Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship with a twist...Help....

Wikiposts

Canadian Citizenship with a twist...Help....

Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:17 am
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship with a twist...Help....

Originally Posted by Mrs. B.
Hi me again, can you tell me if 'certificate of proof of Canadian citizenship' and 'application for a Canadian citizenship certificate' are the same thing? Will try my best not to take too many stupid pills tomorrow
Ok now I'm talking to myself but I think I've worked it out. Consulate sent me paper work about a year ago that are the CIT0001 forms and the link you have showed me is CIT0003 forms. Which one do I use? I will try calling the consulate here again in the morning but they usually don't answer and call me back the next working day which wont be til Monday so any help would be fantastic as I'd love to get this underway and in the post asap. Hopefully the office in Sydney will reply soon too.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 1:34 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Ok now I'm talking to myself but I think I've worked it out. Consulate sent me paper work about a year ago that are the CIT0001 forms and the link you have showed me is CIT0003 forms. Which one do I use? I will try calling the consulate here again in the morning but they usually don't answer and call me back the next working day which wont be til Monday so any help would be fantastic as I'd love to get this underway and in the post asap. Hopefully the office in Sydney will reply soon too.
It is the CIT0001 you need to use. The original link I sent you was this - it was just the photo page link that was to the other one.

Originally Posted by siouxie
You use this application package for the Citizenship Certificate(s): http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/informa...ons/certif.asp

General info:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof-how.asp

The application is submitted to Sydney, Nova Scotia.

Citizenship and Immigration Canada
Case Processing Centre–Proof
P.O. Box 10000
Sydney, Nova Scotia B1P 7C1

Current processing times is 6 months from receipt of acknowledgement.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:02 am
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice

It is the CIT0001 you need to use. The original link I sent you was this - it was just the photo page link that was to the other one.

Thank you so much. I got a reply, my email was forwarded to the Sydney NSW Australia office and this is what it said.

Dear Madam, As your children will be eligible for Canadian citizenship, an application for sponsorship is not required for the children. If they are not in possession of Canadian passports, then they could return to Canada with their NZ Passports and enter as temporary residents.

So should I still go ahead with the CIT 0001 form? I'm guessing I should as I am pretty sure that they will need some sort of something at POE. Why cant anything be simple? I will call the wellington nz office now and see what they say.
Old Apr 18th 2013, 9:18 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thank you so much. I got a reply, my email was forwarded to the Sydney NSW Australia office and this is what it said.

Dear Madam, As your children will be eligible for Canadian citizenship, an application for sponsorship is not required for the children. If they are not in possession of Canadian passports, then they could return to Canada with their NZ Passports and enter as temporary residents.

So should I still go ahead with the CIT 0001 form? I'm guessing I should as I am pretty sure that they will need some sort of something at POE. Why cant anything be simple? I will call the wellington nz office now and see what they say.
You can certainly start on the application - it takes up to 6 months for it to go through, so no need to wait. You do not have to have the certificates at the POE, bring their Birth certificates and your own Citizenship certificate - they won't get refused entry, particularly if you show proof of application for their certificates.

If you haven't received their certificates by the time you leave NZ then just change the address online to your new one in Canada.

I think you may be over worrying about stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, it's just a process.. take a deep breath... and relax.

Old Apr 18th 2013, 12:20 pm
Forum Regular

You can certainly start on the application - it takes up to 6 months for it to go through, so no need to wait. You do not have to have the certificates at the POE, bring their Birth certificates and your own Citizenship certificate - they won't get refused entry, particularly if you show proof of application for their certificates.

If you haven't received their certificates by the time you leave NZ then just change the address online to your new one in Canada.

I think you may be over worrying about stuff that really isn't that big of a deal, it's just a process.. take a deep breath... and relax.

