Reload this Page >

Canadian Citizenship

Canadian Citizenship

Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:14 pm
Banned

Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Canadian Citizenship

Hi All,

I am going to apply for citizenship next month, what are your experiences about it, any special type of considerations which I take into account. Also please tell me how much time it takes for getting citizenship.

Thanks and have a good day?

Johnson
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:22 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Canadian Citizenship

Originally Posted by Johnson
Hi All,

I am going to apply for citizenship next month, what are your experiences about it, any special type of considerations which I take into account. Also please tell me how much time it takes for getting citizenship.

Johnson
It's a piece of cake really. The paperwork is rather simpler than all the other stuff we had to fill in. The only complicated bit is finding character references.

A few weeks after you apply, you'll get the study booklet. Stick it in a drawer. You're looking at about a year before you're called for the test (which is a doddle). You'll do the test and then, on the assumption you pass, will be called back later for the ceremony (unless, like me, you live somewhere where they do both at the same time). I found it all a bit of an anticlimax. Makes life a little easier at airports, though.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:27 pm
Banned

Johnson is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for prompt reply, Could you please tell me what is meant by character references?

Thanks
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:29 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I think they must have beefed up the test recently. We were in a pub where the landlord had a study guide and sample questions and they were a great deal more difficult than I remembered - we had to google for most of the answers.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:40 pm

Hi ,

Thanks a lot for prompt reply, Could you please tell me what is meant by character references?

Thanks
I think, although I may be wrong because it was a couple of years ago, that the form asks you to provide contact details for people who can confirm that you are who you say you are (doctors etc). I'm really not sure, though.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir
I think, although I may be wrong because it was a couple of years ago, that the form asks you to provide contact details for people who can confirm that you are who you say you are (doctors etc). I'm really not sure, though.
I just sent my application in in October and I don't think that's the case anymore.

I ordered the forms online and they mailed them to me within a few days. Anyway here is the website it has lots of useful info. about processing times etc.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/citizenship/index.asp
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:57 pm
Banned

livermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond reputelivermanl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Elaine B.
I just sent my application in in October and I don't think that's the case anymore.

I ordered the forms online and they mailed them to me within a few days. Anyway here is the website it has lots of useful info. about processing times etc.

I think you need a 'professional' to refer you for your passports I.E. a doctor, engineer (anyone with a license). but can't be sure
Old Mar 6th 2008, 1:58 pm

Originally Posted by Elaine B.

I think you're probably right. I can't get the form to download on the website. On reflection, I remember it was the passport application that needed references (none of whom were contacted).
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:23 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by livermanl
I think you need a 'professional' to refer you for your passports I.E. a doctor, engineer (anyone with a license). but can't be sure

That's correct & applies for UK passports too. I had to get a 'Professional Engineer' to countersign my photos. 'Professional Engineer' now theres an oxymoron.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 2:30 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by livermanl
Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
That's correct & applies for UK passports too. I had to get a 'Professional Engineer' to countersign my photos. 'Professional Engineer' now theres an oxymoron.
Not anymore for a Canadian passport. It changed last fall.

All you need now is another person who holds a valid Canadian passport.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section2.as...&region=Canada

Last edited by Steve_P; Mar 6th 2008 at 2:45 pm. Reason: Added link about guarantor.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:10 pm
Guinness is good for you.

Airseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud ofAirseir has much to be proud of

Hi All,

Johnson
It is comming up for my three years so I will be applying soon. Am I right that you can not apply untill you have done your three years even though it could take up to a year before you sit the test?

Has any-one sat the test earlier than a year after applying?
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:22 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Not anymore for a Canadian passport. It changed last fall.

All you need now is another person who holds a valid Canadian passport.

http://www.ppt.gc.ca/cdn/section2.as...&region=Canada
I had to give references (in addition to photo certifier/guarantor) because my previous Canadian passport was issued outside of Canada - meant I had to use the "non-simplified" application form, or something like that

Last edited by Biiiiink; Mar 6th 2008 at 7:26 pm.
Old Mar 6th 2008, 7:31 pm
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Airseir
It is comming up for my three years so I will be applying soon. Am I right that you can not apply untill you have done your three years even though it could take up to a year before you sit the test?

Has any-one sat the test earlier than a year after applying?
Yes. My daughter sat her test approx 6 months after sending in the application, as did a friend of mine.
Old Mar 7th 2008, 1:11 am
Arrived at last!!

woodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond reputewoodmanbg has a reputation beyond repute

Hi All,

Johnson
Good luck. My OH has a while to go yet before he can apply for citizenship.