reputeVulcanoid has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ajk1
hi all,

Thanks
Could the Conservatives abolish Express Entry? Sure. Are they likely to? Less so than the Liberals, since the last Conservative govt were the ones who made it in the first place.

Any government could change the immigration rules at any time to be anything. If you want to move, the best time to do so is when you qualify.
Old May 23rd 2019, 2:34 am
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

One never knows what a new government will do, even if they promise to do or not do something on the campaign trail.

I have experience of British elections and 50 years of experience in Canada, and I never believe campaign promises. I vote for the local candidate based on how I think s/he will be for the constituents.

In this case, it will not be the Conservative candidate!

As said above, if you have the points to apply for Express Entry now, then go ahead and do it ............... though I don't know whether there is time for the process to work through before the election takes place!
Old May 23rd 2019, 5:25 am
Forum Regular

Ajk1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all, thanks for your messages. We are in the pool with 437 points. At the moment it doesn’t look like the points are coming down so it’s bit of a waiting game.
Old May 23rd 2019, 8:25 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vulcanoid
Could the Conservatives abolish Express Entry? Sure. Are they likely to? Less so than the Liberals, since the last Conservative govt were the ones who made it in the first place.
My understanding though is that it was originally invented as a means to weed out those people Canada didn't want and vastly speed up the process for applicants who did make the grade. It's obviously much more difficult to do that with a paper-based application system. Abolishing EE entirely is unlikely but the qualification criteria can be changed at almost any time.

OP; it might be worth seeing if you can increase your points slightly somehow while you're so close to the threshold.
Old May 23rd 2019, 9:11 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost
OP; it might be worth seeing if you can increase your points slightly somehow while you're so close to the threshold.
Agreed. OP, what did you both score on IELTS, is there any potential for getting more points if you re-took it?
Old May 23rd 2019, 9:49 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

It might also be worth pointing out that as far as I can gather, the hot political topic in Canada right now in terms of immigration isn't skilled immigrants. It's refugees and in particular the clandestine arrivals from the US into Quebec.

​​​​Scheer is talking about a 250k annual cap, not killing off Canada's legal immigration programs completely. The current FSW and EE criteria are far from a cake walk for most people and that's reflected in the size of the pool. You can't compare it to UK policies and politics. UK net migration was just over 250k last year. That includes returning UK citizens and international students and still the UK government wants those numbers to be massively reduced.
Old May 23rd 2019, 10:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

scilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond reputescilly has a reputation beyond repute

It might also be worth pointing out that as far as I can gather, the hot political topic in Canada right now in terms of immigration isn't skilled immigrants. It's refugees and in particular the clandestine arrivals from the US into Quebec.

​​​​Scheer is talking about a 250k annual cap, not killing off Canada's legal immigration programs completely. The current FSW and EE criteria are far from a cake walk for most people and that's reflected in the size of the pool. You can't compare it to UK policies and politics. UK net migration was just over 250k last year. That includes returning UK citizens and international students and still the UK government wants those numbers to be massively reduced.

Living here, I can tell you that this is correct. Thousands of people have been crossing the border from the US, using any way they can to get out of the US and away from Trump's crackdown on refugees and immigrants from certain countries..

The land border between Canada and the US is unprotected from the Pacific to the Atlantic, apart from the controlled border crossings where immigrants and refugees are expected to apply, or in the Great Lakes region of Ontario. In many places, it is just a simple walk through a forest or agricultural land.

BC, Manitoba and Quebec seem to have had the most problems with this. Almost all those crossing have been people who have refugee status in the US, but then claim refugee status in Canada. They're all in limbo, as every one has to have a hearing to prove/disprove their status. Canada has an agreement with the US re a refugee with status in either the US or Canada cannot then claim the same status in the other. They have to be returned.

Quebec has received the most refugees using this route, for obvious geographical reasons, but all provinces have been overloaded with the need to take care of people unable to work while they wait up to 2 years (at the current estimate) for their hearing.

This has caused a lot of unhappiness, especially among refugees and immigrants trying to enter Canada the legal way.

THAT is where the Tories are likely to make changes, though it is hard for me to see how they can stop people walking across an unguarded land border ............ the situation might get even worse if Trump gets in for a second term.

Maybe he will decide to build a wall on the US's northern border with Canada as well as along the southern border!!!

But almost all of these people escaped to the US, claiming refugee status, and had been granted some form of status, including being able to work in many cases, before Trump was elected ............ but they have all been scared by Trump's declarations about getting rid of immigrants.

I don't think there is much reason for a legal immigrant to worry about a shut-down, although there have always been tweaks to requirements.

Last edited by scilly; May 23rd 2019 at 10:55 pm.
Old May 23rd 2019, 11:05 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by scilly
THAT is where the Tories are likely to make changes, though it is hard for me to see how they can stop people walking across an unguarded land border ............ the situation might get even worse if Trump gets in for a second term.
The saddest part is that they can't even rely on nature to do that for them. Some people have been permanently maimed or scarred for life by illegally crossing the border at the wrong time of year and without adequate protection from the elements.

A northern border wall won't be necessary from a US standpoint though. Right now those people are leaving America in one way or another and that was precisely the dream that Trump sold to his supporter base. Canada could build one but that would likely take a very, very long time and would cost a fortune.

Last edited by DigitalGhost; May 23rd 2019 at 11:08 pm.
Old May 24th 2019, 12:31 am
BE Forum Addict

The saddest part is that they can't even rely on nature to do that for them. Some people have been permanently maimed or scarred for life by illegally crossing the border at the wrong time of year and without adequate protection from the elements.

A northern border wall won't be necessary from a US standpoint though. Right now those people are leaving America in one way or another and that was precisely the dream that Trump sold to his supporter base. Canada could build one but that would likely take a very, very long time and would cost a fortune.
The Trumpoid has actually threatened a northern wall ............. about 2 years ago when he was trying to get the Canadian government to agree to his terms for some trade deal.

He raised that old "fake news" about some of the 9/11 terrorists having entered the US from Canada, therefore it was our fault (or so go those who believe it).
Old May 24th 2019, 9:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by scilly
The Trumpoid has actually threatened a northern wall ............. about 2 years ago when he was trying to get the Canadian government to agree to his terms for some trade deal.

He raised that old "fake news" about some of the 9/11 terrorists having entered the US from Canada, therefore it was our fault (or so go those who believe it).
By far the most obvious mistake I heard regarding the 9/11 hijackers was to admit one of them to the US despite the fact his visa had already expired. That mistake was the fault of the INS and nobody else. All the in-fighting and one upmanship that took place between the FBI and the CIA at the time probably didn't help much either.