Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian companies in/around London, UK

Canadian companies in/around London, UK

Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:32 pm
Forum Regular

davedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond repute
Default Canadian companies in/around London, UK

Hi all,

I've been planning to move to Canada for a looong time but not much joy so far.

I'm not a UK passport holder (hence working holiday visa is not an option) and my occupation(IT) is not eligible so cannot apply under FSW either.

My plan is to look up companies here in Berkshire or in London that have their HQ in Canada or British companies that have offices in Canada. So that I could transfer to Canada one day on a TWP if the company says yes to relocation. What do you think? Is it do-able?

Not too sure where and how to start looking as google didn't seem to return much info. Any ideas, please?

Thank you

-davedba
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:34 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian companies in/around London, UK

Originally Posted by davedba
Hi all,

I'm not a UK passport holder (hence working holiday visa is not an option) and my occupation(IT) is not eligible so cannot apply under FSW either.

My plan is to look up companies here in Berkshire or in London that have their HQ in Canada or British companies that have offices in Canada. So that I could transfer to Canada one day on a TWP if the company says yes to relocation. What do you think? Is it do-able?

Not too sure where and how to start looking as google didn't seem to return much info. Any ideas, please?

Thank you

-davedba
Sounds like a long shot to me, personally. There are plenty of IT jobs here, so there's no reason why you couldnt find an employer in Canada willing to go through the LMO/TWP process.... but you have to put some effort in yourself and come out and pound the streets.

Getting a job in the UK so that you might be able to get a job in Canada seems a bit backwards to me.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Hi all,

Thank you

-davedba

Seems like a long shot way to get to Canada, there are easier ways Im sure.

FSW still works if you can land a job in Canada, and thats as least is likely as finding a job in the UK with Canadian connections and hoping to engineer a transfer.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:40 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

i would assume even if you got a job with a company that had offices in Canada...you would have had to have been there a while and be a valued employee to obtain relocation..i dont assume you could join then 6 months later ask to be relocated
Old Jun 26th 2012, 6:54 pm
Forum Regular

davedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond reputedavedba has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Seems like a long shot way to get to Canada, there are easier ways Im sure.

FSW still works if you can land a job in Canada, and thats as least is likely as finding a job in the UK with Canadian connections and hoping to engineer a transfer.

Thanks very much for your speedy response.

I would love to hear those easier ways so if you have something in mind, please share

Being a EU passport holder, getting a job in the UK was pretty easy and only took 10 days or so. The trouble is that the LMO processing times in Canada scare off most of the recruiters/companies. I mean who would wait at least 3 months for an employee? How do you convince those people?

cheeky_monkey, You might be right but I'm willing to work here another year or two if there's a chance to relocate.

iaink, FSW is out of question

Thanks.

-davedba
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:05 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

I would love to hear those easier ways so if you have something in mind, please share

Being a EU passport holder, getting a job in the UK was pretty easy and only took 10 days or so. The trouble is that the LMO processing times in Canada scare off most of the recruiters/companies. I mean who would wait at least 3 months for an employee? How do you convince those people?

cheeky_monkey, You might be right but I'm willing to work here another year or two if there's a chance to relocate.

Thanks.

-davedba
My employer did....

Literally THOUSANDS of TWPs are issued every year (150,000+ last year). Obviously thats not putting some employers off. Faint heart never won a fair maiden.

You convince these people by bringing some skill to Canada that they cant find locally I guess. Same way you would have to convince a UK employer that you are needed for their Canadian operations.

Do you have a portugese passport then? I cant think of too many other european ones that dont have some sort of working holiday arrangement with Canada.

Do any of the many provincial nomination schemes offer any options, there is more to Canadian immigration than simply working holiday, skilled worker and international transfers.

Besides, Canada is a very big place, Presumably in all your planing a move here you realise that. An intercompany transfer to Toronto wont tick too many boxes if you have fallen in love with the Rockies

Last edited by iaink; Jun 26th 2012 at 7:39 pm.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:23 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Hi, and welcome to BE.

Do you have a partner? If so what does s/he do? There are other options other than a job offer, such as studying or a community based program.

The trouble is that the LMO processing times in Canada scare off most of the recruiters/companies. I mean who would wait at least 3 months for an employee? How do you convince those people?
Unless of course they're eligible for an A-LMO, then it's only 2 weeks max.

Another year or two? Is a company going to be prepared to transfer you after such a short time? Do also make sure you'd qualify for an intra-company transfer, info in this Wiki link - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Intra-...ransfer-Canada

And why is FSW out of the question? If you had a job offer, would that not give you enough points?