I think you are right, I'll be taking more than a deep breath, more like a large bottle of vino. All done and dusted. Off to the post office now to post it all. Once again, thank you so very much for all your help on this. You have no idea how grateful I am! Its people like you that make a site like this so fantastic!
Old Apr 18th 2013, 2:00 pm
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

I was born in 1976, got my citizenship in 2008.
Do you have a Canadian citizenship certificate? If so, what exactly does it say (leaving out personal details).

Prior to 15 February 1977, a person born outside Canada to a Canadian father only acquired Canadian citizenship if it was registered at a Canadian diplomatic mission. When the law changed in 1977, there was a deadline set for those born before that date to be registered. CIC kept extending the deadline but finally closed the door on new applications in August 2004. Nothing then happened until the change in the law in 2009.

In other words, it's not clear how you could have got your Canadian citizenship in 2008.

My older children were born in Ireland and because I am married to a kiwi, they both have new Zealand and irish citizenship.
Are you aware that the children born in Ireland are NZ citizens by descent, and what it could mean for the next generation:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Have you also got NZ citizenship, as well as Irish? If not, have you at least got an indefinite returning resident visa to get you back to New Zealand in the future?
Old Apr 18th 2013, 10:28 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JAJ
Do you have a Canadian citizenship certificate? If so, what exactly does it say (leaving out personal details).

Prior to 15 February 1977, a person born outside Canada to a Canadian father only acquired Canadian citizenship if it was registered at a Canadian diplomatic mission. When the law changed in 1977, there was a deadline set for those born before that date to be registered. CIC kept extending the deadline but finally closed the door on new applications in August 2004. Nothing then happened until the change in the law in 2009.

In other words, it's not clear how you could have got your Canadian citizenship in 2008.

Are you aware that the children born in Ireland are NZ citizens by descent, and what it could mean for the next generation:
http://britishexpats.com/wiki/New_Ze...hip_by_Descent

Have you also got NZ citizenship, as well as Irish? If not, have you at least got an indefinite returning resident visa to get you back to New Zealand in the future?

Wow that's a lot to process, sounds like you are trying to catch me out and make me feel guilty for leaving nz. You are right in some respects, I actually got my citizenship in 2001 and my passport in 2008. Are am not a fake. Thankfully I am one of the lucky ones that can call 3 countries home.

Not bothered to my kids kids, can only think about the here and now which is my kids, which means I will try every city possie til we are all happy.

Interesting that u mention my residency, what does it matter?
Old Apr 19th 2013, 10:53 am
JAJ
Retired

JAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond reputeJAJ has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's a lot to process, sounds like you are trying to catch me out and make me feel guilty for leaving nz. You are right in some respects, I actually got my citizenship in 2001 and my passport in 2008.
Are am not a fake. Thankfully I am one of the lucky ones that can call 3 countries home.
No-one is suggesting you're fake. However, it's now clear that your Canadian passport wasn't issued by mistake (that happens). It would be unfortunate for you (or anyone) to use an invalid Canadian passport.

Not bothered to my kids kids, can only think about the here and now which is my kids, which means I will try every city possie til we are all happy.
Of course.

Some people are upset at not finding out the consequences of being citizens by descent until too late. So consider yourself told! And make sure the children know that when they are older.

Interesting that u mention my residency, what does it matter?
It means that if you decide to return to New Zealand at a future date, will you be able to? Are you a New Zealand citizen?
Old Apr 20th 2013, 10:54 am
Forum Regular

I don't think I could cope if I found out my passport was issued by mistake! But thankfully its not!

Originally Posted by JAJ
No-one is suggesting you're fake. However, it's now clear that your Canadian passport wasn't issued by mistake (that happens). It would be unfortunate for you (or anyone) to use an invalid Canadian passport.

Of course.

Some people are upset at not finding out the consequences of being citizens by descent until too late. So consider yourself told! And make sure the children know that when they are older.

It means that if you decide to return to New Zealand at a future date, will you be able to? Are you a New Zealand citizen?