FWIW, I agree with the above posters - finding a job in Canada is going to be easier and quicker than finding a job working for a company with offices in Canada, then trying to convince them to transfer you (what if they just say no?), etc. Seems a hell of a long shot to me.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 7:30 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.

-davedba
I got my ass on a plane, flew out to Calgary and got some interviews arranged. Secured a job offer, and then 8 months later (yes, 8 months) when the LMO was secured, we flew out and started the job.

If you really want to make the move, you'll make it happen. If you're only prepared to sit at home and hope that something happens, you'll be waiting a long time.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:00 pm
Forum Regular

My employer did....

Literally THOUSANDS of LMOs are issued every year (150,000+ last year). Obviously thats not putting some employers off. Faint heart never won a fair maiden.

You convince these people by bringing some skill to Canada that they cant find locally I guess. Same way you would have to convince a UK employer that you are needed for their Canadian operations.

Do you have a portugese passport then? I cant think of too many other european ones that dont have some sort of working holiday arrangement with Canada.

Do any of the many provincial nomination schemes offer any options, there is more to Canadian immigration than simply working holiday, skilled worker and international transfers.
Thanks for your response, that's good to hear that it indeed works.

Of course acing the tech interview is essential.. but wondering if that's enough for them to go through all the hassle? Most of the PNPs require at least some Canadian experience (work or education) or a current work permit so right now that is a no go.

No, not Portugese but Hungarian passport

christmasoompa,

Thanks for your input.

Nope, no partner. I've checked already whether there are programs that suit me but to be honest most of these are part time courses that offer only certifications last for 2-4 months the most. So again, post graduate work permit is out of question here.

What do you mean by community based programs?

That's a shame but never heard about the A-LMO, will definitely have a read on this and see if I'm affected (NOC 2172-A).

OK, I guess I'm just being naive here regarding this transfer thing. None of you would go that way, right? Understandable but thought about that option as my last chance.

jericho,
Yes I really want to make it happen and not waiting for a miracle. It was kinda similar when I moved here to the UK some 8 months back...and before that to Germany 2 years ago. What I'm saying is that I like to sort things out first, make a decision that makes sense and go for it.

Shall I just pack my bag and go then and see who is willing to apply for an LMO??

Again thanks very much for your replies, you've been very helpful!
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Most of the PNPs require at least some Canadian experience (work or education) or a current work permit so right now that is a no go.
Most, yes, but not all of them.

What do you mean by community based programs?
Something like the Community Identified Stream, under the NS PNP - you don't need a job offer for that.

Shall I just pack my bag and go then and see who is willing to apply for an LMO??
Yes! Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, get out there, and hopefully you'll come back with that all important job offer.

Good luck.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:29 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
Most, yes, but not all of them.

Something like the Community Identified Stream, under the NS PNP - you don't need a job offer for that.

Yes! Read the Job Hunting section of the Wiki, get out there, and hopefully you'll come back with that all important job offer.

Good luck.
I will definitely do some research on the above topics! Thanks for the hints!! I soon will be back and post some new questions in a new thread.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Good luck.
Or at least some real world experience of what its like in Canada once you get past postcards of mountains and smiling mounties...

I like Canada and what it offers me and my family well enough, but if the opportunity hadn't just fallen in my lap I dont know I would have actively planned the expense and hassle of moving here from the UK.
Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:37 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Or at least some real world experience of what its like in Canada once you get past postcards of mountains and smiling mounties...
Yep, if a 2 week job hunting trip can be considered 'real world experience'! Presumably the OP has visited at some point in the past at least.

I like Canada and what it offers me and my family well enough, but if the opportunity hadn't just fallen in my lap I dont know I would have actively planned the expense and hassle of moving here from the UK.
Ditto.

Old Jun 26th 2012, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

Yep, if a 2 week job hunting trip can be considered 'real world experience'! Presumably the OP has visited at some point in the past at least.

Ditto.

I know the country well I must say (at least as a tourist), have done quite a fair bit of travelling all over except the east coast so I know what to expect for more or less. However, living there is a different story I'm sure. Looking forward to it!
Old Jun 27th 2012, 7:42 am
Forum Regular

Siphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant futureSiphorous has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jericho
I got my ass on a plane, flew out to Calgary and got some interviews arranged. Secured a job offer, and then 8 months later (yes, 8 months) when the LMO was secured, we flew out and started the job.

If you really want to make the move, you'll make it happen. If you're only prepared to sit at home and hope that something happens, you'll be waiting a long time.
This is kind of my plan. Not Calgary but the plan being the same.

A query though - when you arrived, can you remember what you said to CBSA when they ask why you're in Canada?

I have friends I can stay with for the 6 months max allowed but I'm concerned that if I say I'm going to look for opportunities (even if I mitigate that by explaining I'd be doing everything above board) - they might not let me in.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.